Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:37 PM

98 posts, read 511,968 times

Advertisements

Hey PS, I clean the rooms sometimes, and today there were quite a few kittens with a lot of different personalities available. I'm not sure if they will be there by the time they open next (Tuesday) but anybody looking for a kitten, I would encourage you go get your pick quick! However, I still love the adult cats. I have a few favorites in there...so. If you are looking at certain cats and are wondering about their personalities, I do spend a lot of time with them. Don't hesitate to email me about them!

Like I say, older cats are more appreciative about being adopted and thus sometimes you create a stronger bond to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 08:05 PM

624 posts, read 2,108,791 times
Kinda going off in a different direction now but with volunteering with these various organizations - what's the process like? Is it one of those things you can volunteer whenever you have free time, or do they really prefer people who can make a weekly committement?

What types of task do they need the most help with: just playing with the animals and giving them attention, feeding, cleaning, etc. I know it's a pretty board questions but I honestly just not sure what are the "right" questions as of now. Thanks!

And also thanks to all the other information thus far, it's all greatly appreciated.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:32 AM

4 posts, read 10,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Hi all - I'm new to this forum usually post in Charlotte, but I have a friend looking at adopting a cat from Marley's Cat Tales (Marley's Cat Tales: Cat and Dog rescue, adoption and education in Raleigh, Cary, and Durham NC) and was just wondering if anyone has dealt with or adopted a pet from them before.

Specifically my friend is looking to adopt an adult cat - no date of birth given - that is house broken with updated shots and still has all her claws. My friends hesitation comes because the cat has been there for over a year and Marley's Cat Tales only communicate through e-mail. Is this normal?

Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
We adopted our first cat through them. Once you have ben approved, someone will call you, and you can arrange to meet the cat(s) you are interested in. So just the initial contact is via online. They also go to some pet stores in the Cary area. We were interested in a cat online, but fell in love with one they had brought to a store. They knew the cat well and she has been a great additional to our home.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 AM

98 posts, read 511,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Kinda going off in a different direction now but with volunteering with these various organizations - what's the process like? Is it one of those things you can volunteer whenever you have free time, or do they really prefer people who can make a weekly committement?

What types of task do they need the most help with: just playing with the animals and giving them attention, feeding, cleaning, etc. I know it's a pretty board questions but I honestly just not sure what are the "right" questions as of now. Thanks!

And also thanks to all the other information thus far, it's all greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure about the Marley's Cat, but I know at the SPCA its just volunteering whenever I have free time. They do like you to volunteer 25 hours a year once you do the training just because they put in the time to train you, but its not necessary.

They need help with a LOT of different things. Almost anything you can imagine. Most of the time its cleaning and feeding, but at the SPCA you can be a "matchmaker" where you just monitor the people or children in case there are too many, or help them with any questions they might have about a particular animal. This helps you socialize some cats and get to know them. Occasionally, I do CCC which is helping some of the minor-sick cats. Its very rewarding.

The cat volunteering doesn't require any training really, but the dog stuff you need training for handling and how they do basic training for the dogs. I don't do anything with the dogs so I am a little unfamiliar.

I know the major difference between the dogs and cats at the SPCA is that at the cat wing, you can go in and out all of the communal rooms as much as you like. In the dog wing, the rooms are locked so you have to ask a matchmaker to see a dog, and then they take that specific dog and put you in a visiting room.

Other volunteer opportunities include things just like, bunny buddy (there are several rabbits there) administrative assistance, receptionist, event tabling, working at the store during busy times...etc.

Its really rewarding, and I personally love doing it because I get to spend time with a ton of animals I'll never be able to bring home, and help them at the same time! And, you get to meet animal loving people. I work in a field where I don't really talk to anybody but some trees so its nice

Old 06-04-2008, 08:02 AM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times
Just wanted to say I am glad to see a thread discussing the adoption of pets! I appreciate hearing this and knowing some loving pets will get a second chance.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 24,238 times
My wife and I adopted two kittens through Marley's about 9 months ago. They were well taken care of, good foster home and they were good about vet records/shots/vaccinations/etc. We met them at a Petsmart adoption event. I would recommend them.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:39 PM

47 posts, read 167,058 times
I had the good fortune to work with the great folks at Marley's Cat Tales. I found 3 abandoned kittens and was not able to keep them. They took the kittens and had them vet checked and are getting them ready for adoption. They were extremely nice and responded quickly to my emails. They are always looking for foster homes if anyone is interested. They pay all vet bill and cat food and litter costs, you provide a good temporary home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary