Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family looking for information on Apex area of North Carolina, close to shopping, not too quite or rural, close to parks, application process for year round school

Old 06-01-2008, 10:01 PM

9 posts, read 18,339 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of how the area is below Salem/Old US-1, West of HW55 and north of HW1 in Apex. We're looking at town homes and just wondering if anybody has an idea of how the growth is in that area.

We are a family with 6 year old girls and love being near shopping, restaurants and near parks.
We really don't want a rural or too quite of a place.

I think we would come under Apex Elementary, how does the reassignment work, for this school. Also the Year round school for that area is Turner Creek. How does it work about getting into a Year-Round school? And do we have to keep re-applying every year?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 11:15 PM

98 posts, read 510,849 times
Hi! I never stop in Apex except to get gas, but I drive through there all the time to get to Asheboro. There is a "downtown" area and a large shopping area that is very busy all of the time. I wouldn't consider it rural, but a little less than suburban.

I don't have kids of my own or any other detailed info. Sorry, but good luck in your search!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:45 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,539,770 times
Apex is definitley not "less than suburban"...it passed that milestone years ago. It's full blown suburban. It does still have some small town charm that many other Wake County towns lack IMO...and downtown is very nice and definitley gives you the feel of a smal town. It is very much a 'suburb" now though...for better or worse. When I first moved to NC in 1994 we thought Apex was "too country" and decided on a house in Dominion Park in N. Raleigh instead of one we liked better in Waterford Green in Apex. In 2005 we were VERY happy to move to the now full-blown suburban town Apex from south Raleigh (after having also lived in Cary...we basically took a tour-de- western wake county for 10 years) because it was where our kids schools were and had a nicer community/somewhat smalltown feel...but after a while realized that the growth that had made Apex less "country" for us and more suburban like we thought we wanted....was now getting out of hand. Schools got reassigned, roads got bussier and bussier (highway 55 was the worst) and the quality of life there not as great anymore. Kind of a catch 22. Apex was our favorite area of Wake County after living there almost 13 years (moved back to NY in August 2007) so I can't say it's a bad place to live at all. Just know that it is changing and there are many people who aren't happy about that.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:32 PM

76 posts, read 392,970 times
Quote:
Just know that it is changing and there are many people who aren't happy about that.
I am one of them.
Apex is exploding. The Beaver Creek shopping area will be nothing compared to what is suppose to move in. A Super Wal-mart on 64, and where I think you are interested in, that part of Salem/64, is going to turn into a big development called Villages of Apex. It will drastically change the town and not for the better. There are many houses for sale on Salem because of this development. It will have a park, houses, condo/apartments, shopping, if you are into the kind of manufactured village like atmosphere like Southpoint Mall, maybe you will like it.
Apex use to have it all: a rural country area, a historic downtown district, and a busy shopping area (on 55 as noted above), the new stuff will just aggravate the existing traffic problems, and I really am worried about the historic district independent shops and how they will hold up.
Again, maybe you will like it...but it will be a work in progress until 2-10 years from now.
I'm moving.

Last edited by pgtrnr; 06-02-2008 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: Forgot some stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary