Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 06:09 PM

4,547 posts, read 3,750,269 times

Advertisements

Durham county schools announced first that due to the effects of Tropical storm Idalia, they are closed. Now same with wake County schools. They said they will use a “banked” day and no need to make it up.

Why waste a banked day on this garbage? We have nothing! I understand it’s a large county, but not even southern wake Co will have bad effects.

Closing schools left and right in this state. I can understand southern and coastal counties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 06:16 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,184,368 times
They typically do it because they don’t want kids waiting outside for the bus in this weather.

Old 08-30-2023, 06:19 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
WCPSS closed too.

It is just a matter of being unable to go against the tide.

TRUST when I tell you my kids have gone to school and come home in WAY worse weather than what will happen tomorrow. They're actually saying the worst will be overnight and it will be sunny tomorrow. It's almost as if there's not 24 hour weather forecasting available around the clock.

Old 08-30-2023, 06:29 PM

9 posts, read 5,316 times
It is absolutely ridiculous to close schools tomorrow in central North Carolina. There is no weather-related warning in effect for Wake County. We’re closing schools now for rain??? Unsure who or what committee makes this decision, but they should be chastised and ridiculed for not having any backbone. Give me a break!

Old 08-30-2023, 06:36 PM

51 posts, read 42,692 times
People should complain on Twitter and see if this can be rescinded. At this rate school be canceled everyday there is a level 1 storm risk. Lightning can strike at anytime. Gotta be careful...

Old 08-30-2023, 06:37 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Hurricanes do what they want to do. There is a chance schools won't have electricity tomorrow. Sounds like good management to me.

Old 08-30-2023, 06:48 PM

51 posts, read 42,692 times
The maximum sustained winds are around 35 mph forecasted for tomorrow in all of wake county. In what world do we live in where winds like this would cause massive power outages?

Twitter messages not possible to wcpss. Only way I can think of is contacting wcpss board and or superintendents:

https://assistive.eboardsolutions.co...px?S=920&TID=1
https://www.wcpss.net//site/Default.aspx?PageID=266

Old 08-30-2023, 06:50 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Hurricanes do what they want to do. There is a chance schools won't have electricity tomorrow. Sounds like good management to me.
There's no more chance of that tomorrow than any other rainy day. And there's no need to close 200 schools on the off chance a couple have no power. My kids have been sent home for no heat and no power, they didn't close every other school in the district because of it.

Old 08-30-2023, 06:51 PM

9 posts, read 5,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Current forecast for Raleigh for tomorrow:
Thursday
Chance of rain, mainly before 8am. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 76. Breezy, with a north wind 13 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

There’s also a chance an earthquake will occur and a school may fall into the abyss, but… seems like a fairly benign forecast that one might expect to see on any number of days during the spring or fall…

Old 08-31-2023, 07:20 AM

4,547 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
They typically do it because they don’t want kids waiting outside for the bus in this weather.

You mean weather like calm winds, dry roads, birds chirping and I already hear lawn mowers this morning? This was all forecasted yesterday evening and last night and is not a surprise.

It's an absolute disappointment the school systems admins can't reliably make a decision like this, when all the information pointed reliably to what this morning would look like. Not everyone works from home, not everyone is a stay at home parent, not everyone can take sick/vacation days and/or getting a cut in pay depending on the job and company.

That's why you have so many angry parents this time around - cancelling school for what seems like nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary