Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 08:35 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,296,778 times

Advertisements

Up to 21 buses now, from 17 when I started the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 09:12 PM

567 posts, read 959,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Why do I need to know if I have Covid versus any other virus?
For COVID-19, it would be a good idea to take Paxlovid if someone is a candidate.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
For COVID-19, it would be a good idea to take Paxlovid if someone is a candidate.
I assume you mean high risk people?

Old 02-20-2023, 06:02 AM

4,275 posts, read 4,731,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Paxlovid does not prevent infection or contagion. It merely mitigates an infection after the virus has set up shop, if the medication is taken quickly enough. Paxlovid has side effects in some people and also is conflicted by some other medications. It is not authorized for prophylaxis.

Evusheld, based on monoclonal antibodies, had been used for prophylaxis in immuno-deficient people until Omicron evaded it.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:32 AM

6,658 posts, read 5,608,497 times
Testing for me is pretty much to know how long to stay home. I had COVID over the holidays, was feeling pretty good after 3 days but continued to stay away from people for another 2 days just to make sure I wasn’t out and about while still contagious. I probably would have returned to work if it was just a cold or other mild illness. The government sent out tons of test kits this past year so no excuse not to use them.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:36 AM

22,695 posts, read 36,880,576 times
Quote:
I guess I didn’t know people were still testing for Covid at home. What’s the point?
That's an easy question to ask if you never have exposure to at risk people.

If your father is 90, a cancer and heart attack survivor, and your mom is 89 and has rheumatoid arthritis, you test if you have symptoms. I can see my parents with minor cold symptoms. If I have Covid I'm not seeing them. I had it last year, and even though I had practically no sx, I tested because my kids had it.

If you drive a bus, you test, so you don't spread it to a bunch of schools.

If I didn't go out every time I have covid sx I'd be in the house about 300 days a year with my allergies (which is exactly what Covid felt like for me).

Old 02-20-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That's an easy question to ask if you never have exposure to at risk people.

If your father is 90, a cancer and heart attack survivor, and your mom is 89 and has rheumatoid arthritis, you test if you have symptoms. I can see my parents with minor cold symptoms. If I have Covid I'm not seeing them. I had it last year, and even though I had practically no sx, I tested because my kids had it.

If you drive a bus, you test, so you don't spread it to a bunch of schools.

If I didn't go out every time I have covid sx I'd be in the house about 300 days a year with my allergies (which is exactly what Covid felt like for me).
Makes sense, but do you test for flu, strep, etc, as well? It was never common to test for flu, strep, etc unless you went to the doctor, and still isn't. Flu and I assume strep is equally risky to those that are at-risk, if not more now that covid has taken its course.

I just don't understand why Covid is treated differently than other viruses now that it's very low-risk to most people.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:19 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,739,464 times
Quote:
I just don't understand why Covid is treated differently than other viruses now that it's very low-risk to most people.
I don't even know where to begin with this after 3+ years.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:58 AM

22,695 posts, read 36,880,576 times
Quote:
Makes sense, but do you test for flu, strep, etc, as well? It was never common to test for flu, strep, etc unless you went to the doctor, and still isn't. Flu and I assume strep is equally risky to those that are at-risk, if not more now that covid has taken its course.

I do actually.

I had the flu three years ago (JUST before Covid). I had the flu about 20 years ago and it damn near killed me so as soon as I started running a fever with a cough, I went for a flu test. And got TamiFlu because 20 years later with asthma and generally crap lungs, I do not have time to be laid up for a week nor do I want to deal with a cough for 3 months like I did last time.

And if I have a sore throat and feel like crap, I go for a strep test. Strep can and has been fatal - it is not something to fool around with. My son had a strep infection on his hands once. I can tell the difference between a strep sore throat and a regular one.

I'm not really sure why you think people don't test for these things, which can and do kill people in the wrong state of health. I don't get where you think it was never common to test for these things. That's really outlandish and actually laughable. When we lived in NY the schools would actually send home a notice if someone was out with strep, so people could be be on the lookout for symptoms.

As for why people are testing for Covid, I explained it as best I could. I can't think how to make it any clearer.

Last edited by twingles; 02-20-2023 at 10:18 AM..

Old 02-20-2023, 09:59 AM

6,395 posts, read 5,521,643 times
For a point of clarification..

CHT does not run the CHCCS bus routes. Those are two separate entities.

It is the school bus drivers who are out sick; not CHT drivers.

Everyone I know with kids has basically had a sick person in their household for the better part of the past 3 months. I don't think it's too far fetched to believe that quite a few school bus drivers; who unlike other school faculty/staff...do have literally every single child who rides their bus walk within 1 foot of them while boarding and deboarding the bus....would be more prone to get sick from said exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary