Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 07:50 AM

341 posts, read 296,541 times

Advertisements

8000 houses? so figure about 20k more people/cars. Traffic on 55 is already backed up as it is. This is getting stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 08:42 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Does Holly Springs have anything in the pipeline in order to relieve that whole "one way in/one way out" 55 bypass deal? It's horrible...

Old 03-06-2023, 09:04 AM

180 posts, read 96,574 times
540 and Veridia Pkwy/Old Holly Springs road. 540 (future) and Holly Springs road.

Carolina Springs next to 12 Oaks north just outside of 540 and south of 1 is well under way and will add a significant number of homes.

No doubt the area is going to see HUGE increases in traffic.

Old 03-06-2023, 01:43 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Does Holly Springs have anything in the pipeline in order to relieve that whole "one way in/one way out" 55 bypass deal? It's horrible...
Doubtful, since Holly Springs has literally nothing to do with that road, and the entity that does, NCDOT is looking to use that model in other places such as Chapel Hill Rd/NC54 through Morrisville and Cary.

Old 03-06-2023, 01:56 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Doubtful, since Holly Springs has literally nothing to do with that road, and the entity that does, NCDOT is looking to use that model in other places such as Chapel Hill Rd/NC54 through Morrisville and Cary.
I'm not talking about the superstreet, I'm talking about the fact that 55 and 55 bypass are really the only ways north/south (and to 540) from anywhere on the western side of Holly Springs. I assume this is why both are always such a mess.

For example in Cary if you're heading to RTP, you have Green Level Church, 540, 55, and Davis Drive which all will get you there, and they're all pretty reasonable from a traffic standpoint.

Old 03-06-2023, 04:14 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Route 1 is already at max capacity and a dangerous highway now. People going 80 and slow moving lanes coming in sharply, close encounters and exits all over the place. What are we going to do about that road?

Old 03-06-2023, 09:44 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
NCDOT is spending big bucks to rebuild the southeastern part of 440. Next they will rebuild the 40/440/1 interchange, which is a mess. There is a plan to add lanes to 1 between 64 and 55 and a plan to widen Ten-Ten on either side of 1, but those improvements are a ways off. All you'll see in the short run is on-ramp metering.

Old 03-07-2023, 05:30 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
I wonder how many of the people who posted complaints about how bad the growth here is are actually Wake County Natives? I think that if you moved here (as I did), that you are part of the same problem you are complaining about.

Growth has benefits, Growth has downside. Always has, always will. Might as well embrace both of them, because the Triangle is one of the fastest growing areas in the country, and that does not look to change.

Put me in the camp of "I like it" also. It's certainly not without downsides, and lots of them. But net-net, I think our area is becoming a better place to live.

Old 03-07-2023, 05:38 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I wonder how many of the people who posted complaints about how bad the growth here is are actually Wake County Natives? I think that if you moved here (as I did), that you are part of the same problem you are complaining about.

Growth has benefits, Growth has downside. Always has, always will. Might as well embrace both of them, because the Triangle is one of the fastest growing areas in the country, and that does not look to change.

Put me in the camp of "I like it" also. It's certainly not without downsides, and lots of them. But net-net, I think our area is becoming a better place to live.

If one has ever lived for an extended period of time in dying small towns, with decreasing population, limited services and daily shopping choices, where the younger generations move away for opportunity, one might prefer the issues caused by growth.

OTOH, we are in our 26th year in Cary, and the difference in the Triangle since 1997 is breathtaking.
Folks who have deep roots here and struggle with rampant growth have my empathy.

Old 03-07-2023, 05:40 AM

812 posts, read 832,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I'm not talking about the superstreet, I'm talking about the fact that 55 and 55 bypass are really the only ways north/south (and to 540) from anywhere on the western side of Holly Springs. I assume this is why both are always such a mess.

For example in Cary if you're heading to RTP, you have Green Level Church, 540, 55, and Davis Drive which all will get you there, and they're all pretty reasonable from a traffic standpoint.
And if you are in certain parts of East/"old" Cary you now have 55 and Davis even more available with the Evans Road Extension. Further, the Evans Road extension, along with the Airport Blvd and Aviation Pkwy I40 interchange improvements, now work better with I40 so you can get on/off at those exits and not all have to pass through those clusters on I40 and suffer through the "Harrison Hill" ....to get to Harrison (or come from it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary