Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2023, 04:03 PM

369 posts, read 296,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
We have minimum speed limits for a reason. Why they do not apply to cyclists I do not understand. We don't allow cyclists on the Interstate and I think the same reasons why apply to a lot of other roads.

Another poster suggested E-Bikes to keep up with traffic, and that I can get behind - its functionally not much different from a moped.

The bikes need to be able to somewhat keep up with traffic if no bike lanes are present. Mopeds can go around 35 MPH in a 55 zone, and I think ~20 MPH speed difference is the maximum that is "safe". How is a person supposed to slow down 40 MPH to match the cyclist? Often times I can't see them going around a curve or a hill until "surprise" there they are.

I know this thread for some just comes off as complaining, but I think there are some real potential solutions to this problem that are worth discussing.
In North Carolina, minimum speed limits are only in effect on interstate and primary state routes, and only when the minimum speed limit is signed. GS 20-141:
(c) Except while towing another vehicle, or when an advisory safe-speed sign indicates a slower speed, or as otherwise provided by law, it shall be unlawful to operate a passenger vehicle upon the interstate and primary highway system at less than the following speeds:

(1) Forty miles per hour in a speed zone of 55 miles per hour.

(2) Forty-five miles per hour in a speed zone of 60 miles per hour or greater.

These minimum speeds shall be effective only when appropriate signs are posted indicating the minimum speed.
The person who posted earlier who said that they should pass a group of bicycles and then slow down to 10 MPH is not doing anything illegally. They're a jerk, but not an illegal one. (Absent the "reckless driving" statutes, of course.)

Something I missed in an earlier post regarding bicycles, and specifically somebody stating that they typically rode against traffic. That's illegal and dangerous.

Pedestrians are supposed to walk against traffic, that's so they can see oncoming vehicles and react to them by moving off the roadway if necessary for their safety (if they are walking in the street legally with no sidewalk or side path available.)

For a bicycle, that's not typically an option to bail out safely (less flexible.) Bicycles are going faster than pedestrians (typically.) By riding against traffic, you eliminate a safe option for me as a motor vehicle driver to pass you. If you are riding with traffic, I can choose when/where to pass you, and pick a place where there is no opposing traffic so that I can pass you with the required spacing. If you're riding against traffic, then I don't get to pick that safe option, and you're forcing an encounter quite possibly in the worst time/place possible. If there's a bad encounter, you're going to lose, and since you're the one in the road moving illegally, you (or your heirs in all likelihood since you won't be around) will also lose in court since you will be at fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 04:42 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,359,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
How do you deal with slow moving farm equipment that is going 10-20 mph in a 55 mph zone in rural NC?
Pained every time I get behind one. But there aren't a lot of "tractor lanes" out there for them to use, either.

Old 05-25-2023, 04:56 PM

374 posts, read 259,072 times
Quote:
We have minimum speed limits for a reason. Why they do not apply to cyclists I do not understand. We don't allow cyclists on the Interstate and I think the same reasons why apply to a lot of other roads.

Another poster suggested E-Bikes to keep up with traffic, and that I can get behind - its functionally not much different from a moped.

The bikes need to be able to somewhat keep up with traffic if no bike lanes are present. Mopeds can go around 35 MPH in a 55 zone, and I think ~20 MPH speed difference is the maximum that is "safe". How is a person supposed to slow down 40 MPH to match the cyclist? Often times I can't see them going around a curve or a hill until "surprise" there they are.

I know this thread for some just comes off as complaining, but I think there are some real potential solutions to this problem that are worth discussing.

You'll always have these kinds of posts unless the bike path infrastructure is built extensively enough that bikes wind up banned from highways.

Old 05-25-2023, 06:57 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
About 5.35pm today going southbound on Green Level Church Rd:

There's a cyclist in the left turn lane at the intersection of Morrisville Parkway - he has a blinking yellow left turn light. He's first in the left turn lane and a huge line of cars behind him, extending past the left turn lane and spilling onto the regular road. Traffic wanting to turn left onto Morrisville Pkwy was backed up all the way to Winterborne Dr, with people not used to that backup and serving and other stupid maneuvers around that road.

Oncoming traffic (northbound) on Green Level Church rd is so heavy and fast that he is unable to make a left turn (it's a 4 lane intersection here) and he's probably been waiting there for a long time. If it was a car, or anything with a motor/engine, they could have jetted a left turn but a cyclist is too slow for that traffic. As a result, he's holding up the entire line of cars behind him causing more issues with intersections behind him. He finally goes an all yellow/red light on the left turn, leaving a huge line to wait for the next green left turn. Not to mention how many fuming commuters are behind him. What's he doing, trying to prove a point?

He obviously was not going home from work from his attire and gear and carrying no luggage/cargo. Like others have said, biking is relaxing, fun in the outdoors and feel like you're part of the Earth. But it does not belong on many roads here and definitely not during rush hour. I can't imagine the ridiculousness that happens on poorly designed roads in Apex, Holly Springs, etc

Old 05-25-2023, 07:08 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
About 5.35pm today going southbound on Green Level Church Rd:

There's a cyclist in the left turn lane at the intersection of Morrisville Parkway - he has a blinking yellow left turn light. He's first in the left turn lane and a huge line of cars behind him, extending past the left turn lane and spilling onto the regular road. Traffic wanting to turn left onto Morrisville Pkwy was backed up all the way to Winterborne Dr, with people not used to that backup and serving and other stupid maneuvers around that road.

Oncoming traffic (northbound) on Green Level Church rd is so heavy and fast that he is unable to make a left turn (it's a 4 lane intersection here) and he's probably been waiting there for a long time. If it was a car, or anything with a motor/engine, they could have jetted a left turn but a cyclist is too slow for that traffic. As a result, he's holding up the entire line of cars behind him causing more issues with intersections behind him. He finally goes an all yellow/red light on the left turn, leaving a huge line to wait for the next green left turn. Not to mention how many fuming commuters are behind him. What's he doing, trying to prove a point?

He obviously was not going home from work from his attire and gear and carrying no luggage/cargo. Like others have said, biking is relaxing, fun in the outdoors and feel like you're part of the Earth. But it does not belong on many roads here and definitely not during rush hour. I can't imagine the ridiculousness that happens on poorly designed roads in Apex, Holly Springs, etc
I mean it's not even a full light cycle. He obviously got there after the green arrow, and you said he turned at the end of the flashing yellow. This happens all the time with cars as well at busy intersections - that's why they have a protected green at the beginning or end of the cycle.

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, sounds like there would have been a line of cars regardless. Maybe the light timing is off? You can report it to TOC at 311 if so...

Old 05-25-2023, 07:54 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I mean it's not even a full light cycle. He obviously got there after the green arrow, and you said he turned at the end of the flashing yellow. This happens all the time with cars as well at busy intersections - that's why they have a protected green at the beginning or end of the cycle.

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, sounds like there would have been a line of cars regardless. Maybe the light timing is off? You can report it to TOC at 311 if so...
I don’t know, but seemed like a big deal to everyone else. And normally, several cars make a left turn on the flashing yellow there but the cyclist couldn’t due to the slow speed and the fast oncoming traffic.

Old 05-26-2023, 05:50 AM

341 posts, read 297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Then you're going too fast. It could be a cyclist or a child or an animal or a farm tractor or a boulder, and it's your responsibility to be ready for any of them.
Or maybe bicycle riders are going too slow

-Animals get hit every day.
-Never seen a boulder laying in the middle of the road
-Even children know not to play in the middle of the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
How do you deal with slow moving farm equipment that is going 10-20 mph in a 55 mph zone in rural NC?

How often is that? Because it's sure not every weekend and weekdays during rush hour and even they pull over to let cars pass by.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:11 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
They slow everyone else up and back up traffic at 10mph. Little payback feels good. All they have to do is ride on the white line single file. But NO. Lets just take up the entire lane and screw everyone else
You couldn't pass them legally (or safely) on a 2-lane road if they were on the white line, and if it were a four-lane road they wouldn't be holding up traffic.

So you are saying:
1. Ignore the laws, you don't care (but it's still the cyclists fault)
2. Put other humans in danger, it's all good as long as you get to your destination
3. Your idea of solving problems is to "give payback", and it "feels good" to make others suffer

Not that anyone will change your mind, but you really are a prime exhibit as to why "all" cyclists or "all" drivers are not the problem, just a few unethical, uninformed, uncaring folks with no regard for anyone or anything other than themselves are the real problem. And yes, some ride bikes, some drive cars. Their mode of transportation is NOT the ISSUE.

Thanks for clarifying that last point for anyone who hasn't gotten it yet. Should be clear.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:27 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Generally speaking the do apply to cyclists, the law is:

Quote:
3.1 Statutory Speed Limits The statutory maximum speed limit for vehicles within municipal corporate limits is 35 miles per hour (MPH) and the statutory maximum speed limit for vehicles outside municipal corporate limits is 55 MPH (§20-141, b). Statutory minimum speed limits for passenger vehicles on interstates and other primary routes on the State Highway System are 40 MPH for roads with maximum speed limits of 55 MPH, and 45 MPH for roads with maximum speed limits of at least 60 MPH, but are only effective when signed (§20141, c).
https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/...eed_Limits.pdf

As you probably know, cyclists are banned (as they should be) from limited access highways.

Again, you guys are basically demonstrating that you don't value anyone else's life or needs if they cause any inconvenience to you.

I still don't understand why you are willing to take the risk of mowing a cyclist down and devestating a family by killing their loved ones, but you don't seem to be willing to take that same risk with a massive farm tractor. Since many have already stated they understand the laws of physics, I guess you are just demonstrating that you place a higher value on your own life than that of someone else. You litterally say that you risk whipping around a corner not knowing if a cyclist (or kid) is there or not, even though you state it is very likely they are there, and you state that you know the laws of physics and know that impact will KILL them, but since you don't think Farm Tractors and Boulders are all that common, you're willing to take the risk. Seriously, how do you justify this?

^EDIT: Yeah, it seems a bit dramatic, but this is literally a summary of what you and a few others have said. The majority of people just want to find the solution to a problem and that's a great discussion. You guys? Honestly, if you ever do "accidentally" mow down a cyclist who was between you and your McDouble, I certainly hope that the lawyers for the deceased find your comments in this discussion. It's sad how much some have devalued human life.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:45 AM

341 posts, read 297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
You couldn't pass them legally (or safely) on a 2-lane road if they were on the white line, and if it were a four-lane road they wouldn't be holding up traffic.

So you are saying:
1. Ignore the laws, you don't care (but it's still the cyclists fault) Its a highway for cars

2. Put other humans in danger, it's all good as long as you get to your destination They are playing in the middle of the road, seems they are putting themselves in danger as well as those who will pass or come around a corner doing the posted speed limit and have to lock up the brakes

3. Your idea of solving problems is to "give payback", and it "feels good" to make others suffer Just returning the favor by driving just as slow. Ironic huh?

^

Last edited by CalypsoNotch; 05-26-2023 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary