Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 10:29 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times

Advertisements

A pool where there's no swim teams would be nice too. TAC is used by at least 4 high schools, probably more and has its own swim team. Panther Creek uses Morrisville Acquatic Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 11:51 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashonly View Post

There are MTB trails at Lake Crabtree which appears to be within the Cary city limits.
Not to quibble, but I believe that would be Morrisville. Their address is 1400 Aviation Pkwy, Morrisville, NC 27560. Cary has great greenways though.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:52 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
Thanks for the link. I voted for racquetball. Great sport and current options get crowded at times.

Old 01-23-2023, 02:58 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Not to quibble, but I believe that would be Morrisville. Their address is 1400 Aviation Pkwy, Morrisville, NC 27560. Cary has great greenways though.
They're not in either Cary or Morrisville...the whole issue is that they're on airport property, which is not part of any municipality.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:47 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
For "public" pools, I guess I was thinking pools where you don't need a membership like TAC and can just pay for the day. This is like it is with the Morrisville Fitness and Aquatics Center (which outshines Cary by having TWO racquetball courts available without a membership).

There are MTB trails at Lake Crabtree which appears to be within the Cary city limits.
The Morrisville Aquatics Center was originally built in the mid 80s as an amenities center for the Huntington development that was to pretty much run up and down Morrisville parkway (at the time Crosstimbers Parkway). The developer went bankrupt and stopped more development. Some of the land got bought by Preston Development, to add more golf holes and additional new houses, and the existing neighborhoods mostly got rolled into Preston also. Morrisville also considered trying to buy some of the land and do a muni course.

The town of Morrisville renamed the road to Morrisville Parkway when the school was being built. They wanted it to be named for the town, but the school system policy at the time was to name schools after the road they were on and it was to be Crosstimbers Elementary, so bing bang boom, change the name of the road and what can the school system do? Then they eventually bought the fitness center and made it a town facility.

Anyway, back to my original point, in the 80s, racquetball was much more popular than now, which is why the courts are there.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:11 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
A pool where there's no swim teams would be nice too. TAC is used by at least 4 high schools, probably more and has its own swim team. Panther Creek uses Morrisville Acquatic Center.
Is that even possible? I would expect the commercial viability of an indoor swim facility to be based upon the recurring revenue from swim teams.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:08 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Is that even possible? I would expect the commercial viability of an indoor swim facility to be based upon the recurring revenue from swim teams.
Unless it's a heavily subsidized public facility, you are correct...you're not going to make a profit unless you're pumping a zillion kids through there. Even the public pools rent out tons of lane space to swim teams.

Old 01-24-2023, 02:03 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
For "public" pools, I guess I was thinking pools where you don't need a membership like TAC and can just pay for the day. This is like it is with the Morrisville Fitness and Aquatics Center (which outshines Cary by having TWO racquetball courts available without a membership).

A membership to MFAC is $30/mo for residents, $35/mo for non-residents. A single visit is $6 ... surely you'd play enough to make the monthly worthwhile? How are their courts reserved/held - online, first-come, what?

You could also join the Taylor Y for $90/mo for 2 people, and they have racquetball.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:50 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,170 times
I love racquetball. Fun, great workout. Totally infeasible. 2 players(4 in a doubles game) per court for an hour at a time. So if you fill the schedule the court serves what, 24 players a day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary