Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,486 times

Advertisements

Checking out some new construction in southern Cary, specifically MI homes, stone gate community.

Worry is, will values drop in the 5 to 10% range over the next year....

They are only about 40% sold, no real reason to rush...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 05:33 AM

513 posts, read 1,605,716 times
you have to buy houses as a place to live and a long term investment....selling after 2 years is gone

Old 06-10-2009, 05:40 AM

502 posts, read 1,393,047 times
IMHO "The right time to buy" is relative. It's a great time to buy if you were needing a house anyway... but it is not the right time to buy for me personally. I am a renter for the time being, having sold my house in fall of '07. I get told all the time by people who know I'm renting, "but now is the time to buy!". I liken that to buying something just because it's on sale and you don't really need it, or just because you have a coupon for it. Don't feel pressured just because everyone else is doing it. Take a good look at your personal situation, do research, weigh everything. Ask people you trust, and best of all, trust your intuition.

We have a situation where we need something very custom for two home offices. We want to build. But first we need to save a bit more. Our mortgage guy who we've used for three homes and we trust highly, says that great deals will still be found a year from now.

If you own a home now, you could always wait until values are up and you will get a better price for your home. If not, having your money in an interest bearing account could be smarter than putting it into a house that could go down in value.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:53 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,976,623 times
Much, MUCH better deals coming next year after the 8,000 tax credit expires.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:01 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Is stone gate popluar with first time buyers? I would think the price point makes the credit a bit of a non-issue.

FWIW, I think it comes down to your personal situation. However I would have reservations about buying into a community only half built out. Are the ammenities like the pool ect already there?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:04 AM

43,316 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
You may be right, but I'm thinking they will renew the credit in line with the other mega-inflationary policies.
Maybe even expand it in size or scope.
Of course NAHB and NAR are pushing for a higher amount, and for all consumers.

Letting it lapse will be too abrupt, much like slamming a door or running into a wall.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:54 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,086,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Is stone gate popluar with first time buyers? I would think the price point makes the credit a bit of a non-issue.

FWIW, I think it comes down to your personal situation. However I would have reservations about buying into a community only half built out. Are the ammenities like the pool ect already there?
I believe the pool and a playground are already built, but I could be wrong. I drive by that neighborhood a lot and I thought I saw those things. It's a very well taken care of neighborhood, imo. It doesn't look like an eyesore that some neighborhoods look like during construction.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:08 AM

154 posts, read 389,628 times
Do you mean stonebridge? (corner of 1010 and KF?)

I live about a mile from there. There is a playground but no pool that I'm aware of. Who knows if the values will hold up. Given that neighborhood is still building & selling homes, you would think it will be ok.

If you are planning to stay for 3-5 years you'll probably be OK. In 10 years I would expect to see more neighborhoods in that area. Still lots of open land along Arthur Pierce Rd. which will become too tempting for developers.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,486 times
Yes stonebridge. Thats the place. No pool btw.

Im not a first time buyer and I'm within the 2/3 year period of owning a home, so I don't qualify for the 8k.

Thats another reason I hesitate, I'm thinking the .gov will enhance that benefit to include someone like me.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn2k2 View Post
Checking out some new construction in southern Cary, specifically MI homes, stone gate community.

Worry is, will values drop in the 5 to 10% range over the next year....

They are only about 40% sold, no real reason to rush...
Hey look! I found the original post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary