Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 09:41 AM

52 posts, read 42,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
It's just weird to have non-Cary residents describe the town I live in as something completely different from what I experience living in it every day.
Haha no kidding. It is like reality doesn't matter anymore.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:14 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,170,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Historically, when the Triangle has been mentioned, the three municipalities verbalized are "Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill."

Chapel Hill even precedes Cary in the name of this sub forum!

It has been that way in area marketing, in local news promotions and other published media. But a recent post in the Triad forum sparked a thought... is Chapel Hill an afterthought now as the Triangle's "third city" considering Cary's ascent and massive influence on the Triangle from a socioeconomic perspective?

Is Cary now the Triangle's "Third City?"

Here's the recent post from which this thread spins off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
... Eventually [Mebane] going to become an attractive place to live as Cary which has had explosive growth. Cary has really become the Triangle's "third city"

If you recall this entire thread was started based on an off the wall comment in the Triad thread by someone who is even more delusional.

Seems to me that some people like to bash Triangle cities for no apparent good reason. It's not even clear what the purpose is with this thread. Debating some people is just not worth it. You can't apply logic to stupidity and come up with greater logic.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 07-26-2023 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-26-2023, 12:40 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,312,015 times
Quote:
It's just weird to have non-Cary residents describe the town I live in as something completely different from what I experience living in it every day.
Yeah. It’s a trip.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:10 PM

5,907 posts, read 6,988,976 times
Quote:
Many of the comments have to do with how Cary has evolved over the years. When I moved there in the early 80s, it truly was a Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. IBM (and others) were rapidly growing and bringing down many folks from NY/NorthEast. Due to things like the Metal Red Roof in Lochmere, it started getting a reputation of "any color, as long as it is beige". Cary has evolved, but some things don't die easily.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:17 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,072,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You missed the essential banality of lack of "soul," whatever that supposed to mean.
Which is exactly why Cary is what it is. If you can't recognize it, what better place?

Old 07-26-2023, 02:50 PM

281 posts, read 188,395 times
the dtraleigh community website/forum has a lot of disdain for Cary, and there are probably users here from that community, too. Personally I like that Cary is zoned and planned so strictly that it's appearances are so pleasing and clean. Having lived in states to the north, where you have a jumble of buildings all smashed together like a 7-11 next to a church next to a fastfood place next to a funeral parlor next to a thrift store next to a tattoo place....all that stuff might seem like an "activated street" but the chaos LOOKS like cr@p. I'll take controlled/planned/manicured Cary 1000 times out of 1000 compared to "organic growth" in other cities like Durham and Raleigh.
I honestly think there's some resentment and a tad bit of jealousy from those who post all the negative comments.

Old 07-26-2023, 03:52 PM

381 posts, read 210,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
If you recall this entire thread was started based on an off the wall comment in the Triad thread by someone who is even more delusional. Seems to me that some people like to bash Triangle cities for no apparent good reason. It's not even clear what the purpose is with this thread. Debating some people is just not worth it. You can't apply logic to stupidity and come up with greater logic.
He also said the following:

"I think Mebane could quickly become a Cary over the next decades."

Old 07-26-2023, 04:26 PM

857 posts, read 424,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
Cary is not poised to overtake Durham in population! Durham has approximately a 110,000 population lead on Cary and is growing fast enough that it will most likely overtake Greensboro as third largest city in the state by the end of this decade. Cary will never be considered the second city in the Triangle. Durham has so much more to offer than Cary. Two universities, a vibrant downtown core, Durham Bulls, DPAC and much more urban infrastructure. Cary just seems like a very large town with with some good entertainment from time to time. But, it's still just a suburb community of Raleigh.
This is true enough. New Yorkers and Bostonians however love their affluent suburbs such as Cary. Boston for example is a great city in its own right, but it's vast sea of surrounding middle and upper class suburbs truly set it apart. In my opinion, for Yankees, Cary is a much better substitute for our suburbs than Raleigh is for our cities.

Old 07-26-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
He also said the following:

"I think Mebane could quickly become a Cary over the next decades."
LOL. I'm not even sure how to respond to that.

Old 07-26-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
This is true enough. New Yorkers and Bostonians however love their affluent suburbs such as Cary. Boston for example is a great city in its own right, but it's vast sea of surrounding middle and upper class suburbs truly set it apart. In my opinion, for Yankees, Cary is a much better substitute for our suburbs than Raleigh is for our cities.
These city comparisons have gotten downright ridiculous. This is not the Triad forum.

For what it's worth, I was just up in Boston and traveled the North Shore, South Shore and drove all the way out to the far end of the Cape.

Boston is one of my very favorite cities, primarily because of it's vastness of suburban integration with the city of Boston, but you can't compare Boston nor it's suburbs to anything in the south. Boston was constructed and rose to affluence and prominence at a different time in history, while most of the south was still trying to figure out how to get out of its own way.

As most have said in this thread, Cary, Durham, and Raleigh have their on characteristics that make people choose between them based on their own preferences. They all have their pluses and minuses.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 07-26-2023 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary