Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 07:14 PM
jhk

108 posts, read 256,367 times

Advertisements

Just don’t be mad if I slow down to 5 mph if I get In Front of you in my car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 12:07 PM

11,233 posts, read 8,328,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
You just quoted me saying that, so yes, I do know.

I don't answer to "you guys". I am my own person, with my own thoughts and ideas, and I don't subscribe to your "us vs. them" mentality. Your assessment is entirely wrong, but you're entitled to think whatever you'd like.

Your reading comprehension is terrible. Whatever you think you read, you didn't.

Of course its dramatic. You took my words and spliced them into the words of other people to say that I said something that I never did.
Apologies for generalizing, your comment is noted. That being said, I was lumping you in with all the other people who said basically the same thing. You specifically said:
Quote:
Often times I can't see them going around a curve or a hill until "surprise" there they are.
So my point was that "you guys" who are willing to go blindly into a curve, not knowing what is around it, seem to be willing to take the risk of hitting a cyclist, kid, oak tree, farm tractor or whatever.

One thing I totally agree with you on, which many seem to miss: It is absolutely not an "us vs them" thing. If you read this entire thread, you will see that the cyclists are in the "share the road" mentality. "We". It's the OP and everyone who spoke in support of him who claim the road belongs to them, and cyclist (and I quote) DO NOT belong in traffic.

I don't know how you feel about it, so I won't speak for you. But I'm in the "we" crowd (Share the road). I'm a driver and a cyclist, and just simply want and give respect for all users. You won't see me needlessly hogging the lane, blindly running stopsigns, blah blah blah. I've said all that already.

I'm sure if we all sat down and had a beer together, we'd find out we're more alike than different. The internet is not good for dialogue sometimes.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:07 PM

218 posts, read 310,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhk View Post
Just don’t be mad if I slow down to 5 mph if I get In Front of you in my car
I’ll just pass you and go about by day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Condolences to anyone whose life is so empty that they can spare the energy and brain space on petty road disputes.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:14 PM

218 posts, read 310,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
One thing I totally agree with you on, which many seem to miss: It is absolutely not an "us vs them" thing. If you read this entire thread, you will see that the cyclists are in the "share the road" mentality. "We". It's the OP and everyone who spoke in support of him who claim the road belongs to them, and cyclist (and I quote) DO NOT belong in traffic.

I don't know how you feel about it, so I won't speak for you. But I'm in the "we" crowd (Share the road). I'm a driver and a cyclist, and just simply want and give respect for all users. You won't see me needlessly hogging the lane, blindly running stopsigns, blah blah blah. I've said all that already.

I'm sure if we all sat down and had a beer together, we'd find out we're more alike than different. The internet is not good for dialogue sometimes.
You nailed it.

I drive far more than I cycle, and I see more drivers whose actions indicate they have no reason to be on the road than I’d like to admit. (Sometimes, the truth is too damn frightening.) That said, butthead cyclists do exist. I understand the chip on the shoulder - I really do - but it does **** all to improve conditions for cycling. I drive like I cycle - defensively, as low key as possible, and with the target on enjoying my drive/ride while safely completing the task at hand.

A targeted campaign to increase compliance with traffic laws across all modes of transport (holy nuts and bolts, we haven’t even touched on motorcyclists in this thread) is much needed - and this is coming from someone who generally prefers we keep LE out of the business of citizens as much as possible.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:01 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,018,516 times
The real issue as I see it doesn't lie with the cyclists or the motorists. It lies with the roads and the laws.

All NC roads do not have a designated and well marked bike lane. I am talking about 6'-8' cycling lanes marked as such and even in some cases with road markers/bumps between the main lane and the bike lane so that they are a divided and safe area for the cyclist to use.

Another thing NC doesn't seem to have that many other states have is the 2X2 law. This law states that cyclists are not allowed to ride with more than 2 cyclists side by side in the lane.

Both of these would go a long way in providing cyclists safety as well as alleviate motorists frustration.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:22 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,030,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
The real issue as I see it doesn't lie with the cyclists or the motorists. It lies with the roads and the laws.

All NC roads do not have a designated and well marked bike lane. I am talking about 6'-8' cycling lanes marked as such and even in some cases with road markers/bumps between the main lane and the bike lane so that they are a divided and safe area for the cyclist to use.

Another thing NC doesn't seem to have that many other states have is the 2X2 law. This law states that cyclists are not allowed to ride with more than 2 cyclists side by side in the lane.

Both of these would go a long way in providing cyclists safety as well as alleviate motorists frustration.
How does this help? It seems that as long at the cyclists are in the lane then it shouldnt matter.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
How does this help? It seems that as long at the cyclists are in the lane then it shouldnt matter.
If there were proper bike lanes then the cyclist wouldn't be in the auto lane. There would be no having to pass them by the driver having to go into the on coming traffic lane. Each road user has their designated area. Pretty simple concept.

As far as the 2 by 2 law in areas where there are no bike lanes the cyclist stays to the right and instead of taking up an entire lane they are only 2 cyclists wide making passing easier for the motorists. There is a big difference in ease of passing when a cyclist/s aren't taking up the entire lane.

With the amount of cyclists NC has designated bike lanes like I describe above are really called for.

Old 06-02-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
If there were proper bike lanes then the cyclist wouldn't be in the auto lane. There would be no having to pass them by the driver having to go into the on coming traffic lane. Each road user has their designated area. Pretty simple concept.

As far as the 2 by 2 law in areas where there are no bike lanes the cyclist stays to the right and instead of taking up an entire lane they are only 2 cyclists wide making passing easier for the motorists. There is a big difference in ease of passing when a cyclist/s aren't taking up the entire lane.

With the amount of cyclists NC has designated bike lanes like I describe above are really called for.
I get the bike lane but I dont see how the 2 cyclist limit helps. If someone is passing anyone, whether who they are passing is on a bike or a car, they shouldnt be completely out of the lane they are passing.

Old 06-02-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
whether who they are passing is on a bike or a car, they shouldnt be completely out of the lane they are passing.
How does one pass a car that is going slower if they aren't totally our of the lane they are passing?

Having lived in states that have these rules and bike lanes, all I can say is bicyclists and the road rage we have here in NC over them, is not an issue.

Old 06-02-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
How does one pass a car that is going slower if they aren't totally our of the lane they are passing?

Having lived in states that have these rules and bike lanes, all I can say is bicyclists and the road rage we have here in NC over them, is not an issue.
Im not sure what you are asking here. You are saying that it is safter if bikes are only 2 across. Im saying that if bikes are 3 across but still in the same lane, how is it any more dangerous then being only 2 across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary