Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:53 PM

135 posts, read 412,632 times

Advertisements

Whenever I've relocated it seems like I'm just finding out about all the hidden little jewels, cool things to see and do in town when I'm leaving. I don't want to wait until I've wasted a year sitting around wondering what the locals know that I don't I plan on passing my wisdom (to the forum for the town I live in now) before I leave.

for example; historic sites, flea markets, best little out of the way dives, pumpkin patches and u-pick fresh produce, free concerts in the park, best place to buy your christmas tree, festivals and county fairs etc..

I won't be there until end of August but, what's YOUR favorite thing to do/see in the fall and winter in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:11 PM

551 posts, read 2,287,734 times
Football games & tailgating, Halloween on Franklin Street, driving west to see the outstanding fall colors... September beach vacations for half-price of August with better weather . The flea market in September (cooler than summer!), then the State Fair in October. Getting a pumpkin and mums at the farmer's market.... and fall vegetables, of course. And then a few months later, getting a tree and wreath there, too.

I love the start of basketball games in November, going to Winston-Salem in December for the Moravian teas and tours. The North Star show at the Morehead Planetarium. Shopping at Crossroads/Crabtree/Southpoint at 6am the morning after Thanksgiving!!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:06 PM

I'm excited for the state fair and for the fall in general. Thanks for the imput

Old 05-28-2008, 07:09 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
Halloween on Franklin Street
Note that this is NOT an event for the little kids! Franklin Street in Chapel Hill is shut down & the street is flooded with drunken college kids, many of them in really creative costumes. It can be great fun, but it certainly isn't for everyone.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:39 PM

Default thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Note that this is NOT an event for the little kids! Franklin Street in Chapel Hill is shut down & the street is flooded with drunken college kids, many of them in really creative costumes. It can be great fun, but it certainly isn't for everyone.
see, that's the kind of inside information i need. one year, i accidently took my parents and little sisiter (who were visiting) down into new orleans for a festival that turned out to be a 'gay pride' parade. i won't even go into the things we incountered but it was not for the eyes of children. i'm sure all the locals would've known better.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:48 PM

426 posts, read 1,455,848 times
The movies on the lawn during the summer at Southern Village.

The Back Porch music concert series at the American Tobacco warehouse.

Both are kid friendly, but the first one starts at about 9 or so, so it may be too late for the younger ones. I think they both go through Sept., so you should be able to catch them when you're here.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:51 AM

531 posts, read 1,983,004 times
If the kids like being outdoors (and some don't these days), they might enjoy any of the Eno State Parks. We particularly like the one with the swinging bridge, up Pleasant Green Road in Durham. There are swimming holes and turtles and even some small rapids--where you'd need to police the kids pretty closely. Also some very mild "hiking" through the woods--nothing strenuous. If you can catch the place on a weekday, you may just have it to yourselves!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:54 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
OOOH! this sounds fun. i'll have just turned 27 (shudder) for my first halloween down there. i'll pretend i'm still in college. or maybe my costume will be "an adult"

Old 06-01-2008, 11:22 PM

98 posts, read 511,968 times
First Friday in Raleigh is really fun! I don't know that kids will enjoy it too much, but all of the local art galleries on Glenwood and in Moore Square/City Market open up their doors and its a GREAT way to meet people, drink some good wine, look at some art, and just kind of mingle. (It occurs during the first friday of each month)

I live near the state fairgrounds where the flea market is open every Saturday and Sunday. Its pretty big! There is ALWAYS something going on there.

The farmer's market is interesting!

The whole bar thing kind of depends on where you live, really, and what kind of place you prefer. Cameron Village is a fun area to go to for shopping.

Sometimes in North Raleigh at the outdoor mall...can't remember what its called, they have Beach music and bands and they teach you the Carolina Shag (fun for kids and adults of all ages!)

Lilly's Pizza is probably one of the best dive pizza joints here. They are award winning and use all organic-ingredients. The neighborhood is fun to walk through also!

If you like to drink, (and can get tickets early enough) there is the semi-annual World Beer Festival. I think the tix are 40 bucks, live music all day, and you get to taste beers of the world!

I would check out also what the universities have going on. Sometimes they will have free concerts and events happening.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:43 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somuchbetter View Post

Sometimes in North Raleigh at the outdoor mall...can't remember what its called, they have Beach music and bands and they teach you the Carolina Shag (fun for kids and adults of all ages!)

North Hills....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary