Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:08 AM

9 posts, read 36,316 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to the area from south Florida and we are looking at both Fuquay Varina and Clayton. I'm looking for thoughts and opinions about both towns, comparisons would be great. In addition, I'd love any feedback you have about the following new home developments:
Summerdale in FV
Sterling Ridge in FV (we really like the idea of basements and they have a few lots that are available to be built with full walk outs)
Summerlyn in Clayton

We've spent lots of time on the builder websites, looking at inventory homes on the web, etc. - I'm looking more for personal experiences. If it helps, we have a 4 year old and a 1 year old and we're looking for a family friendly place with lots of kids in the subdivision, with good schools (have also looked at the school reports online). If you have any suggestions for established neighborhoods, I'd love to hear those, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,965,880 times
Honestly, you cant go wrong with either one. I personally did some reasearch on both, and I preferred Clayton over FV because it was cheaper (taxes, housing, etc). If I'm not mistaken, there is really is only a few small ways out of FV. If you are working outside of FV, plan ahead for backed up traffic. FV used to be a major "redneck" town waaaayy back in the day. I love the way it is now, its very populated and lots of stores (I remember how everyone got excited when Walmart was opening! lol)

FV is considered Wake County while Clayton is Johnston County. Do your research on both & balance that out with what you are looking for.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:51 AM

37 posts, read 129,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
FV used to be a major "redneck" town waaaayy back in the day.
Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I remember visiting family in the area in the mid-seventies and traveling to the beach on highway 70. The KKK had a billboard stating "Welcome to Johnston County home of the Ku Klux Klan" or something of the sort. Times have changed since waaaayy back and I think you would be happy in either town.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:37 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,693,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineTK View Post
My husband and I are relocating to the area from south Florida and we are looking at both Fuquay Varina and Clayton. I'm looking for thoughts and opinions about both towns, comparisons would be great. In addition, I'd love any feedback you have about the following new home developments:
Summerdale in FV
Sterling Ridge in FV (we really like the idea of basements and they have a few lots that are available to be built with full walk outs)
Summerlyn in Clayton

We've spent lots of time on the builder websites, looking at inventory homes on the web, etc. - I'm looking more for personal experiences. If it helps, we have a 4 year old and a 1 year old and we're looking for a family friendly place with lots of kids in the subdivision, with good schools (have also looked at the school reports online). If you have any suggestions for established neighborhoods, I'd love to hear those, too!
I live in FV and it isn't too bad. There are several roads out of FV, but most people work outside of FV so the travel can be a little "tedious".

Summerdale appears to be nice - I can't comment on the house, but it's on the outskirts of the downtown area, so close to a lot of things including Rte 55. I was impressed with Holly Grove Elementary School when I went for Kindergarden orientation.

Sterling Ridge appears to be directly across from FV Elementary - which is good for walking - but bear in mind the additional traffic when school starts and ends the day - and a bunch of kids will be walking (I remember in my youth - parents complaining of kids walking through their yards while walking home from school). It is also located near 401, which is beneficial for commuting to Raleigh, but it is the biggest route as well in and out of FV, so traffic is heavy most all the times.

I hope I have helped some.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:56 PM

449 posts, read 1,343,777 times
I live in Fuquay and really like it. We didn't look too closely at Clayton, but I think it's nice as well. I really think they're equally "far out." My husband works near the airport, and we live in the northwest part of Fuquay, and I'm pretty sure his commute is shorter than it would have been from Clayton (30 minutes when he's able to travel off-peak hours; 45 during rush hour). From Summerdale, it would be longer.

I (and most of the people I've met in real life as opposed to on the internet) am very happy with Wake County Schools. Just got back from kindergarten orientation at Ballentine Elementary and LOVED it. Some established neighborhoods in similar price ranges to what you're looking at include Meadowview at Crooked Creek; Ballentine; and maybe Lakestone Village and South Lakes (those are a bit pricier and include new homes). I know Meadowview and Ballentine are full of children your kids' ages.

The main negative about Fuquay for me is the lack of a Target, Sam's or Costco, and a Panera Bread. . . but I'm saving myself lots of money by living in a town without those. And, really, all 3 and more are only 20 min. away from me - in 3 directions - I'm equi-distant to the Targets in Apex, Cary, and the older one in Garner.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:22 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,965,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymrenee View Post
The main negative about Fuquay for me is the lack of a Target, Sam's or Costco, and a Panera Bread. . . but I'm saving myself lots of money by living in a town without those. And, really, all 3 and more are only 20 min. away from me - in 3 directions - I'm equi-distant to the Targets in Apex, Cary, and the older one in Garner.
ha ha ha! Yep! I feel the same way! We have to travel to Garner for Target, which really is not that far. There's a Costco in Raleigh..but I strongly agree, it would be nice if they put a Panera bread somewhere out here!!! Maybe we should start a petition or something.

There's no "bookstore" either. Is there one near FV? I'm having major B&N withdrawels!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:36 PM

I think the new Kohl's shopping center would be a perfect place for a Panera - and I even went to Panera's website and suggested it to them - in their "contact us" there's a topic choice for "real estate and location suggestions" or something like that. . . maybe if enough of us suggest it. . . I've done the same with Target. . .

And I second you on the bookstore!

To keep this on topic . . . I don't think Clayton has much up on Fuquay in terms of retail convenience - I guess depending on where you are in Clayton, the White Oak shopping center in Garner is relatively close, but other than that I think Clayton and Fuquay are pretty equal in terms of shops/restaurants.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,011,170 times
Driving "only 20 minutes" to all these places isn't as cheap as it used to be. With fuel costs showing no sign of slowing for the long haul, living further and cheaper is not as clear cut anymore.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:17 PM

That's very true. . .and there are definitely days that I wish the offer we made on a house in Apex had been accepted; or that we had chosen a smaller house in Cary. But, ultimately, I love my house, my neighborhood, my child's school, etc., and I can get everything I NEED in Fuquay. I really only go to Target at most once a month now, and my hubby stops at Trader Joe's on the way home from work when needed.

I also don't think Clayton is any more convenient than Fuquay. . . the challenges in the two places would be similar.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:22 PM

420 posts, read 1,393,006 times
Agree here too! I would *love for them to put in a Panera, Starbucks and a bookstore in White Oaks. <Clayton here...but we shop at White Oaks often>. We've even emailed Barnes and Noble to suggest it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary