Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 09:55 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,200,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Guessing this is for me. We moved to Southport in 2018, after 6 years in Cary and almost 5 near Brier Creek While we really like our home and where we live, we feel there would be several advantages to moving back:
Living in closer proximity to our closest friends, one couple in N Raleigh and one couple in Durham.
I also have a married niece who lives in Raleigh who is expecting her second child as well as a nephew (her brother) in Raleigh.
I miss the convenience of being close to certain stores and currently drive 30-45 min to get to them.
Proximity to a better airport. I’m now 30 min from the Wilmington airport and 1 hr 15 min to Myrtle Beach.
The area I live in currently is very conservative, we prefer one that is more liberal.
We’re considering a townhome…downsizing a bit and having someone do all the yard maintenance.

There are also several disadvantages….cost of housing has skyrocketed in the Triangle since we moved. Property taxes are higher there, interest rates are up. OTOH, our home here has also increased significantly in value.

Again, we’re only in the discussion phase and in all likelihood, we’ll end up staying put. We both want to take a ride and check out Chatham Park and see it firsthand. All we’ve seen is what’s online.
Sorry that was for the OP.

I love Southport. We’re still exploring all the coastal areas but it’s one of our favorites so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 10:00 AM

2,839 posts, read 2,951,404 times
Chatham park really feels mis priced for locals and it's had slow development for like 6 years. Chatham is turning the corner into a an aspirational high end suburbia but I dunno really feel like I see the tension between if you build it they will come vs come and then build it.

Tldr it's priced way above it's location so I guess you're buying for promised future amenities

Old 01-15-2023, 10:19 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,374,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Sorry that was for the OP.

I love Southport. We’re still exploring all the coastal areas but it’s one of our favorites so far.
Ha, got it. We loved Southport from the minute we drove into town. So glad we purchased in 2017 (moved a year later) because prices here have also risen significantly. The growth in Brunswick County is crazy….St James currently has about 4000 homes and there is a new parcel just adjacent to STP being developed with a targeted 7000 residences. We thoroughly enjoy living here Sept-May….summers are crazy. Can’t even find parking in town to enjoy the restaurants/waterfront.

Old 01-15-2023, 11:41 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,795,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmom2 View Post
......What is the vibe of the neighborhood? Are people social? .....
If you do not get answers from residents, I suggest driving there on a warm weekend day, and see who is out and about. Visit the park also and talk to the residents.

I am concerned about the close spacing of the houses. I would ask about the HOA policy on fences, as I have seen no fences from the aerial view. Also ask about the policy on dogs, as I think the lots are too small for a large dog. If a large dog is chained in a yard all day, it will be unhappy, and defensive about nearby dogs.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:15 AM

341 posts, read 211,132 times
I think Chatham Park will be scaled back in the long run. It has small lots and mini cottages with walkable retail that seem like a neo-urbanist concept. There's definitely a market for that, but I can't see the type of buyer they appear to be targeting wanting to live so far away from any cultural amenities or nightlife. You would absolutely have to drive to Raleigh or Durham for a decent dinner date, theater, museum, club, etc...not close by, either.

Likewise, VinFast may or may not have a big impact on the area. With the economy slowing down and interest rates rising, the outlook for EV cars has diminished substantially. Its notoriously difficult to bring a foreign car brand to the USA and find a niche.

Old 01-17-2023, 02:30 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,215,355 times
I don't think Chatham Park is going to slow down too much. I was out there at a restaurant a couple of weeks ago. Briar Chapel is very popular as are Meadowmont and Southern Village. Chatham Park is just a bigger version of that.

However, @ljd1010 it is a long way from North Raleigh and Durham. It's pretty close to Chapel Hill (20 minutes) and Apex (20 minutes) but it's probably at least an hour from your friends in North Raleigh.

Old 01-17-2023, 03:49 PM

341 posts, read 211,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I don't think Chatham Park is going to slow down too much. I was out there at a restaurant a couple of weeks ago. Briar Chapel is very popular as are Meadowmont and Southern Village. Chatham Park is just a bigger version of that.

However, @ljd1010 it is a long way from North Raleigh and Durham. It's pretty close to Chapel Hill (20 minutes) and Apex (20 minutes) but it's probably at least an hour from your friends in North Raleigh.
It isn't close to Chapel Hill. If you work at the University, be prepared to tack on significantly more commute time because you'll be driving to a park and ride lot. If you're lucky enough to have a designated parking space, you're probably paid well enough to live in Chapel Hill. Apex is only 20-25 minutes away yes, but has none of the cultural amenities that many neo-urbanist types look for when selecting a place to live. Chatham Co. makes great sense for someone wanting a reasonable commute to Apex/Cary and who also wants a large lot and single family home. For a "walkable community" that targets a more progressive and younger generation, I think one could find a better option almost anywhere in the Triangle.

Meadowmont and Southern Village are much smaller than CP is supposed to be, and they are on the bus line that goes to/from the University. Not really a reasonable comparison.

Chatham Park was envisioned during historically low interest rates and a very strong economy. Many planned and/or partially developed projects completely stalled during the last recession. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:16 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,215,355 times
I live in Chapel Hill and just drove down there and ate at a restaurant in Chatham Park. It took about 20 minutes from my house on the northern side of UNC, maybe 25 minutes. Not bad at all. There might be buses from Chatham Park to Chapel Hill in the future. There's already the Chatham Co park & ride that you mentioned. I have known many people who worked in Chapel Hill over the years and lived in Chatham — far more actually, than folks who lived in Durham and worked in Chapel Hill, although that's just my friend group.

I imagine Chatham Park will be very successful as it builds out over the coming years. Can't say I won't miss old Chatham, though, and I am sorry this didn't go in Wake Co somewhere with the rest of Sprawleigh. For the record I also miss the old Rosemary Street in Chapel Hill. The new high rises going in there just seem so out of place to me, but I'm old. I'm sure to the new crops of 18 year olds every year they will seem normal. Sometimes I miss the '90s.

Last edited by poppydog; 01-18-2023 at 05:25 PM..

Old 01-19-2023, 02:26 AM

264 posts, read 149,175 times
I hate the high-rises. I remember the little Asian restaurant/grocery store that's now Brandwein's bakery/catering. At least the church opposite is still there. Wonder how long before that's gone too.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:30 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,200,284 times
Another thread where the OP never returned. I never understand this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary