Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 09:10 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,558,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
By and large, Cary is still soulless. Let’s not kid ourselves here. There have been some small strides and there have been some setbacks. But don’t act like you feel a soul emanating from Cary when you enter its boundaries and drive around because you don’t. Funny, the areas with the most character in Cary area near the lower income communities. And Cary is fine for what it is but it’s EXTREMELY vanilla. And that’s OK.
I'm in total agreement with you. I live in Apex and I love it here for the most part. Like Cary, it's got really good schools, friendly neighbors, tons of extracurricular activities for kids and adults, and it's SAFE. It's a great place to live with a strong economy and well-educated populace. With all that being said, it's extremely bland when you think about it. When traveling around the state and region, even some smaller towns you realize how bland it is to live in western Wake County. I love it for what it is though.

Old 07-24-2023, 09:41 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I'm in total agreement with you. I live in Apex and I love it here for the most part. Like Cary, it's got really good schools, friendly neighbors, tons of extracurricular activities for kids and adults, and it's SAFE. It's a great place to live with a strong economy and well-educated populace. With all that being said, it's extremely bland when you think about it. When traveling around the state and region, even some smaller towns you realize how bland it is to live in western Wake County. I love it for what it is though.
I agree about Apex. Super nice place to live, but bland as hell.

I disagree about Cary though. So much going on here. DT Cary has a walkable district with bars, good food, live music (sometimes) and a lot more to do than Apex.

Fun night: Bond Brothers, Scratch, Crosstown, Bond Eastside for live music, Taipei 101, Viscous Fishes (future), independent movie theater, homeade icecream, great new park (coming), historical sites, great new regional library, trains to and from places, blah blah blah.

If you think Cary is bland, either you are not looking, or you have some very specific requirements (which is not wrong, but might explain why you don't find it more interesting).

Old 07-24-2023, 09:46 AM

43,272 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I agree about Apex. Super nice place to live, but bland as hell.

I disagree about Cary though. So much going on here. DT Cary has a walkable district with bars, good food, live music (sometimes) and a lot more to do than Apex.

Fun night: Bond Brothers, Scratch, Crosstown, Bond Eastside for live music, Taipei 101, Viscous Fishes (future), independent movie theater, homeade icecream, great new park (coming), historical sites, great new regional library, trains to and from places, blah blah blah.

If you think Cary is bland, either you are not looking, or you have some very specific requirements (which is not wrong, but might explain why you don't find it more interesting).

"...driving around..." is not exploring.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:56 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,900,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Honestly, I’d prefer to live in Apex and “play in vanilla” in Cary if I didn’t want to travel too far.

Apex doesn’t feel as suffocatingly vanilla as Cary does. Too much time in Cary can kinda induce a “suburban malaise.” I guess because Apex is smaller. A tad more homey feel. And I like the “downtown.” And Apex’s festivals punch waaaay above its weight class. Apex plays host tos some of my favorite festivals in all of Wake County.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:23 AM

316 posts, read 180,878 times
For all those complaining about Cary being vanilla.

Vanilla is the most popular flavor in the world, not to mention natural vanilla is also one of the most expensive spices.

You may prefer Rocky Road, but fact is, the majority love vanilla and can't get enough of it.

Old 07-25-2023, 12:01 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,163,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
For all those complaining about Cary being vanilla.

Vanilla is the most popular flavor in the world, not to mention natural vanilla is also one of the most expensive spices.

You may prefer Rocky Road, but fact is, the majority love vanilla and can't get enough of it.
I know that I prefer vanilla, and i'm not talking about ice cream.

Old 07-25-2023, 03:27 PM

52 posts, read 41,291 times
No place is perfect but Cary is a tremendous place to live, raise a family, retire, work, whatever. The proof is in pretty much any objective measure you want to look at. These contrarian online warriors looking for "less vanilla" crack me up thinking they aren't the outliers. Even better when they try to talk down on what "character" or "dynamic" or "innovative" or "educated" or "suburbia malaise" (good lord) mean.

Old 07-25-2023, 04:41 PM

43,272 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina623728 View Post
No place is perfect but Cary is a tremendous place to live, raise a family, retire, work, whatever. The proof is in pretty much any objective measure you want to look at. These contrarian online warriors looking for "less vanilla" crack me up thinking they aren't the outliers. Even better when they try to talk down on what "character" or "dynamic" or "innovative" or "educated" or "suburbia malaise" (good lord) mean.
You missed the essential banality of lack of "soul," whatever that supposed to mean.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:10 PM

52 posts, read 41,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You missed the essential banality of lack of "soul," whatever that supposed to mean.

Old 07-26-2023, 09:10 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,987,100 times
It's just weird to have non-Cary residents describe the town I live in as something completely different from what I experience living in it every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary