Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:02 PM

880 posts, read 2,856,179 times

Advertisements

Hehe, if you lived in the Atlanta burbs than it is no where near as snobby (Fayette County-Peachtree City GA anyone?!!!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,389,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
-Believe me. Chapel Hill stinks. Basically, everyone on this board has said the problem with Chapel Hill (a snooty, elitist, town out of hell). If you are looking to get away from California, this is not the place for you for many snobby Californians move here and bring that attitude with them. I have been to California and I liked that state better. There really is no culture down here, and I expect a LOT better for a college town. Cary, on the other hand, I would recommend. However, that is just me. It's a lot quieter than loudmouth Chapel Hell with these arrogant college jerks. You would think that especially with this being a college town and all. I am not originally from NC either. Your words ''a community that is educated, liberal, tolerant and safe'' is exactly what I would expect. You would also think that because the fact Chapel Hill is a college town you'd be bound to find an intellectual or someone you can have an intelligent conversation with but no. About the only kind of people you have here are: excessive sports fans, public drunks of all sorts (and the bus rides in this town are free so they ride like crazy), and the biggest obnoxious clowns you will find this side of the Mississippi. I was quite taken by the laid back attitude of most of the West Coast states, but these east coasters are a bunch of ppl. who pride themselves in being loud and obnoxious in general. Not to mention that Chapel Hill is an expensive place to live like the rest of the state. Just to jot down everything wrong with this town would take longer than a college essay. Durham is another town a lot like this one to avoid like the plague but I won't get into that. Don't believe any douchbag who tells you Chapel Hell is great (it is far from). I could go on and on but I will stop here. I would take this before South Carolina though :-)
Wow buddy. Bad day? I support anyone's right to "think" what they want to, but I just don't see how an entire town can be labeled all one way. I don't care for the liberal culture in Chapel Hill at all, so I would not live there. However, I can guarantee you there are some awesome people there. I know people who live in CH and they are just as nice as anyone else. What you will find with people many times is when they put down their political beating stick and just deal with you one on one, they will be fine people. I think the bigger issue for some people not appearing nice can be how wealth and political thought can change how someone interacts with others. Sometimes people forget about the little things that make or break the enjoyment of every day. That's why I prefer to live in the country, where things are slowed down and people seem to take the time to enjoy and not be all wound up about whatever they happen to be into. I think there are nice people everywhere, but sometimes they are so busy trying to get where they think they want to be that they forget about what is really important.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,770,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
Doesn't Lewis Black have a home there? He's not a snob...
I don't know if he does, but surely you are aware that hundreds of non-snobby people can live somewhere but it still be "snobby" as a whole; I used to manage a bookstore in Chapel Hill and did find there to be "certain element of snobbiness" there that I've never seen anywhere else in NC--specifically uber-educated Northeastern retirees who thought anyone who didn't know every page of the NYT magazine, The New Yorker, and other "elitest" publications was a completely uneducated hick not worth talking to.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,921,806 times
labhornc- obviously chapel hill is not for you but your general dismissal and condemnation are way out of line. I suspect you carry that attitude about everything you don't agree with.
Chapel Hll is agreat place to live and we just made great sacrificies and adjustments to bring our family here for the education system and all that chapel hill offers. Life is too short to live in a place where you are so unhappy. Chapel Hill fits us perfectly and I only wish we had moved here 20 years ago. We spent 30 years in Fayette County, GA and that was about 28 years too long.
If you don't like diversity, open mindedness and aren't open to experiencing ways of thinking which just might be a bit different from your own old ways,then by all means don't come to Chapel Hill.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:49 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,333,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
Doesn't Lewis Black have a home there? He's not a snob...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I don't know if he does
He does! He told me (he bought a desk for his home here, I was there to help him load it)

And he definitely isn't a snob. He is a very nice man.

Last edited by DanielleNC; 06-22-2009 at 10:00 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,493,447 times
Ridiculous. There are snobby/not snobby people pretty much everywhere. I found people in CH to be very down-to-earth, which was one of the appeals to me. There are people with multi-million dollar homes walking around in their fleece jacket and jeans, very friendly, etc.. Others who could own such houses, still living in the same mediocre home they'd lived in for 30+ years. This is not a look-how-big-my-McMansion-is kind of place, nor are people elitist imo. They are, in general, very well educated but being well educated and/or intelligent does not automatically make them snobs. My experience was that CH is not a snobby town, although I am certain there are some snobs in it, just as there are in any other town.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:16 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,729,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I don't know if he does, but surely you are aware that hundreds of non-snobby people can live somewhere but it still be "snobby" as a whole; I used to manage a bookstore in Chapel Hill and did find there to be "certain element of snobbiness" there that I've never seen anywhere else in NC--specifically uber-educated Northeastern retirees who thought anyone who didn't know every page of the NYT magazine, The New Yorker, and other "elitest" publications was a completely uneducated hick not worth talking to.
Darn those people who read national magazines and newspapers! Stupid elites, expecting the rest of us to know how to read.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,493,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Darn those people who read national magazines and newspapers! Stupid elites, expecting the rest of us to know how to read.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:52 AM

3,393 posts, read 7,749,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
-Believe me. Chapel Hill stinks. Basically, everyone on this board has said the problem with Chapel Hill (a snooty, elitist, town out of hell). If you are looking to get away from California, this is not the place for you for many snobby Californians move here and bring that attitude with them. I have been to California and I liked that state better. There really is no culture down here, and I expect a LOT better for a college town. Cary, on the other hand, I would recommend. However, that is just me. It's a lot quieter than loudmouth Chapel Hell with these arrogant college jerks. You would think that especially with this being a college town and all. I am not originally from NC either. Your words ''a community that is educated, liberal, tolerant and safe'' is exactly what I would expect. You would also think that because the fact Chapel Hill is a college town you'd be bound to find an intellectual or someone you can have an intelligent conversation with but no. About the only kind of people you have here are: excessive sports fans, public drunks of all sorts (and the bus rides in this town are free so they ride like crazy), and the biggest obnoxious clowns you will find this side of the Mississippi. I was quite taken by the laid back attitude of most of the West Coast states, but these east coasters are a bunch of ppl. who pride themselves in being loud and obnoxious in general. Not to mention that Chapel Hill is an expensive place to live like the rest of the state. Just to jot down everything wrong with this town would take longer than a college essay. Durham is another town a lot like this one to avoid like the plague but I won't get into that. Don't believe any douchbag who tells you Chapel Hell is great (it is far from). I could go on and on but I will stop here. I would take this before South Carolina though :-)
The post you are quoting is nearly a year and a half old. I think the OP has probably made a decision by now.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:07 AM

169 posts, read 777,403 times
For those wondering about this in the future-

I've lived and worked in Carrboro/Chapel Hill for about three years now. I know nothing about the culture of Cary other than its reputation, and the family I know that lives in Cary is incredibly nice and down-to-earth, so I can't compare directly. There are many great people in both Carrboro and Chapel Hill, but among some people there is an element of snobbery as far as political persuasion goes (if you mention anything that goes against a certain doctrine they have, they will treat you like a complete idiot and shun you- they do not want to discuss their reasons for holding these beliefs and/or doctrines). I know someone who, for instance, conceals his concealed-carry license from his co-workers because they would develop a negative opinion of him if they found out that he got his concealed carry license. In front of him, they once threw out a job application from a man who taught a concealed carry class, saying that anyone who had done that was immediately out of the running no matter how else they were qualified. They had a hard time filling the position, but never went back to the man's application.

To me, that is snobbery. One thing that also annoys me is that due to the gentrification of the area, there is a bit of class separation as well. For instance, in three years I don't think I've ever seen more than just a couple Latinos shopping at Weaver Street Market in Carrboro, despite the fact that Latinos make up 12% of the population or so. They're all behind the counter in the kitchen. That bothers me since the market's high prices obviously keep lower-income segments of the population from shopping there, yet people in Carrboro treat Weaver Street Market as the epitome of Carrboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary