Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 04:44 PM

374 posts, read 257,185 times

Advertisements

Legal for cyclists to take the whole lane? Yes. However, in practical terms, this is high risk in certain areas. I would advise against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 10:34 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
I have no issue with a cyclist who takes the full lane. I have no issues with cyclists in general, so long as they obey the rules.

The "street diet" program in Raleigh, however, does concern me. They say that narrowing the vehicle lanes to make room for bike lanes doesn't increase accidents unless the lanes get as narrow as Falls of Neuse. I'm not convinced. One thing for sure... changing a 4-lane to a 2-lane can make traffic back up at lights.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:40 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
We love to ride our bikes. Maybe it's legal to take up a whole lane--but we don't-- we keep to the far right just like a car would.

It's the rule of tonnage.

Motorists in our town are polite and give us a wide berth...but when the tourists come, it's a different story.

We're not going to pit our bikes against their cars, trucks and SUVs. The rule of tonnage applies.

Old 05-21-2023, 12:11 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I have no issue with a cyclist who takes the full lane. I have no issues with cyclists in general, so long as they obey the rules.

The "street diet" program in Raleigh, however, does concern me. They say that narrowing the vehicle lanes to make room for bike lanes doesn't increase accidents unless the lanes get as narrow as Falls of Neuse. I'm not convinced. One thing for sure... changing a 4-lane to a 2-lane can make traffic back up at lights.
It's generally fine for roads that have daily volumes under 20-25,000 vehicles (https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/road_die...de/ch3.cfm#s33 Section 3.3.5)

Old 05-21-2023, 04:52 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
We love to ride our bikes. Maybe it's legal to take up a whole lane--but we don't-- we keep to the far right just like a car would.

Motorists in our town are polite and give us a wide berth...but when the tourists come, it's a different story.

We're not going to pit our bikes against their cars, trucks and SUVs. The rule of tonnage applies.
I ride as far right as humanly possible. This is simply my own, personal decision and I'm likely too old to change now. And just me again, but I DON’T want to inconvenience motorists. If a rider uses an entire lane, how does traffic get around in a no passing zone? Especially a line of traffic. And if you're in the middle of a lane, how can a motorist afford you the clearance mandated by law? I'm genuinely interested in this stuff now.

Old 05-21-2023, 05:40 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
It very much depends on the road conditions. If the lane is wide enough that they can pass safely in the lane, then it's good practice to stay right.

It gets dicier when it's not really wide enough to pass safely within the lane. In those cases it's better to take more of the lane to make yourself more visible and "force" them to actively change lanes in order to pass rather than having them pass too closely.

Passing cyclists in a no passing zone is permitted in NC as of a few years ago, as long as you give the cyclist four feet of clearance. And of course it has to be safe to make the pass with enough visibility of oncoming traffic.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:03 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,805 times
On top of what OP posted...I don't like bicycles on the road because they don't pay anything. Meaning they don't pay registration or taxes to pay to use them, repairs, or bike lanes. We pay tolls for some highways, vehicle registrations, gas tax, all that pay for road maintenance on some way.

Old 05-21-2023, 06:19 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanFischlerHockE View Post
On top of what OP posted...I don't like bicycles on the road because they don't pay anything. Meaning they don't pay registration or taxes to pay to use them, repairs, or bike lanes. We pay tolls for some highways, vehicle registrations, gas tax, all that pay for road maintenance on some way.
That's sort of like saying pedestrians should pay registration/taxes to walk on the roads. I think I feel pretty ok about the very few bicycles that cause very little damage (if any) to roadways, not contributing on that front. Plus I'm sure like 99% of bicyclists also drive and have cars.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:02 PM

377 posts, read 203,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

Cyclists in Raleigh don't have to worry about "the rule of tonnage". Raleigh was smart enough to paint white lines on major streets indicating "bicycle lanes". Meaning, as long as you rode inside the "painted" lane it was cool to ride on a street designed for cars, trucks, 18 wheelers and busses. It was called the "Les Nessman" law. The painted line is strong enough to prevent cars, trucks, 18 wheelers and busses from hitting cyclists.

Last edited by Mr. Big; 05-21-2023 at 07:21 PM..

Old 05-21-2023, 07:41 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanFischlerHockE View Post
What percent of bicyclists in NC don't also pay vehicle registration taxes? Probably slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary