Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 PM

6 posts, read 6,271 times

Advertisements

hi everyone, was hoping to get some advice. I currently live on Long Island, NY and have been looking to move to Raleigh for some time with my Wife and two kids who are 1 and 2. I just got a job offer as a NC state employee. I've done research on this and it seems like an even trade with my current salary up here but i would be working just 40 hrs a week to my current 50-60 hours and I would have a much larger house/property down in Raleigh. Also my family is in Florida and Tennessee so I will be closure to them.
Does anybody have any pros and cons for working for the state? Also what do you think a family of 4 needs to live on in the areas of Raleigh such as Apex, Cary etc.. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 08:21 PM

120 posts, read 248,519 times
I can tell you the state benefits (healthcare particularly) aren't too impressive. Also the state government has recently decided to stop funding the university system at a sensible level.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:31 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Benefits aside (I don't know much about State benefits), the quality of life improvement you'll experience from Day 1 will be stunning to you and your wife. There are so many desirable areas to explore and consider you'll need to figure out the ones which will afford you the most sensible commute. Regarding what you'll need to earn, depending on whether you're buying or renting you could make it on anywhere from $50K per year on up. Big ticket items are cheaper here (auto insurance, gas, rent or property tax, utilities, etc.).

And be forewarned, many will try and dumb down the upside of living here and stress that this isn't nirvana, don't spend too much time focusing on that sort of rhetoric. We relocated here from Long Island in 2007 and the upside is HUGE and the downside manageable.

Good luck with your decision and move.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:08 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,613,840 times
me and my husband and son are moving to Raleigh Jan 31st. I cant wait. We came for a visit and loved it. We liked Cary, Apex and North Raleigh. We are just renting a house until we get settled. Everyone was so helpful and friendly while we were there.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone. One of my biggest questions with the State is regarding health care and pension. Im coming from a job without one and just a 401K so the pension benefits seem like a big plus. I will be making more than $50,000/year and my wife will be staying home with the kids until they start school in 4 years then she will go back to work as a teacher.
I'm also coming from a job commuting to the City everyday and its finally taking a toll on me now that I have kids. We went down last June and really liked the Cary/Apex area. If everything works out we will be putting our house up here on the market in January. My job will start in February, if we don't sell the house right away im going to have to rent a 1 bedroom while the family stays up in NY until the house sells. Then we plan on renting a house until we figure out the right location to buy.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:31 AM

Thanks Shanti, do you have the house set up already? If so, are you getting it through a property management company or private?

Old 12-07-2013, 08:37 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester5119 View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. One of my biggest questions with the State is regarding health care and pension. Im coming from a job without one and just a 401K so the pension benefits seem like a big plus. I will be making more than $50,000/year and my wife will be staying home with the kids until they start school in 4 years then she will go back to work as a teacher.
I'm also coming from a job commuting to the City everyday and its finally taking a toll on me now that I have kids. We went down last June and really liked the Cary/Apex area. If everything works out we will be putting our house up here on the market in January. My job will start in February, if we don't sell the house right away im going to have to rent a 1 bedroom while the family stays up in NY until the house sells. Then we plan on renting a house until we figure out the right location to buy.
As long as you factor in the lower salary your wife will make once she starts teaching here, you'll be fine. Sounds like you've got all your ducks in a row.

You will also want to factor in maintenance costs for a larger home/property, but since you plan to rent here first, you have time to do your due diligence there.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:13 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
from what I was told a week ago, just the "LI to the city" commute you'll be losing would be worth it.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:35 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
And be forewarned, many will try and dumb down the upside of living here and stress that this isn't nirvana, don't spend too much time focusing on that sort of rhetoric. We relocated here from Long Island in 2007 and the upside is HUGE and the downside manageable.

We moved here in 2010 also from Long Island and I think I love this quote. Perfectly stated.

Your state benefits won't compare to NY's (in all likelihood) - but it's probably not worth the struggle of day-to-day living just to reap the reward when you retire. At one time when the cost of living on LI was manageable, but not now. Get out while you can sell your house if own one before the monthly tax bill becomes bigger than your mortgage (which is where we'd be now if we'd stayed).

Old 12-07-2013, 10:42 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
I agree with all of the above. We moved here from LI 16 years ago with a young family and for the most part it has been wonderful. My kids had a very hard time adjusting, especially to the schools, but yours are so young it will not be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary