Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 08:59 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times

Advertisements

I like a DJ to talk about the music but not commercials.

Sirius XM meets that criteria but with a million channels to choose from I still don't like most of them. Best ones are on the app.

I like WUNC music okay and That Station is all right sometimes, but veers a little too close to Bro-Country for my taste.

The Loft on Sirius was probably my favorite, but I just don't listen to it much anymore since it moved to the app.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2022, 10:49 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
I'm riding the Sirius $6 / month promo for now but will drop it if I can't renew for another year at that price. I like it well enough but I do not like the NPR station on satellite and much prefer the schedule and local programming of WUNC NPR here in the Triangle over the old school radio.

Fun fact: I only yesterday discovered how to stream sirius XM on my Amazon Echo in my house. I am terrible with technology.

Old 12-31-2022, 01:56 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm riding the Sirius $6 / month promo for now but will drop it if I can't renew for another year at that price. I like it well enough but I do not like the NPR station on satellite and much prefer the schedule and local programming of WUNC NPR here in the Triangle over the old school radio.

Fun fact: I only yesterday discovered how to stream sirius XM on my Amazon Echo in my house. I am terrible with technology.
I have had SiriusXM since 2016. Right now I am paying the most I have ever paid. $6.50/month.

Mark your calendar for your annual renewal date. They will email you late in your subscription with a new rate.
Call them and say, "Gosh. I don't want to pay that. What can you do for me?"

Old 12-31-2022, 02:28 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
People still listen to broadcast radio? I get all my music from Pandora and Spotify. For free. If I want radio talk, iHeartRadio is there.
Some people will, of course, listen to sports talk regardless, many others don't use streaming services. Back in the pressure ing days DVRs never got over 50 percent penetration into homes. Some people just stick with what they have.

Old 12-31-2022, 05:53 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Call them and say, "Gosh. I don't want to pay that. What can you do for me?"
This. For over a decade I've done that and they drop the price without fail.

Old 01-03-2023, 07:55 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
The 93.5 transmitter that carries the oldies programming on 850 AM has only 250 watts of effective radiated power. It's actually located south of Lake Wheeler off Barney Franks Rd. Don't expect this signal to carry far. I can't get it at all in north Raleigh. https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pa...8CZ&service=FX

To make things worse, the oldies programming is no longer available on an 94.7 HD channel. And even worse, 850 AM now puts out only 120 watts at night (https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pa...ice=AM&s=C&h=N).
I noticed this, too. The stations aren't coming in clear enough for me, the AM station sounds extremely hollow and there is a loud buzz on whatever broadcast I'm getting from 93.5FM. ~ It was a FOXY 104.3 weekend in my kitchen.

I took the FM dial tour the other day, and my thoughts are: How many Spanish channels and mainstream garbage channels do we really need here??!

I am still grieving the loss of WSHA 88.9FM (Shaw) , they played the best jazz, oldies, and funk fridays were my favorite. They still had real djs. Now after the sale - all they play is programmed Christian rock - and it's God awful! Even 88.1 WKNC is always playing some weird emo stuff every time I go by there....lol

Old 01-03-2023, 08:25 AM

5,884 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I am still grieving the loss of WSHA 88.9FM (Shaw) , they played the best jazz, oldies, and funk fridays were my favorite.
Me too. I loved "The Blues Are the Blues Are The Blues". I didn't know you could sell a college radio station, but obviously you can.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:50 AM

598 posts, read 333,157 times
Not only do I still put on broadcast radio sometimes, but I still put on over-the-air broadcast television sometimes!

Old 01-03-2023, 08:53 AM

598 posts, read 333,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That Station is all right sometimes, but veers a little too close to Bro-Country for my taste.
You know, I liked them for a while but I feel like recently whenever I put them on they do seem more Bro-Country-ish. Were they always like that and I just didn't notice?

Old 01-03-2023, 01:10 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,301 times
SiriusXM is like the radio with a ton more choices. Each station still all plays the same 50 (or less) songs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary