Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2023, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,350 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for a new comosite deck, either Trex or TimberTech. I have received several estimates that vary widely. Total square footage about 275 square feet. I am in sticker shock over the quotes. How much did you pay for your composite deck? When did you have it built? More detail is better.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 06:00 AM

179 posts, read 151,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestDurham View Post
I am in the market for a new comosite deck, either Trex or TimberTech. I have received several estimates that vary widely. Total square footage about 275 square feet. I am in sticker shock over the quotes. How much did you pay for your composite deck? When did you have it built? More detail is better.
I'm interested in ballpark figures for this as well, as I was considering same brands. Mind to share what sort of quotes you've received so far?

Old 08-01-2023, 06:47 AM

104 posts, read 64,627 times
For a ground-up, free-standing but secured-to-the-house 12x16 existing deck "repair", here's the breakdown of a project I have underway:
  • demolishing the 90's original deck
  • 6x6 posts, 2x10 surround, and 2x8 joists
  • Trex decking and surround skirt
  • vinyl sheathed 4x4 rail posts, rails, and ballisters
  • vinyl sheathed 4x4 extended posts to secure shade sails
  • shallow steps run for approx. 5-foot vertical deck to ground drop
Little to no maintenance is a goal. The deck is one of three jobs with the same contractor, and I was quoted $9,700 for the deck itself - no funds down or in advance of completion of the job.

Another contractor quoted $14,500 (1/2 down in advance)for a non-composite, treated, all-exposed wood deck - same specs otherwise.

I'll speculate that your location, as well as the contractor's, may affect the pricing and desire to win the job. Perhaps if you're a contractor in an area where the decks are "aging out", why travel far?

Last edited by ncwheeling; 08-01-2023 at 08:16 AM..

Old 08-01-2023, 08:11 AM

208 posts, read 414,722 times
I re-decked our treated wood deck (12x12) with Timbertech and skinned the exposed beams. Total cost was in the ballpark of $3K doing it myself.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,350 times
I received the following quotes:

There does not seem to be any logic to this.
Also, I have had a couple Cary and Raleigh contractor decline to bid because they do not service Durham.

Old 08-01-2023, 01:08 PM

94 posts, read 57,195 times
Don't remember the cost, but I bought Trex from Lowe's and did it myself. Stripped off the old wood boards, pulled the nails out of the joists (which were still in good shape), covered them with joist tape and put down the new boards. I bought a portable table saw for the job, and it was worth its weight in gold.

Old 08-01-2023, 01:19 PM

104 posts, read 64,627 times
In my (current) case, the joists were also in good condition, but they were undersized 2x6 spanning 12 feet. I don't know what's code though (then, or now). All of the rest of the structure was likewise undersized, and there was no cross bracing - so I felt it had to go.

Old 08-05-2023, 07:52 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
We were just quoted $8k to remove the old boards on our 16x16 deck and replace them with composite.

The decision was made a little easier when we discovered that new pressure treated wood would cost $800. I installed the boards myself.

Old 08-13-2023, 04:58 PM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
We just had a 24' x 16', Decorators decking (Sedona color), spot lights on outside corners (for yard), 6x6 posts/beams/roof for grill station with down lighting(grill station not included), very nice black aluminum railing w/ solar light post caps, same material skirt on 3 sides, multiple strategically located GFI outlets, all framing/concrete piers, and permitted/inspected/approved by Johnston County.

Final total... $35,000. Came out great after interviewing 4 different companies. We also had wide ranging quotes, but went with the best background and professional contractor. You'll be glad, because you can go cheaper but get an inferior job you'll be disappointed in.

If interested I can pass info for your own interview and quote.

Old 08-17-2023, 12:54 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestDurham View Post
I received the following quotes:

There does not seem to be any logic to this.
Also, I have had a couple Cary and Raleigh contractor decline to bid because they do not service Durham.
The 45K guy definitely doesn't want the job! Good luck with your search - I'm going to need a 10x10ish deck built myself, to replace a bigger one that rotted in just 10 years. I want composite this time around in case I wind up living here longer than 5 years. Fun stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary