Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 09:25 AM

104 posts, read 66,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
It's become apparent that the law is on the side of cyclists regarding the content of this thread. Still, with the motoring public becoming dumber, less skilled and more aggressive, and with roadways becoming ever more congested, I'd advocate for a more judicious selection of how, when and where we ride. Personally, I've never been afraid to write off a particular route as problematic. Of my many failings, stubborn insistence has never numbered among them.
Thanks - most experienced road riding cyclists, especially those that commute, continually make such choices.

We've had to try out various routes and learn which ones work or are problematic - such as, "can't reliably make a left here", "the road design, obstruction, quality, or climb grade prevents [an action or path]" - even, "damn - [a route] would have been a much more direct way, but it's too risky". For our own safety, and for semi-peaceful driver/cyclist coexistence.

Commuting drivers and bicyclists both try out routes and hope they work well - sometimes they don't, and often not for the same reason(s).

My personal experience? I bicycle commuted in various cities and suburban areas, on both coasts, on & off for forty-five years. Owned/rode motorcycles too. Now retired, older, and weaker I now ride relatively fast home-assembled electric pedal bicycles to complete most errand running (groceries and the like). I get the impression that my e-bike's ability to go that much faster (averaging 20mph, short bursts in the 30s) reduces driver angst/anger, and opens up more route possibilities. There are some rather large downsides to e-bikes though (ride quality non-powered, initial purchase cost, and battery safety are some examples), and their range versus speed tradeoff is limiting. But for some, e-bikes have reduced reliance on cars for in-range, route-permitting commuting and errands.

Last edited by ncwheeling; 05-28-2023 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 07:39 AM

5 posts, read 2,157 times
Bicycle riders love to hog up the entire lane and cause rolling traffic jams. Everyone knows they are doing it on purpose or they would pull over and let people get by. Most never stop for stop signs either. Really needs to be banned because it’s illegal to impede traffic

Old 05-29-2023, 08:32 AM

5,480 posts, read 6,127,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSS View Post
Bicycle riders love to hog up the entire lane and cause rolling traffic jams. Everyone knows they are doing it on purpose or they would pull over and let people get by. Most never stop for stop signs either. Really needs to be banned because it’s illegal to impede traffic

Old 05-29-2023, 08:58 AM

6,411 posts, read 5,541,406 times
A lot of this thread is reading like that time Bob Dumas from G105 encouraged listeners to throw trash at cyclists while driving past them. Grow up.

Do I get annoyed with the inconvenience of having to slow down/go around cyclists on road while I'm driving? Sure. Do I wish bike-lanes were more ubiquitous on local roads to ease the issue...yep. But the childish quips and whining here is ridiculous.

Old 05-29-2023, 11:18 PM

374 posts, read 264,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
A lot of this thread is reading like that time Bob Dumas from G105 encouraged listeners to throw trash at cyclists while driving past them. Grow up.

Do I get annoyed with the inconvenience of having to slow down/go around cyclists on road while I'm driving? Sure. Do I wish bike-lanes were more ubiquitous on local roads to ease the issue...yep. But the childish quips and whining here is ridiculous.

Lol...almost everyone can't wait til the U.S. has an elaborate bike path system patterned after many of our roadways. They just don't want to admit they'd be willing to spare the dime

Old 05-30-2023, 06:07 AM

218 posts, read 311,105 times
Chevy drivers love to hog up the shoulders broken down, causing rolling traffic jams as people work to safely maneuver around them. Most never stop for stop signs either. Really needs to be banned because it’s illegal to impede traffic.

Old 05-30-2023, 11:31 AM

374 posts, read 239,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Generally speaking the do apply to cyclists, the law is:

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/...eed_Limits.pdf

As you probably know, cyclists are banned (as they should be) from limited access highways.
You just quoted me saying that, so yes, I do know.

Quote:
Again, you guys are basically demonstrating that you don't value anyone else's life or needs if they cause any inconvenience to you.
I don't answer to "you guys". I am my own person, with my own thoughts and ideas, and I don't subscribe to your "us vs. them" mentality. Your assessment is entirely wrong, but you're entitled to think whatever you'd like.

Quote:
I still don't understand why you are willing to take the risk of mowing a cyclist down and devestating a family by killing their loved ones, but you don't seem to be willing to take that same risk with a massive farm tractor. Since many have already stated they understand the laws of physics, I guess you are just demonstrating that you place a higher value on your own life than that of someone else. You litterally say that you risk whipping around a corner not knowing if a cyclist (or kid) is there or not, even though you state it is very likely they are there, and you state that you know the laws of physics and know that impact will KILL them, but since you don't think Farm Tractors and Boulders are all that common, you're willing to take the risk. Seriously, how do you justify this?
Your reading comprehension is terrible. Whatever you think you read, you didn't.

Quote:
^EDIT: Yeah, it seems a bit dramatic, but this is literally a summary of what you and a few others have said. The majority of people just want to find the solution to a problem and that's a great discussion. You guys? Honestly, if you ever do "accidentally" mow down a cyclist who was between you and your McDouble, I certainly hope that the lawyers for the deceased find your comments in this discussion. It's sad how much some have devalued human life.
Of course its dramatic. You took my words and spliced them into the words of other people to say that I said something that I never did.

Old 05-30-2023, 11:40 AM

374 posts, read 239,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
How do you deal with slow moving farm equipment that is going 10-20 mph in a 55 mph zone in rural NC?
I don't deal with it personally but if its a truly rural area, it doesn't present as big of a danger to the operator and the general public as a heavily trafficked road in RTP. Some of these usage decisions could be better made with input from local officials.

Old 05-30-2023, 12:05 PM

5 posts, read 2,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge View Post
Chevy drivers love to hog up the shoulders broken down, causing rolling traffic jams as people work to safely maneuver around them. Most never stop for stop signs either. Really needs to be banned because it’s illegal to impede traffic.
While it’s true Gm transmissions are junk and they do break down and cause traffic issues, Do you know the difference between a Chevy driver causing issues and the bicycle rider causing the issues? The Chevy driver doesn’t laugh about it

Old 05-30-2023, 06:52 PM

218 posts, read 311,105 times
Ah yes, notoriously emotionless automobile drivers vs the ever prone to murderous road rage cyclist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary