Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 07:11 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times

Advertisements

+1 for Dorcas. https://dorcascary.org/dorcas-shop/

Another, maybe a bit closer to Mo'ville, is Guardian Angel Thrift in Apex (just across US 64 from Costco in the Food Lion Plaza):
https://www.guardianangelthrift.org/

^Good cause, transparent, local, etc...

I regularly donate to both, both are great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 11:08 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Ever since I found out about GCF, I've been going to Dorcas on High House.

Old 01-05-2023, 11:14 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Might be helpful if you give the OP a recommendation then....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

If you have time, you might consider the Salvation Army Family Store off Tryon Road in south Raleigh.
Salvation Army runs lean financially and a very high percentage of their proceeds is funneled to their mission.
https://goo.gl/maps/YCd2hxat5mTYzyK48
I was the accounting manager for the SW headquarters of the salvation army for about 3.5 years. Mike is absolutely correct - that organization uses pencils down to the nubs.

They are absolutely at the top of MY personal donation list - used goods and cash. But I fully recognize that many people are uncomfortable with their mission and some of their philosophical/religious positions, so I rarely suggest them anymore.

I'm not familiar with Dorcas, but with the number of recommendations here, I promise I'll do my due diligence and consider them in the future.

Old 07-07-2023, 08:23 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,021 times
I've seen these clothing donation drop boxes all over Raleigh and I went there once to donate items and a guy walking by that works at the store where they were sitting in the parking lot said not to bother because he said most of it goes to the dump. I haven't done any research on whoever places and manages those drop boxes to see if they're a legit operation and where the donations go.

Old 07-07-2023, 08:42 AM

137 posts, read 306,239 times
I donate mostly to Dorcas. Cat Angels also has a thrift shop off of Cary Pkwy, which supports animal rescue.

Old 07-07-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
In my professional career, I was an auditor of that specialized in audits of non-profit organizations.

The very last place I would donate to, our buy from, or support with a damn cent of my money is Goodwill of Eastern NC. (aka GCF.)

Please note: Goodwill is a regional organization. Some are great, some are good, some are simply mismanaged, and some should have their 502(c)3 taken away as painfully as possible and their executive and BOD fined to the highest limit of the law. Sadly, the local GCF falls into the last group.

For a non-profit mission that has integrity and used your generous donations to support their charitable mission, look elsewhere. GCF is scum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet
OP - there are MANY well run, financially stable and trustworthy nonprofits that derive income from thrift shops. If you would like to share a few charitable causes that matter to you, I'd be happy to research some suggestions.

Our household donations go to Durham Rescue Mission. There ARE other organizations that I'd be okay with.

[In my somewhat educated world, cash donations are judged differently than items we donate to thrift shops. But that's a different topic for another day.]
Someone gave me a rep point on this thread, reminding me to to come and add another suggestion (and thank you MikeJanquish for telling me about it).

Dorcas Ministries in Cary.

Old 07-08-2023, 12:29 PM

465 posts, read 699,779 times
I donate to Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) because they come to my house and pick up.

I don't know what happens down stream but I hope it is well-run.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
I donate to Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) because they come to my house and pick up.

I don't know what happens down stream but I hope it is well-run.
They aren't. They are among (too many) military and veteran related charities to receive a failing grade from Charity Watch. (Scroll to the bottom of the list.)

https://www.charitywatch.org/charity...rans-charities

And here's what happens to your donations to their 'recycling' program. https://www.charitywatch.org/charity...ogram-debunked

Old 07-09-2023, 09:03 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
what about local church
I dont know if this is still true,back then for some reasons Brazilians need a lot of consumer goods,people will sell clothes on EBAY and they will buy in bulk.
There is also AMZN where people asking for certain things,I recall N Dakota Indian reservation asking for clothes (no drycleaing required),trash bags,toys,food ,everything.
But then you have to pay shipping

Old 07-09-2023, 01:58 PM

465 posts, read 699,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
They aren't. They are among (too many) military and veteran related charities to receive a failing grade from Charity Watch. (Scroll to the bottom of the list.)

https://www.charitywatch.org/charity...rans-charities

And here's what happens to your donations to their 'recycling' program. https://www.charitywatch.org/charity...ogram-debunked
Oops, thanks for letting me know. Guess I'll have to look up other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary