Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 07:00 PM

467 posts, read 1,046,310 times

Advertisements

I’m on track to retire in less than a year and am strongly considering relocating to Raleigh. My family is in the Raleigh area and while I have visited them, I’ve never really had the opportunity to explore different parts of the city. It’s a large metro and I’m hoping for some pointers on which areas to consider.

I will be 50 next year, single, and am very active. I am hoping to find a vibrant area close to running trails and parks, coffee houses and breweries, and has a strong community feel. While I would imagine downtown Raleigh probably has this in spades, I also wouldn’t be opposed to an alternative that is a bit smaller and easier to live with, day to day. I really wouldn’t be interested in a bedroom community full of subdivisions with no distinct downtown whose main demographic is families. I will not be commuting to a job at RTP so that isn’t a factor.

I’d like to stay below $600K and buy a home in an established neighborhood, even if it’s a smaller one. I like the look and feel of older historic neighborhoods that have character and are close to the things I mentioned.

In your opinion, which areas should I focus in on? Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 07:23 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,509,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
I’m on track to retire in less than a year and am strongly considering relocating to Raleigh. My family is in the Raleigh area and while I have visited them, I’ve never really had the opportunity to explore different parts of the city. It’s a large metro and I’m hoping for some pointers on which areas to consider.

I will be 50 next year, single, and am very active. I am hoping to find a vibrant area close to running trails and parks, coffee houses and breweries, and has a strong community feel. While I would imagine downtown Raleigh probably has this in spades, I also wouldn’t be opposed to an alternative that is a bit smaller and easier to live with, day to day. I really wouldn’t be interested in a bedroom community full of subdivisions with no distinct downtown whose main demographic is families. I will not be commuting to a job at RTP so that isn’t a factor.

I’d like to stay below $600K and buy a home in an established neighborhood, even if it’s a smaller one. I like the look and feel of older historic neighborhoods that have character and are close to the things I mentioned.

Assuming you are open to the whole Triangle area and not just the city of Raleigh itself..

I'd say in-town Chapel Hill or Trinity Park/Watts-Hillandale/Old West Durham areas would be a great fit for what you are looking for and have decent options in your budget. They would be on the smaller side for detached homes; but many smaller older/homes with character and walkable to amenities as you've described. Some newer lofty-townhome options could also be found; especially near downtown Durham.

These are both areas with a high concentration of academia-oriented people (NOT just college students to be clear)

Downtown Cary is still coming along as well; has a little more of the suburban feel but definitely developing as more of a "satellite city". You're also more centrally located to the Triangle as a whole in downtown Cary.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:15 PM

70 posts, read 52,846 times
What never gets discussed is the divide that is causing the increase in crime. Check the local news here as it is not the place you may be reading about.

Old 09-05-2023, 06:28 AM

75 posts, read 226,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northport70 View Post
What never gets discussed is the divide that is causing the increase in crime. Check the local news here as it is not the place you may be reading about.
Is the “divide” a place, and why does it not get discussed?

Old 09-05-2023, 07:13 AM

567 posts, read 958,498 times
Let's stay on topic everyone and provide suggestions for the original poster based on what they asked.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:39 AM

19,734 posts, read 20,284,815 times
Quote:

I'd focus somewhere inside the belt line near downtown Raleigh. The east and south sides of Raleigh are bit shady. The further you get away from downtown, the more suburban and family oriented it gets, and the more driving you'll be forced to do. Raleigh is fantastic for the greenways and breweries, and you can easily meet alot of people that way. 50 is still pretty young here, for the active singles.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:58 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,581,500 times
What you really need to do is contact a Realtor who can help you sort it all out. There are many areas that match your criteria and having a professional help you sort it out will make the process way less stressful.

Old 09-05-2023, 10:17 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,192,238 times
Quote:

I think that you will have a challenge finding a SFH in your price range in a neighborhood with the characteristics that you seek, but you probably have lots of options with condos. Given how much the Triangle has grown in the last 3 decades, the amount of old and historic is limited and treasured.
I'd look in the area north of NC State and south of Wade Avenue in the vicinity of the Village District, or on the SW side of downtown near DiX Park. Caraleigh, to the immediate east of Dix Park might be another place to look.
You might want to explore the small historic downtowns of some of the surrounding suburbs. They will likely be cheaper, but these downtowns are really quite small and more young family oriented than Raleigh.
That said, I would start looking now if you are serious. The market is tight here, supply is low, and prices seem to keep climbing. FWIW, I am in the same life stage as you and I am on the west side of downtown.

Old 09-05-2023, 11:52 AM

43,343 posts, read 77,209,038 times
Lots of good input.
It might be a good move to rent for 6 months to a year and get a good look at several areas.

Old 09-05-2023, 01:33 PM

369 posts, read 230,280 times
How about somewhere in downtown Hillsborough or Pittsboro? Hillsborough has some really nice older homes and a small but walkable downtown with several good restaurants, a co-op grocery store, and the Eno Riverwalk. Pittsboro also has a walkable downtown and is quickly growing, but there might be something close to the center of town. Haw River and White Pines Nature preserve are a short drive away for recreation - less than 10 minutes. Mebane also has a nice downtown if you venture away from I-40. I don't think the suburbs of Wake County have what OP is looking for in terms of neighborhood feel. Raleigh's older and historic homes are "ITB" or inside the beltline (I-440) and too expensive for the budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary