Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2023, 04:33 PM

209 posts, read 313,494 times

Advertisements

Hello, could someone get by in the Durham area if they were:

1. Attending Duke University

2. Needed to go downtown ocasionally

3. Living perhaps in the b=Beech Hill, Cameron woods area.

Could they get by with an e-bike, e-trike, or e-scooter?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 05:48 PM

1,063 posts, read 910,299 times
yes.

depends upon your definition of "get by".

my definition is: no night travel at all
or even twilight conditions. and....
it does rain here a lot.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:09 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,258,889 times
Downtown today, I think the wind could blow you over with the wind tunnel effect.

Old 02-03-2023, 07:21 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello, could someone get by in the Durham area if they were:

1. Attending Duke University

2. Needed to go downtown ocasionally

3. Living perhaps in the b=Beech Hill, Cameron woods area.

Could they get by with an e-bike, e-trike, or e-scooter?

Thanks
That is a little far south & west and puts you on the "wrong" side of 15-501 to have any relatively safe/feasible way to get to Duke on an e-bike. You are very close to shopping/amenities of Old South Square...but again on the opposite side of a VERY busy highway. I am not familiar with the bus-routes in Durham but those may provide you some options from Beech Hill.

Lakewood area would probably the the most practical (while still being relatively affordable) spot to not have a vehicle and still have decent access to Duke, downtown, and everyday amenities.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:07 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
That is a little far south & west and puts you on the "wrong" side of 15-501 to have any relatively safe/feasible way to get to Duke on an e-bike. You are very close to shopping/amenities of Old South Square...but again on the opposite side of a VERY busy highway. I am not familiar with the bus-routes in Durham but those may provide you some options from Beech Hill.

Lakewood area would probably the the most practical (while still being relatively affordable) spot to not have a vehicle and still have decent access to Duke, downtown, and everyday amenities.
I'll somewhat disagree with this, Cornwallis and Pickett roads are eminently bikeable into Duke. Where those locations are a little lacking will be in getting groceries...I don't think there are any bus lines on them, and really the only option will be to either cross business 15-501 at the light using Tower Blvd, or go all the way up to Academy.

So if you had a really great deal on a place in those locations, you can make a go of it, but you'd be much better off living in between Duke and Downtown if you can find an affordable place. That would let you walk or take a bus to either, and put you in walking distance of two grocery stores. Lakewood area is also a good recomendation.

Old 04-21-2023, 02:57 PM

14 posts, read 18,066 times
An e-scooter is your best bet. You can ride those on the bike lanes throughout campus, as long as you have a driver's license. They are incredibly convenient for getting around and going downtown. The nearby shopping centers have bike racks where e-scooters parked upright are allowed.

Old 04-21-2023, 03:10 PM

366 posts, read 227,004 times
Its possible to "get by" depending on the type of lifestyle you live. I know some folks in Carrboro and Chapel Hill who choose to walk/bike/bus from place to place, but I feel like they live a pretty insular life that would be difficult for me. They're always doing the same things in town because that's all they can do, and it gets boring quick. Most weekends during Spring/Summer/Fall there is something fun going on in the Triangle, but to really take advantage of it, you'd have to drive. There's very limited public transit available in the evenings/late night and on the weekends. It is possible in areas of Durham near Duke also, but unlike walkable big cities, you'll run out of retail options quickly.

I used to bike & ride the bus ~ 8 years ago. It wasn't fun. There's a chance of thunderstorms every day in the summertime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary