Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2008, 06:46 PM
 
11 posts, read 33,556 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Looking to move the the Raleigh area. My DH is an IT manager or can work as hands on in Networking, Administration, etc. I am a little nervous about him finding a job in the area. Does Raleigh provide a good outlook for IT jobs in this area? What are the typical salaries if known and how long do you think it would take for a skilled individual to find employment.

We are considering moving there without a job lined up. Currently, he has a good job where we are and are wondering if we are crazy to give it up in the economy that we are in? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

By the way his official job title is currently IT manager for Engineering with a mid size company that supports a few remote offices and is based in the HQ's in NYC.

Thanks for taking the time to read this... any and all input would be greatly appreciated!!

Cindy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2008, 07:37 PM
 
9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Reputation: 4167
I'd not come without a job since it can take a while to get located.

There are many IT jobs here in private industry and government.

Try a headhunter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2008, 08:57 PM
 
11 posts, read 33,556 times
Reputation: 12
That's the way I feel... but our house is closing in 3 weeks and he's not gotten much response from emailing his resume and in talking with a few headhunters. Sure, he'll get phone calls, but nothing beyond that... I am wondering if it is because our address is in NJ. We WERE all set to close on our home and come down and rent until DH found a job. But, we are second guessing ourselves and are wondering if we should move closer to Manhattan and stay with his current job.

I'd feel so much better if I knew that he has a really great chance to land a good job quickly in the triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2008, 10:28 PM
 
Location: North Raleigh
820 posts, read 2,788,355 times
Reputation: 475
Based on the fact that we're in a recession (whether some believe it or not), I wouldn't move without having a signed contract for work elsewhere. Even the best of breeds are battening down the hatches... not cutting jobs but not keeping the traditional rapid pace of head count increase DOWN in prediction of what the economy would be like.

Oh and the IT salaries are good; not a concern my opinion. I'd be more concerned with finding a job that was the right fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2008, 04:29 AM
 
9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Reputation: 4167
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralJerseyMomof2 View Post
That's the way I feel... but our house is closing in 3 weeks and he's not gotten much response from emailing his resume and in talking with a few headhunters. Sure, he'll get phone calls, but nothing beyond that... I am wondering if it is because our address is in NJ. We WERE all set to close on our home and come down and rent until DH found a job. But, we are second guessing ourselves and are wondering if we should move closer to Manhattan and stay with his current job.

I'd feel so much better if I knew that he has a really great chance to land a good job quickly in the triangle.
Might be a good thing to explore. Manhattan itself is expensive beyond belief. An apt in Stuyvesant Town we left at $550 in 1985 now rents decontrolled for about $4,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2008, 08:44 AM
 
3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Reputation: 3977
The economic downturn doesn't seem to have slowed hiring much in this area. Just had lunch with some former coworkers last week who are now all at different companies. Everyone indicated they were hiring (these are SW jobs, not IT). We were all trying to recruit one another.

I would look at craigslist, dice, monster and linkedin. And I would also consider Charlotte.

You might consider getting a local P.O. Box down here and a local number (cell or vonage voip) to give the appearance of being local and ready to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2008, 11:14 AM
 
Location: North Raleigh
820 posts, read 2,788,355 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
Even the best of breeds are battening down the hatches... not cutting jobs but not keeping the traditional rapid pace of head count increase DOWN in prediction of what the economy would be like.
Omit the "not". Too many pints when I wrote this last night....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2008, 07:03 PM
 
842 posts, read 2,588,457 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralJerseyMomof2 View Post
Looking to move the the Raleigh area. My DH is an IT manager or can work as hands on in Networking, Administration, etc. I am a little nervous about him finding a job in the area. Does Raleigh provide a good outlook for IT jobs in this area? What are the typical salaries if known and how long do you think it would take for a skilled individual to find employment.

We are considering moving there without a job lined up. Currently, he has a good job where we are and are wondering if we are crazy to give it up in the economy that we are in? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

By the way his official job title is currently IT manager for Engineering with a mid size company that supports a few remote offices and is based in the HQ's in NYC.

Thanks for taking the time to read this... any and all input would be greatly appreciated!!

Cindy
CentralJerseyMomof2,

I am a living example of what you are going through, so maybe I can impart my experience onto you.

Firstly, if you know of a friend or family member in NC, ask them if it would be okay to use their address on your resume, I will explain why. Monster, Career Builders, Dice.com etc, apparently sort via either zip code or local address, because it was not until I did that before the NC recruiters started calling me.

Secondly, if you have a few months reserve cash and not currently working, I would say that you should follow your heart and do what makes you and your family happy. I lost my NY job in December, 2007 and after a few months decided that I would move down without a job after interviewing a few times and lost out to the guy that could start in 1-2 weeks and required no relocation expenditure by the company.

I got approved for an apartment in Durham based on my credit score and proof that I could cover the rent without a job. I am scheduled to move this weekend from NY to NC. It was not until one week ago that a company made me an offer and required me to report to work on 6/9/2008; Yes, this could not have come at a better time, but I am sure if they thought that I was not going to be down there within a certain time frame, they would have opted to try someone else. I already made up my mind to do my hunting once I got there, but faith worked in my favor.

The thing is, I tried conventional wisdom which said that I should get a job before moving to NC, but it was not working out that way. When I made the decision to go without a job, I have two daughters, and a wife who is a home maker, so I am and will be the only provider for a while, until my wife completes her nursing career.

TIPS:

1). Have faith and believe in your abilities
2). Surround yourself with people who support and encourage your decision
3). Discuss it with your loved ones and get their feedback
4). Make your decision and decide to stick with it regardless of what negative folks will have to say.
5). The unemployment rate for IT professionals in NC is 2%, so you will get a job
6). Last but certainly not least ….PRAY and BELIEVE.

Good luck friend and all the best to you and your family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2008, 07:36 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
1,381 posts, read 2,104,212 times
Reputation: 2194
We moved from Central Jersey in 2005 with no jobs!!! It did take my husband 3 months to find a job - but I am still glad we mad the move.
My friend's husband works for iContact and they hire quite a bit....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Reputation: 12325
Quote:
We moved from Central Jersey in 2005 with no jobs!!!
The difference is, the economy has really taken a dive since then. Unless you have an extreme risk-taking personality, I can't imagine moving somewhere with no job first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top