Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 01:54 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,010,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwheeling View Post
I believe it was under a different circumstance (commuting to work, as opposed to home (and the related picture)).
The OP referred to this specific picture in this thread, thats why Im asking him what he see as wrong. They probably should be spread out more but other then that I dont see much wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 01:56 PM

104 posts, read 64,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
(Side note but I can understand why bicyclists run stop signs or signals - it's a lot harder to get moving from a stop when on a bike compared to pushing a pedal in a car. Doesn't make it right but that's probably the motivation there)
I'd agree - the urge to conserve momentum. Going electric reduces the urge somewhat.

Old 05-19-2023, 02:00 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,586,911 times
Quote:
I'd agree - the urge to conserve momentum. Going electric reduces the urge somewhat.
There are some states that allow bicyclists to treat stop signs like yield signs (and to proceed through a red signal after a stop provided they yield to everyone else with the right of way due to detection issues with bicyclists)

https://bikeleague.org/sites/default...eld_8_2018.pdf

Old 05-19-2023, 02:05 PM

104 posts, read 64,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
I understand bicycles are considered "vehicles" and can ride on the roadways just like cars/trucks, but in a high traffic area and growing number of people from out of state and ppl who just can't drive carefully, this is ridiculous!
On Green Level Church Rd in west Cary, we have bicyclists who are riding at 8-10mph at 5.30pm on a weekday, with a large line of impatient 5000+ lbs SUVs behind him/her itching to pass them on a 2 lane road.
IIRC, NC-540 parallels Green Level Church Road, is all of 1/2 mile away, and was built to handle high-speed high-volume traffic - is NC-540 not convenient?

Old 05-19-2023, 02:12 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,269,179 times
Are we talking about Green Level Church or Green Level West? Isn't only a small part of Green Level Church 2 lanes? Most of it is 4, or at least has a very large shoulder where the pavement has been widened but not everywhere?

Old 05-19-2023, 02:13 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,876 times
Quote:
IIRC, NC-540 parallels Green Level Church Road, is all of 1/2 mile away, and was built to handle high-speed high-volume traffic - is NC-540 not convenient to/for the OP?
It does cost money to use NC-540, while Green Level Church Rd is free to use, so that may be a factor. TBH, if I were a biker I'm not sure I would choose to gather a large group during rush hour as was done in this case. Yes, it is legal, but a different time or a more rural road might make more sense.

Old 05-19-2023, 02:13 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,489,331 times
I sure hope whoever took the photo in the OP was a passenger in the vehicle and not the driver....

You want to talk about dangerous/illegal activity on the roads.....

Old 05-19-2023, 02:38 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Are we talking about Green Level Church or Green Level West? Isn't only a small part of Green Level Church 2 lanes? Most of it is 4, or at least has a very large shoulder where the pavement has been widened but not everywhere?
Green Level Church is not 4 lanes till you get up to the Mills Park area.From the USA Baseball area down to Kelly Road-ish it's one lane each way. (I'm too lazy to look up the names of the cross streets). That pic looks like Green Level Church by the church near Green Level HS.

The OP already said he lives in the area, while it would be nice if 540 turned into his driveway at some point I'm guessing he must get on a surface street.

Just a matter of time till some p!ssed off nutter crashes into a peloton.

Old 05-19-2023, 02:50 PM

4,545 posts, read 3,746,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
The OP referred to this specific picture in this thread, thats why Im asking him what he see as wrong. They probably should be spread out more but other then that I dont see much wrong.

What's wrong in the picture is a group of bicyclists going 10mph when the speed limit is 45mph or 50mph depending on the road in Cary, or wherever in the Triangle area, in rush hour traffic - it's much hard to pass them than a single rider. Creating a very long traffic backup that chains all the way to traffic lights downstream.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to put a 20lb bike going 10mph on the same roads as a 4000+ lb vehicles shuttling kids to activities, people coming home from work, etc is pretty bad. Add to the fact that people don't even know how to drive their 4000 lb vehicles and you have a mess.

These bicycles shouldn't be allowed on the roads. Always causing traffic backups and making dangerous situations everywhere on these roads as everyone tries to pass them. Traffic continues to get very congested in the Triangle and more dangerous, and now you have bicyclists who think they own the road in their 10mph "vehicle."

Old 05-19-2023, 03:18 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
What's wrong in the picture is a group of bicyclists going 10mph when the speed limit is 45mph or 50mph depending on the road in Cary, or wherever in the Triangle area, in rush hour traffic - it's much hard to pass them than a single rider. Creating a very long traffic backup that chains all the way to traffic lights downstream.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to put a 20lb bike going 10mph on the same roads as a 4000+ lb vehicles shuttling kids to activities, people coming home from work, etc is pretty bad. Add to the fact that people don't even know how to drive their 4000 lb vehicles and you have a mess.

These bicycles shouldn't be allowed on the roads. Always causing traffic backups and making dangerous situations everywhere on these roads as everyone tries to pass them. Traffic continues to get very congested in the Triangle and more dangerous, and now you have bicyclists who think they own the road in their 10mph "vehicle."
I'm not a bike rider, but to suggest they shouldn't be allowed on the road is a bit extreme. They have every legal right to be there, just like a person driving a car has the right to be there, too. I would suggest that having that number of riders on a road during rush hour is not ideal, and said so previouslyi, but spending an extra 5 minutes on a commute isn't the end of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary