Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 05:46 PM

129 posts, read 682,706 times

Advertisements

I want something to add some color to the front yard. I already have
some shrubs in one bed and need another kind of plant to go in the
other bed (the right of the walkway that is empty in the picture).

I also need some colorful plants to add to the front of the big bed in
between the shrubs (on the left of the walkway).

Any recommendations? Need something that doesnt require a green
thumb, adds some pop to the front yard, and is kid friendly (ie no
thorns, etc).

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Attn: Landscape gurus.  What plants should I get to complete my front yard?-frontyard.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 17,845 times
Lantana is very colorful or petunias would look nice.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:02 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vthok View Post

thorns, etc).

Thanks.
While I'm not a landscaping guru, maybe add if your front yard gets morning sun or afternoon sun. For some plants that does make a difference. Also it looks like you don't have much shade... is that a correct assumption?

Old 05-31-2008, 07:22 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
How about something that adds a little height and has fragrance? On the space to right of sidewalk (don't know how large that is) maybe add Carolina jasmine. It has white flowers in late Spring (grow it up on a trellis) and then on either side put something else like a variegated gardenia (dwarf) or maybe on either side make this area for annuals (such as red geraniums). It does appear it has sun.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:05 PM

261 posts, read 1,216,488 times
Default What a great porch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthok View Post

thorns, etc).

Thanks.
Really cute house...wonderful curb appeal. I can't really tell, but those shrubs look like they might be some sort of ligustrum. First thing to do is to move those away from your porch. Three reasons....they are lined up in a straight row too close to the porch, they will get too large....they have a wonderfully fragrant bloom that draws bees like crazy. Move those to the back yard or along one of the back yard side property lines. They will afford you a nice backdrop and eventually offer some privacy.

Rule one - no shrubs in a straight line in front of the house

Come out from the porch about 5 feet. Starting at the left front corner of your porch, angle the bed gradually toward the curve in the sidewalk. You should end up with a graceful, gradually curved bed instead of a narrow start line.

There are lots of choices, but you might like a Japanese Maple at the left corner of the porch. Or, plant a Knockout rose there. These are miracle plants. The red ones, and dark pink varieties get a nice height and width and would be beautiful at the corner of your porch. They really are a knockout! Mine started blooming in March and haven't let up yet. And they are fabulously easy to grow, unlike other roses I've tried.

Next add low growing shrubbery. None should be planted with in 3' of the porch to allow for growth. I would plant the shrubs more or less in front of the porch pillars, not in between them. You want to preserve your view when sitting on the porch - not block it with shrubs. Or hide that lovelyporch behind shrubs which get too tall.

I don't know your color preferences, but "Pixie" Lorapetulum are a lovely burgundy color, stay around 3' tall at maturity and spread out a bit. Willowleaf "Repens" Cotoneaster is also very attractive - nice green with white "flowers" in the summer.

Frost-proof gardenias are a delight - evergreen, lovely deep green color, and absolutely heavenly scent to the the white blooms. This is what I have in front of my porch. They are blooming like crazy and perfume the air in such a delicate, pleasant way. They don't get too tall for your space (or mine!)

If you like pink blooms - Chinsoy Azaleas are gorgeous. They are evergreen, and mine have been blooming now for about 10 days, with no let up in sight.

Some of the Encore brand azaleas stay small and would be pretty for you. They bloom twice a year! And come in several color choices for the blooms.

Plant the shrubs more or less in front of the porch pillars, with the one at the left side of the bed closest to the porch (the plant trunk or center of the shrub at least 3' away though) and the others gradually get farther from the porch as they follow the curve of the bed. Choose only one type of shrub for the bed. The corner shrub or tree can be different.

Then, in the spaces between the posts, plant varigated liriope. It will stay low, has great color and form, and has wonderful spikey blooms in the summer. Practically no maintainance - just trim the ragged leaves in late winter to allow for the new spring growth and you're done with it for another year! Resist the urge to plant this in a start line along the front edge of the bed. Plant them in groups of three or five, between the porch pillars, in a pattern that pleases you. If it is shady enough, some of the Hosta varieties would be gorgeous planted there instead of liriope.

Don't feel like you have to cover up every inch of the bed with plant material. The plants will be so small the first year they will look a bit funny. By year three you will be surprised at how much they fill up the bed. Leave a bit of space in the widest portion of the bed, closest to the sidewalk, for some perennials or annuals.

That empty bed on the other side of your walk, by the house, can be fun. How about a trellis against the wall with evergreen clematis or carolina jessamine? Or use otto luyken laurel there. Theres so many possibilities.

The choices are unlimited. You've got a not so big bed to work with so it won't cost you an arm and a leg to make it gorgeous.

Apologies for the lengthy response! Gardening is my favorite hobby! There are sooooo many fabulous plants that would work well for you.

If you decide just to add some color, lantanas are nice. Use Ms. Huff or the other one, Coronation Gold I believe its called. They are more hardy than the others, but can get too tall for your space.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:26 PM

355 posts, read 1,502,514 times
How about Geraniums? Rose bush would be nice too if you get plenty of sun. Btw, i'm not
a landscape guru.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:33 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
WOW! HappyNCGirl, can I send you a picture of my front area and get that sort of advice free? You are awesome!!!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:47 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
If those are Japanese ligustrums then they are very invasive in nc. ugh...i hate them

Old 05-31-2008, 08:55 PM

261 posts, read 1,216,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
WOW! HappyNCGirl, can I send you a picture of my front area and get that sort of advice free? You are awesome!!!
Thanks PDXmom! I'm really just a novice, and VTHOK has a really easy space to work with. I've had a great landscape architect, Susan, work with me on my last two homes. She taught me these basics. Simplicity and not overdoing it are her mantra.

I spent the past few months surrounded by books about gardening in the Southeast, visiting nurseries (I love Taylors on New Bern Ave. for shrubs and Campbell nursery for perennials).

I've had to promise my husband that I will NOT ask him to dig another hole for a plant! He says he's going to stage an intervention for me if I don't stay out of the plants stores!

Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,103 times
Default HappyNCGirl Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Me too! Me too! Although for me, I want some ideas for my backyard as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary