Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:57 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
People in Chapel Hill tend to be philosophically liberal ...
That's why Jesse Helms advocated putting a fence around the place and renaming it "NC Zoo" instead of building one in Asheboro! LOLOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 06:40 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
That's why Jesse Helms advocated putting a fence around the place and renaming it "NC Zoo" instead of building one in Asheboro! LOLOL
Y'know, there are some people on this board who would prefer to live in a conservative community. And others who would prefer to live in a liberal one.

Congratulations -- in this state at least, we all win! This isn't Massachusetts, or Alabama. We can all choose between different lifestyles and be neighborly. I don't see what we accomplish by bringing politics into these threads. :-(

My own preference would be to not live in a highly-conservative community, but I won't denigrate a town or, by extension, its residents because of their politics.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:04 PM

927 posts, read 1,458,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Having lived in Cary and worked in Chapel Hill.....I think someone needs to calm down and realize this is an internet forum and take my OPINION for what it is and get over it.
Perhaps your own unsolicited ADVICE would be as beneficial for your own use as well ...

I too, lived in Cary and worked in Chapel Hill...

it's not that rare ...

Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Y'know, there are some people on this board who would prefer to live in a conservative community. And others who would prefer to live in a liberal one.

Congratulations -- in this state at least, we all win! This isn't Massachusetts, or Alabama. We can all choose between different lifestyles and be neighborly. I don't see what we accomplish by bringing politics into these threads. :-(

My own preference would be to not live in a highly-conservative community, but I won't denigrate a town or, by extension, its residents because of their politics.

I am inclined to think I was being VERY appropriate in my wording of the statement that got this issue twisted around as such ...

Thin skinned politics can't see past their own pseudo intellectual short comings ...

I have ALWAYS been an advocate of a saying by Mark Twain:
I shall never allow my schooling to interfere with my education

Old 01-08-2007, 07:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
I know...that's my point. It's not as if I'm the only person who finds Cary to be snobby.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
I am inclined to think I was being VERY appropriate in my wording of the statement that got this issue twisted around as such ...
No argument here. I thought your post absolutely captured that (i.e., Chapel Hill is philosophically liberal... folks who like S.F. might like it here.) I was referring to the turn of tone later in the thread.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:28 PM

54 posts, read 359,004 times
Yikes! Who knew this would get so heated. I'll be coming into town next weekend to see for myself. I'll give you a philosophically liberal (they used to call us hippies) outsider's opinion when I get back.

On a side note: if Chapel Hiil is centered around UNC students and staff, then how are they affording to live there? I read somewhere that the median priced home is around $400k. Am I misinformed?

Old 01-08-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
No argument here. I thought your post absolutely captured that (i.e., Chapel Hill is philosophically liberal... folks who like S.F. might like it here.) I was referring to the turn of tone later in the thread.
That is why I replied to your post ... trying to side step a conflict elsewhere ...

Old 01-08-2007, 07:33 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Toes View Post
On a side note: if Chapel Hiil is centered around UNC students and staff, then how are they affording to live there? I read somewhere that the median priced home is around $400k. Am I misinformed?
Some professors may make enough...but more likely also the doctors at the UNC Hospital.

Also, times have changed. Half of the people I know who live in Chapel Hill work for big companies in RTP just like a lotta other folks throughout the Triangle. The town's "anchor" may be UNC, but its economic vitality is spreading towards RTP as time moves on.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Toes View Post
Yikes! Who knew this would get so heated. I'll be coming into town next weekend to see for myself. I'll give you a philosophically liberal (they used to call us hippies) outsider's opinion when I get back.

There are a lot of apartments there ... money has invested well in the area & the University pays educators fairly well too.

Back in the day I used to be a hippy type
... now I am just a long haired cuss who could care less about being accepted!

I even hitch hiked around the country (48 states worth and from B.C to Ontario) in the 70's ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary