Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2023, 08:16 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Look at this photo near where I live in western Wake Co, where the bicyclists have ABSOLUTELY NO regard for traffic conditions and rules.

We already have a traffic problem in the Triangle that is growing at an exponential rate, and they just keep adding bicycle lanes on very busy roads. What is the point of that, to alleviate traffic, reduce pollution or that is the "liberal" thing to do these days?

I understand bicycles are considered "vehicles" and can ride on the roadways just like cars/trucks, but in a high traffic area and growing number of people from out of state and ppl who just can't drive carefully, this is ridiculous!

Where on the planet do you think driving a bicycle that travels at 10-15mph is okay to jut in there with 4000 to 6000 lb vehicles doing 45+ mph and other dangerous and unlawful maneuvers?

On Green Level Church Rd in west Cary, we have bicyclists who are riding at 8-10mph at 5.30pm on a weekday, with a large line of impatient 5000+ lbs SUVs behind him/her itching to pass them on a 2 lane road. And when they do pass, they endanger the oncoming traffic due to no room to move over or anywhere else to go.

Bicycles should be out!

Bicyclists riding in western Wake Co, blocking lanes, with no regards to any other traffic:
Oh my goodness!!! Call the POLICE!!! Where are their parents LOL.

OP, as much as I love my city; I'm embarrassed to say that Charlotte is the poster child for illegal street behavior in our state. Charlotte Mecklenburg police have made several arrests and things have gotten a lot better within the last 6 months; but as recently as a year ago we had idiots playing chicken with the light rail trains, transit buses, and the public and sometimes they were losing....

And then there's the street stunts and street racers....

After watching the videos above; I'm sure you can see exactly why few responses on this thread empathizes with you. Law abiding citizens safely riding in a group and doing so sensibly is a good thing. It's a great thing actually. I've personally witnessed far worse than your picture. I don't see aggressive thugs in your picture at all, so I'm just not understanding your displeasure....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 06:11 AM

341 posts, read 296,541 times
should be illegal to ride bicycles on the road in groups

Old 05-22-2023, 06:14 AM

66 posts, read 49,370 times
Quote:
Most of time, he was riding in the middle of the lane
Then it seems like you don't have a problem with cyclists, as this guy was doing exactly as the law allows (cyclists may use the full lane). You need to complain to your legislator so they will change the law.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
What's wrong in the picture is a group of bicyclists going 10mph when the speed limit is 45mph or 50mph depending on the road in Cary, or wherever in the Triangle area, in rush hour traffic - it's much hard to pass them than a single rider. Creating a very long traffic backup that chains all the way to traffic lights downstream.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to put a 20lb bike going 10mph on the same roads as a 4000+ lb vehicles shuttling kids to activities, people coming home from work, etc is pretty bad. Add to the fact that people don't even know how to drive their 4000 lb vehicles and you have a mess.

These bicycles shouldn't be allowed on the roads. Always causing traffic backups and making dangerous situations everywhere on these roads as everyone tries to pass them. Traffic continues to get very congested in the Triangle and more dangerous, and now you have bicyclists who think they own the road in their 10mph "vehicle."
Let's compare here:

Seen occasionally:
- Bicycles on the road going 10 mph - LEGAL

Seen more frequently:
- Drivers looking on their phones while driving - ILLEGAL
- Drunk drivers - ILLEGAL
- Speeding Drivers - ILLEGAL
- Tailgating Drivers - ILLEGAL

So why are you complaining about LEGAL activity, and don't mention ILLEGAL activity - oh, it must be because the ILLEGAL activity doesn't delay you for a few moments from getting where you want to go, even though the ILLEGAL activity hastens the time it takes you to get into the grave.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
Legal for cyclists to take the whole lane? Yes. However, in practical terms, this is high risk in certain areas. I would advise against it.
Actually, this is low risk.

When the cyclist is close to the side of the road, drivers will think there is enough room for their vehicle and the cyclist and try to pass them even with oncoming traffic even though there is not enough room for the cyclist and driver in the lane. The driver sideswipes the cyclist while trying to avoid the oncoming traffic and the cyclist goes down.

If the cyclist is in the middle of the lane, the driver will not think that there is enough room to pass them with oncoming traffic in the other lane and will wait until it's safe... and a good cyclist will move to the right when it's safe, giving clear indication to the drive behind them that it is safe to pass.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Oh my goodness!!! Call the POLICE!!! Where are their parents LOL.

OP, as much as I love my city; I'm embarrassed to say that Charlotte is the poster child for illegal street behavior in our state. Charlotte Mecklenburg police have made several arrests and things have gotten a lot better within the last 6 months; but as recently as a year ago we had idiots playing chicken with the light rail trains, transit buses, and the public and sometimes they were losing....

And then there's the street stunts and street racers....

After watching the videos above; I'm sure you can see exactly why few responses on this thread empathizes with you. Law abiding citizens safely riding in a group and doing so sensibly is a good thing. It's a great thing actually. I've personally witnessed far worse than your picture. I don't see aggressive thugs in your picture at all, so I'm just not understanding your displeasure....
Interesting... but those in the videos are not the MAMILs (Middle-Aged Men In Lycra) that the OP's photo shows.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
should be illegal to ride bicycles on the road in groups
Doubt anyone here can do anything about that, but you and the OP should contact some of these guys as THEY CAN ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT: https://www.ncleg.gov/Members/ContactInfo/H

Old 05-22-2023, 10:09 AM

180 posts, read 96,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanFischlerHockE View Post
On top of what OP posted...I don't like bicycles on the road because they don't pay anything. Meaning they don't pay registration or taxes to pay to use them, repairs, or bike lanes. We pay tolls for some highways, vehicle registrations, gas tax, all that pay for road maintenance on some way.
Cyclists are significant contributors to society. Cyclists do not contribute to the wear and tear of roads nor emit damaging greenhouse gases.

About 3 years ago a NC legislator in mid west NC tried to ban cyclists from public roads. He was promptly beaten down by business leaders in his district. The bloke didn't realize that cyclists spend millions of dollars annually in his district.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:51 AM

180 posts, read 96,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
I ride as far right as humanly possible. This is simply my own, personal decision and I'm likely too old to change now. And just me again, but I DON’T want to inconvenience motorists. If a rider uses an entire lane, how does traffic get around in a no passing zone? Especially a line of traffic. And if you're in the middle of a lane, how can a motorist afford you the clearance mandated by law? I'm genuinely interested in this stuff now.
Dynamics are a bit different when riding solo vs riding in a group.

When riding solo I ride as far to the right as possible.....ideally to the right of the fog line....most of the time. There are times when I will take an entire lane if there are barriers on the right and/or left that prevent motorist from going around me in a safer manner.

Here is another link to a very useful guide. Ann Groninger is a prominent NC attorney.

https://www.bikewalknc.org/wp-conten...C_2019_WEB.pdf

See page 32.

Motorists crossing a double yellow line:
In the first edition of this book, I discussed passing on a solid double yellow line and said that, ideally, our state legislature would pass a law allowing motorists to pass on a solid double yellow, when it is safe to do so. In 2016, that law was passed;

Old 05-22-2023, 11:57 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"I love the smell of catharsis in the morning..."
But the rest of the house appreciates you turning the bathroom fan on and lighting a candle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanFischlerHockE View Post
On top of what OP posted...I don't like bicycles on the road because they don't pay anything. Meaning they don't pay registration or taxes to pay to use them, repairs, or bike lanes. We pay tolls for some highways, vehicle registrations, gas tax, all that pay for road maintenance on some way.
At a very base level, most of these cyclists are recreating. They aren't free riders in the sense that someone that commutes to work every day on a bicycle is. Those are relatively rare around here because the area isn't dense, and the summers are very hot, and the area is hilly. These are people that drive when they have to go somewhere. They're no different than joggers, other than the large group of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary