Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 PM

241 posts, read 934,996 times

Advertisements

I understand the no fences thing... it's like you have a park for a yard! But today... while walking our golden, a boxer came charging at us...There was adrenaline, yelling, barking... but then the dog stopped short of us by about a few feet.

The owner looked at us bewildered as he unloaded his car... "it's an underground fence!"

Duh. Something to get used to. I'm still in awe that it trains the dog to not cross that line. It's pretty amazing.

Also...

After searching for a dog beach in Wilmington, we headed out to Wrightsville Beach. I got some info online (can't remember where now... but I checked city-data, Wilminton's website & a dog friendly site) that if we headed to the northern side of the beach, past the Hilton, we could have our dog on the beach. No dice. Lifeguard blew his whistle at us and reluctantly told us to go to Carolina Beach. As we left, some other beach goers said that the no dog policy was new and it was all over the news last weekend.

Got to the Carolina State Beach and there was an area that you could have dogs, but it wasn't right on the beach, it was more in the channel or river. It was sort of a hike (the sign said 1 mile), and I wasn't in the mood for hiking.

So, we went to Freeman Park and they do allow dogs, but you have to park and walk or acquire a 4WD to get onto the beach, which looks like it would be SO awesome. (I don't care about gas prices, I'm getting a jeep just for this beach! hehe)

So... Anyone know of sandy beaches, not a huge hike... allows dogs off leash? Oak Island perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
You are lucky the dog stopped. My dog got attacked by one that ran right through his.

We also got screwed by the Wrightsville dog-on-beach change a few weeks back. We headed to Ft. Fisher and the dog enjoyed it. Don't know that you can legally have the dog off leash though.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:34 PM

I will find these dog beaches and report back I've made it my mission (And dogs everywhere rejoice)

Old 05-29-2008, 10:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Those fences work but in situations like you was in sometimes the dog adrenaline will overplay the zapping feeling he gets.
Depending on the perimeter the owneer set up the fence and talking to this neighbor you dont know if the dog just cross into the "beeping" zone or the "zapping" zone. Once a dog crosses the zapping zone it doesnt zap after he gets a certain distance on the other side.

Boxers have short hair which is a good thing for securing the zapper on its neck but like my sheltie I have to trim down bottom of her neck so it touches her skin.
She will not even go into the beep zone but when she wants to have a date with a squirrel or deer she will cross the perimeter.

I love how I can leave and she can enter and exit the house through the doggy door and not worry about letting her out but dogs like you mention should have a sign letting passerbys know there is an invisible fence so you will not be so alarmed.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:58 PM

Default A sign would be awesome...

"Don't be alarmed, I won't bite you because of the zappy invisible fence! But if I'm past this sign... RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!"

I'll paint a few and sell them to local pet stores... with flowers, rainbows and paws all over.

SunnyKayak, I love how the squirrel warrants a zap for your dog. My dog... would take many a zap for a bunny. You can't even say "bunny" without her going nuts. I don't know where she picked it up, she's only seen a bunny once. That darn instinct.

I like my fence. Especially since there have been BEAR sightings. Things stay in and out* with a fence!

*In theory

Old 05-30-2008, 04:22 AM

770 posts, read 2,754,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia16 View Post
I understand the no fences thing... it's like you have a park for a yard! But today... while walking our golden, a boxer came charging at us...There was adrenaline, yelling, barking... but then the dog stopped short of us by about a few feet.

The owner looked at us bewildered as he unloaded his car... "it's an underground fence!"

Duh. Something to get used to. I'm still in awe that it trains the dog to not cross that line. It's pretty amazing.

Also...

After searching for a dog beach in Wilmington, we headed out to Wrightsville Beach. I got some info online (can't remember where now... but I checked city-data, Wilminton's website & a dog friendly site) that if we headed to the northern side of the beach, past the Hilton, we could have our dog on the beach. No dice. Lifeguard blew his whistle at us and reluctantly told us to go to Carolina Beach. As we left, some other beach goers said that the no dog policy was new and it was all over the news last weekend.

Got to the Carolina State Beach and there was an area that you could have dogs, but it wasn't right on the beach, it was more in the channel or river. It was sort of a hike (the sign said 1 mile), and I wasn't in the mood for hiking.

So, we went to Freeman Park and they do allow dogs, but you have to park and walk or acquire a 4WD to get onto the beach, which looks like it would be SO awesome. (I don't care about gas prices, I'm getting a jeep just for this beach! hehe)

So... Anyone know of sandy beaches, not a huge hike... allows dogs off leash? Oak Island perhaps?
Dogs who go through their fences usually have not been trained to abide by them. The training consists not only of showing them their boundaries but also training them to resist any temptations that may be on the other side of the fence.
I have a boxer/pointer/dane mix that has been tempted many times by squirrels cats and rabbits but he will not go through due to training

Old 05-30-2008, 04:54 AM

836 posts, read 3,382,694 times
Petunia16- the only thing you need to be careful with on the invisible fencing is if that dogs battery as low he would have ran right through that fence and attacked you or your dog specially being so aggressive or he would have just ran through yapped a lil and started playing.. I would try and get to know the neighboring dogs this may help when walking by and the dog may not at so aggressive.(unless it is just naturally aggressive, then I would walk on the other side of the road)
NC and SC beaches have a No Dog Policy on the beaches between Memorial and Labor Day..after that you can bring your dogs on the beach.

We have used the invisible fence for the past 7 years on our dogs..(we have two Great Danes and a Plott Hound)..they know where their boundary line is, the only time they have ever ran through the fence is when the battery is low..and they ran straight to the front porch they are big chickens, but they usually don't run through they are pretty good about staying in the back yard.. (they are ONLY outside during the day..they mostly stay inside) Most dogs behind an invisible fence are aggressive when you or your dog steps into their boundary which is only natural for the to come up the fence and bark.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:13 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
Our neighbors dog became immune to the shock of their underground fence and kept wandering. We contemplated it for a brief time but decided we are going with a fence instead. We have a walking path behind our home and even if the electric fence worked at keeping our dog in it would not keep people out. A lot of kids ride and play on the trail and the last thing I want to do is get sued because someone came on our property and our dog do something. Even though I know people have the underground fence my heart still races when i am out walking and dog is charging his property line.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:27 AM

260 posts, read 1,191,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia16 View Post

Also...

I have to say... I don't get the "bring the dog to the beach"??

Maybe it's me,, I have a dog and the LAST place I would want to bring him
to is the beach, especially during the day. I could see maybe at night when
it's cooler and take him for a walk. But not during the day when it's SOO hot and have him sit on the beach and bake.

I live in Va Bch and they also have a no dog rule during the season and I have to say I'm glad. Alot of people don't pick up after them and have been
to a beach were dogs were allowed and they'd bark, snarl at each other which didn't make it to much fun for the beach goers. Especially with the small kiddies.

I love my pup but would rather keep him home were his more comfortable.

Good luck on your quest for a dog friendly beach!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:07 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
I know what the OP means about having a huge dog only a few feet away from you separated by something invisable.

We love our invisable fence but if my dog were scaring people walking down the street like that, I would back up the fence perimeters
so it wouldn't be able to get so near the street( especially for a large dog.)
You can adjust the signal field from the fence quite a bit so there is
a greater zone they cannot pass .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary