Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:59 AM

836 posts, read 3,462,578 times

Advertisements

We have been going to Wrightsville for years and dogs have long been forbidden on the beach during the summer season. Dogs are allowed, on leash, off season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 10:30 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,963,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
Where do you get an electronic fence? Can someone recommend an installer? I'm in SW Durham.

We have really been pleased with Invisible Fence of Raleigh.
They will sell and let you install and still help you problem solve.
They will also do a complete installation.

I have heard some of the cheaper brands are less reliable.
Like alot of things it may be that you get what you pay for.

Are links to business allowed??

Old 05-30-2008, 11:52 AM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,331,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Our neighbor is training her newer little member of the family, a pug, with the invisible fence around her yard. Poor little guy has been zapped a few times, but the thing that surprises me most is that she says since he has been zapped a time or two, he won't even go out in the yard, and the whole scenario has set back house-training back to almost Step One. Is that common?
Is the pug a little puppy? Or a rescue? You shouldn't be training a dog on an invisible fence until they are 6 months old - or so I've been told.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:57 AM
rfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace22 View Post
When walking my dog past invisible fences I've noticed that most of the dogs come charging to the edge of the yard, barking really viciously. A lot of them are normally pretty laid-back breeds -- labs, mostly. I'm starting to wonder if being in the invisible fenced-in yard makes them more territorial? A few have charged through the fence and my puppy and I run for our lives!
Most dogs get more territorial when they have a fenced yard - invisible fence or traditional fence. Having an invisible fence seems to make it worse because a) the dog can more easily see you (no fence to block the view), and b) some people run the invisible fence *really* close to the street.

With my dog, we chose to keep the fence back a good 30 feet from the street. She will go outside to the front yard and bark sometimes (which we don't let her do if we are nearby and discourage whenever possible), but at least she isn't running right at someone to within a few feet of the street and scaring the dickens out of them.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:01 PM
rfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
ADVentive...why not hounds...i have two bassets
Invisible fences don't work (as) well for scent hounds. The dogs put their noses to the ground and don't notice the yard boundary until they are at or in the "zap" zone. As a result, they are more likely to get out of a yard with an invisible fence.

When I was looking for a rescue dog, we spoke with the local beagle rescue. Because of the relative ineffectiveness of invisible fences for scent hounds, they won't let someone adopt a beagle if they plan to use an invisible fence.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:14 PM

673 posts, read 2,262,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Most dogs get more territorial when they have a fenced yard - invisible fence or traditional fence. Having an invisible fence seems to make it worse because a) the dog can more easily see you (no fence to block the view), and b) some people run the invisible fence *really* close to the street.
Actually, I believe dogs are territorial by nature, not just when they are fenced, and regardless of breed. We have a golden retriever who barks anytime there's a knock on the door. He also barks at neighbors when they walk down the street in front of our house -- primarily because he wants them to stop and pet him or play with him!

We have a border collie mix -- note, high energy dog here! -- who barks at sounds and almost anything that moves, whether it is in our yard or not (it is the working dog or herder in him!). Sometimes he will bark, and we joke that someone must have turned in to the neighborhood (a good 1/2 mile away).

In any event, I believe that whether or not dogs are fenced, they will bark -- if for no other reason than to say Hi!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:08 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,733,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
My Border Collies likes chase, and usually catch stray cats. After getting the Electric fence a neighbors cat that my dog had caught in the past, learned the boundary. I have a video of the cat laying down on the property line with one of my dogs drooling 6 feet away.
That is hilarious!!! Send it to one of the video shows!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:19 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,908,957 times
Quote:
Invisible fences don't work (as) well for scent hounds. The dogs put their noses to the ground and don't notice the yard boundary until they are at or in the "zap" zone. As a result, they are more likely to get out of a yard with an invisible fence.

When I was looking for a rescue dog, we spoke with the local beagle rescue. Because of the relative ineffectiveness of invisible fences for scent hounds, they won't let someone adopt a beagle if they plan to use an invisible fence.
Yah that. My affiliation with the beagle rescue probably taught me this.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:19 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,422,556 times
Quote:
Is the pug a little puppy? Or a rescue? You shouldn't be training a dog on an invisible fence until they are 6 months old - or so I've been told.

Oh no. The pug is close to two, I think. The other dog knows the boundaries and has no problem, but the pug, while learning the boundaries has just since gotten 'afraid' of the yard.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:46 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,963,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Our neighbor is training her newer little member of the family, a pug, with the invisible fence around her yard. Poor little guy has been zapped a few times, but the thing that surprises me most is that she says since he has been zapped a time or two, he won't even go out in the yard, and the whole scenario has set back house-training back to almost Step One. Is that common?.

I had a sweet golden that got spooked by the fence like the pug .... he wanted to hide out on the porch .
I think the pug just hasn't figured out the safe zones yet.
We took our Golden on a lead and played with him in all the safe zones
and spent more time with him on a lead letting him enter the beep zone and teaching him to move out of it . In a few weeks he had it all figured out and would chase a frisbee at full speed and stop on a dime on the boundary line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary