Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2023, 07:58 PM

851 posts, read 419,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge View Post
An aggressive driver in an oversized truck broke numerous traffic laws, including attempting to run you personally off the road, yet the bicycles are somehow to blame?

I give up.
Maybe the question is whether we as cyclists, obeying the law, want to be on these types of roads with dangerously crazy motorists. I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 08:44 PM

374 posts, read 259,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Maybe the question is whether we as cyclists, obeying the law, want to be on these types of roads with dangerously crazy motorists. I don't.

Yes, I don't care if it's a road bike or other bike, you don't want to be on the road with these drivers. And, in my opinion, it tends to be the road bikers who are underestimating the amount of these said drivers. There have been deaths and people charged with hate crimes. Anyway, just some perspective.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:39 AM

218 posts, read 309,064 times
I promise you, in the absence of cyclists these knuckle-draggers will find someone else to bully in their oversized compensation machines.

They can and do kill motorists just as easily as they do cyclists.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:36 AM

309 posts, read 298,523 times
I dunno. The hillbillionaires in their $100k trucks you expect to roll coal as they pass you typically dont bother me. Its the mercedes, prius, tesla and minivans that I find to be the top offenders especially if they're young drivers. It could be that there are just a lot of them here. New cars are also like cocoons. I think that most people dont know how to ride around a cyclist and overdo it by flying around in the opposing lane. They get nervous too.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:42 AM

66 posts, read 49,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanFischlerHockE View Post
On top of what OP posted...I don't like bicycles on the road because they don't pay anything. Meaning they don't pay registration or taxes to pay to use them, repairs, or bike lanes. We pay tolls for some highways, vehicle registrations, gas tax, all that pay for road maintenance on some way.
While a portion of the funds that pay for roads come from roads are paid by licenses, registration and gas taxes in NC, a significant amount of funding also comes from the general fund, and for town roads, those come from property and sales taxes. So based on your argument, those paying income taxes, property taxes or sales tax also pay for those roads and therefore should have access to riding their bikes on those roads.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post
I dunno. The hillbillionaires in their $100k trucks you expect to roll coal as they pass you typically dont bother me. Its the mercedes, prius, tesla and minivans that I find to be the top offenders especially if they're young drivers. It could be that there are just a lot of them here. New cars are also like cocoons. I think that most people dont know how to ride around a cyclist and overdo it by flying around in the opposing lane. They get nervous too.
The phrase “oversized compensation machine” is not applied exclusively to modern full-size pickups, nor is it strictly a function of size class. Oversized can also refer to engine size.

Some of the individuals I know compensating the hardest drive oversized luxury sedans and SUVs. The worst offenders drive Chargers/Challengers.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashonly View Post
While a portion of the funds that pay for roads come from roads are paid by licenses, registration and gas taxes in NC, a significant amount of funding also comes from the general fund, and for town roads, those come from property and sales taxes. So based on your argument, those paying income taxes, property taxes or sales tax also pay for those roads and therefore should have access to riding their bikes on those roads.
An understanding of governmental budgeting and funding is a lot to ask of someone who thinks the impact of a bicycle on a roadway is in the same galaxy as the impact of personal or commercial automobiles/trucks.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:52 AM

309 posts, read 298,523 times
Quote:
The phrase “oversized compensation machine” is not applied exclusively to modern full-size pickups, nor is it strictly a function of size class. Oversized can also refer to engine size.

Some of the individuals I know compensating the hardest drive oversized luxury sedans and SUVs. The worst offenders drive Chargers/Challengers.
Maybe we just have to Dodge them....

Drips Oil Drips Gas Everywhere

Old 05-24-2023, 08:31 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,564,097 times
Quote:
An aggressive driver in an oversized truck broke numerous traffic laws, including attempting to run you personally off the road, yet the bicycles are somehow to blame?

I give up.
I never said that at all. I don't blame the bikers, I was merely just venting and moreover, these situations are probably happening more and more. As I said, I am sympathetic to road bikers because I did it for years. I stopped because it got way too dangerous! I would love to start again, but I value my life more than the urge to road bike.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:32 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,564,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunedin View Post
maybe the question is whether we as cyclists, obeying the law, want to be on these types of roads with dangerously crazy motorists. I don't.
this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary