Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 06:37 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of people on the greenways and ATT who wear headphones. It applies to Runners, Walkers, Cyclists, EVERYONE.

All the time, when I ride my bike, I call out "On your left", "Behind you", etc. The majority of trail users hear and acknowledge this. I get a huge number of "thank you's" from people who I assume are understandably tired of people who don't call out. (Calling out is the rule).

The problem is that a lot of people have headphones, so they can't hear when a runner, cyclist, horseback rider or anyone faster than them calls out. Often they block the lane, turn around without looking, or just impede traffic. We all know from other discussions that "NOBODY" likes to be impeded.

I'm not writing this to complain. The purpose of my message is just to make people aware. I assume most people just don't think about it.

THERE IS A SOLUTION:
If you like to hear your music or podcast while you get out on the trails, they make open-ear bone conducting headphones. Many are available for under $35, I got mine on sale for $23. I can hear my music, but I can also hear traffic, voices, and other stuff. It's pretty amazing, and much safer.

Even though I know it's not likely, I'd love for this to NOT turn into an internet argument. I'm not demonizing people who (like myself) enjoy their music. It is my intent to offer them a solution that allows them to enjoy it more safely.

Here is an inexpensive option with 1100+ excellent reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C3LBGS43...WxfdGhlbWF0aWM

EDIT: I Have no experience with the linked option. I'm not endorsing it. Just showing an option. Do your own research and buy (or don't buy) whatever you think is best.

Last edited by Myghost; 06-05-2023 at 07:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 07:22 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Oh I am happy to hear about this. It's not just a safety issue for this situation but as a woman I've never liked wearing anything in my ears because I want to hear who is around me.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:43 AM

341 posts, read 296,883 times
You need to stay behind them until its safe to pass. If you are in that much of a hurry, leave the house earlier.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:46 AM

19,714 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Should be no problem as long as they follow the 'stay to the right' rule of the greenway.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:47 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Should be no problem as long as they follow the 'stay to the right' rule of the greenway.
The biggest issue I've had is people walking dogs who are on the right side but then also let their leashed pets wander over all over the greenway

Old 06-05-2023, 08:20 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Yes this!

I've been happy to see more of the local paved trails/greenways (namely Lake Lynn and Shelly Lake where I frequent) have added the yellow "dividing line". Makes the "road rules" more clear.

Stay in your lane for the direction of travel; if you need to pass someone who is ahead of you and moving slower; you briefly go into the "oncoming" lane to get around them; and go on your way. This applies to people who are running, walking, biking, scootering, one-wheeling, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The biggest issue I've had is people walking dogs who are on the right side but then also let their leashed pets wander over all over the greenway
NGL...I was guilty of this often. The lines have helped me better get into that mode. Dog leash is now always in my right hand and dog heels to my right to avoid this. I've noticed more people adapting to/abiding by this "rule" recently as well.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:21 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
You need to stay behind them until its safe to pass. If you are in that much of a hurry, leave the house earlier.

It's not about being in a hurry. It defeats the purpose of being on a bicycle when you have to remain behind a walker who is wandering around impeding the flow and unaware of anyone around them because they've got their noise canceling AirPod Pros in their ears.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:40 AM

4,167 posts, read 4,879,858 times
I just stay at home because it's safer than the greenways and I might live longer.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:54 AM

180 posts, read 96,715 times
Quote:
I don't ride the Greenway's much.......prefer the open roads.

But yes, stay back until it's safe to pass. I just use the greenway to go from one road to the next at a chill pace....saving the hammering for the roads.

Old 06-05-2023, 10:00 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
100% correct, and I do. I'm in no hurry, but regardless it's a safety issue if people can't hear what's going on. As another poster mentioned, it's also about personal safety. (I wouldn't wear headphones going to my car in a dark parking deck either, but might wear open ear ones.)

Quote:
Some don't, and when you let them know you're coming, they don't hear you, otherwise they could easily take a step to the right. As mentioned above, I won't pass them until I know they are aware of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Totally different issue, but I also agree. (That, and people who decide to hold a group discussion, but don't have the presence of mind to step to one side or the other. Usually they do this at the gate of a bridge, or some other bottleneck.)

Like I said, it's really a PSA. For those who want to try to get along with various trail users, these have proven to be a good solution. I hope someone might benefit from the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary