Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:04 PM

15 posts, read 40,203 times

Advertisements

I live in Virginia, and plannng to relo to Raleigh area.

Me and my wife will be visiting the Raleigh Area this weekend or next, for the very first time.

I am in the process figuring out list of places to visit, to get the feel of each particular neighborhood/suburb.
After reading the messages in this Forum, i have some idea, but not totally clear.

If you can spend 5mins of your time, and let me know the following, it would really help me out:

1. Neighborhood/Suburb(s) that you like
2. Must see in that area
3. Neighborhood/Suburb(s) that you dislike and reason (if any)

(Basically we are looking to visit places that gives us a general idea how the overall suburb/neighborhood is. I haven't figured out which part of Greater Raleigh I want to live. So any location ranging from Wake Forrest, Clayton, Cary, Durham, Knightdale etc are welcome)

Greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by LostInRaleigh; 05-29-2008 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: (to edit the subject line)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 06:53 AM

119 posts, read 368,107 times
Cary: The Park at West Lake, Lochmere.

Wake Forest: Bishop's Grant

Raleigh: Bedford at Fall's River

Old 05-30-2008, 06:56 AM

718 posts, read 2,973,436 times
I would need more info. Price range, work location, kids or no kids.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:06 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
It will be easier for us to help guide you if you can give us a little more to go on.

The towns you mention are located some distance from one another. Durham is a CITY with its own residential suburbs. Cary is a large sprawling suburban town with many different types of residential areas and a wide range of pricing. Knightdale could be considered more of an entry-level or first time homebuyer area based on real estate values. Wake Forest is a fast growing bedroom community that is located north of Raleigh. Clayton is in neighboring Johnston County, and is a good option based on home prices. Clayton is also far removed from some of the major employment centers in our area, meaning a longer commute for many.

The odds are that if one of the towns you mention is a great fit for you, then none of the others would be nearly as appealing to you.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:53 AM

153 posts, read 460,087 times
I would highly recommend Sunset Ridge in Holly Springs. I have never had a visitor not be impressed with the area...its a beautiful subdivision.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:25 AM

Hi All,
I haven't decided where I want to live and not sure of what i want. That's why I want to visit all the best places in each of these area (since each area has its uniqueness) and see if I like any of them. And take it from there.

As far as my work location is concerned, my employer (its a multi national with an office in VA) is very flexible, and will allow me to work remotely. So I don't have to be close to RTP. At the same time I want to keep my options "open", so I want to check out all the places including ones nearer to RTP. My wife prefers us to stay closer to RTP so that if I were to change jobs, i would be closer to work.

Without going to specifics of my housing needs (I don't want to digress in this thread, but I will be looking for a single family house, in family/kid friendly neighborhood, with walking trails/green space, at the same time easy access to RTP and shopping places), I am basically looking for places that i could visit in these neighborhood/areas, so that I can feel the vibe.

Once I narrow down to the list of specific areas, then I will start my hunt for homes!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:47 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
OK-much easier now.

I'd drive thru West Cary, west of NC55, and look at Cary Park, Amberly, Cameron Pond, Weldon Ridge, and Copperleaf. Also Highcroft and Highcroft Village. You could cover all of those neighborhoods in less than an hour for a quick impression.

Next I'd go to the Preston area of Cary, and then on to Southeast Cary-Macgregor Downs, Lochmere, and on to The Cary/Holly Springs border-Jamison Park, The Park at West Lake, Sunset Oaks, Sunset Ridge.

You could conceivably drove thru all of those areas in one morning or afternoon.

I would reserve North Raleigh and Wake Forest for the other half of the day.

Clayton and Knightdale are close enough to one another to be considered a single outing. I know nothing about where to suggest on that side of town.

If you consider Durham, I would guide you to the Southeastern area (around the Southpoint Mall)-Chancellor's Ridge and Woodcroft are two recommended neighborhoods.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:55 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInRaleigh View Post
Without going to specifics of my housing needs (I don't want to digress in this thread, but I will be looking for a single family house, in family/kid friendly neighborhood, with walking trails/green space, at the same time easy access to RTP and shopping places), I am basically looking for places that i could visit in these neighborhood/areas, so that I can feel the vibe.
There are a number of neighborhoods that match that description. If you could give us a price point, we could give you even more specific suggestions. If not, just be prepared to burn up a LOT of gasoline during your two day visit!

My neighborhood in southern Durham matches your description to a T. It's called Woodcroft. SFHs here generally go for something between 200-350K. Here's a link to an old thread with more info.
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ft-durham.html
There are a few other neighborhoods near there that you also might like (Woodlake, Fairfield, Chancellor's Ridge, etc.)

There are also some new neighborhoods in Durham that match your description that are in a higher price range than Woodcroft. A few that spring to mind are Brightleaf, Grandale, Rivers Edge and Treyburn.
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ty-durham.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-grandale.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...er-s-edge.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-treyburn.html

And that's just the beginning! I'm sure others will have many more neighborhoods to suggest. Good luck seeing them all!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:56 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,720 times
don't forget Grandale in Durham...not Grandale Place

Old 05-30-2008, 09:07 AM

Hi FC,
Wow, your pointers will greatly help me plan my trip. Thanks a lot.

Is there anything that you would recommend checking in Raleigh? Also any recommendation for North Ralieigh?

Thanks all for taking your time in responding to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
OK-much easier now.

I'd drive thru West Cary, west of NC55, and look at Cary Park, Amberly, Cameron Pond, Weldon Ridge, and Copperleaf. Also Highcroft and Highcroft Village. You could cover all of those neighborhoods in less than an hour for a quick impression.

Next I'd go to the Preston area of Cary, and then on to Southeast Cary-Macgregor Downs, Lochmere, and on to The Cary/Holly Springs border-Jamison Park, The Park at West Lake, Sunset Oaks, Sunset Ridge.

You could conceivably drove thru all of those areas in one morning or afternoon.

I would reserve North Raleigh and Wake Forest for the other half of the day.

Clayton and Knightdale are close enough to one another to be considered a single outing. I know nothing about where to suggest on that side of town.

If you consider Durham, I would guide you to the Southeastern area (around the Southpoint Mall)-Chancellor's Ridge and Woodcroft are two recommended neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary