Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 10:49 PM

98 posts, read 511,968 times

Advertisements

Has anybody lived at Cameron Court Apts or know of anybody that has???

I'm debating living there, and a lot of the utilities are included in their rent, (even AC!) but I'm just nervous about the safety of the area. I've been to ratings websites and they were talking about bums sleeping in the stairwells and thier cars being broken into. Are there any truths to this? I would hate to come home at night with groceries and having to step over bums to get to my apartment.

Despite that, I like the charm of the apartments and the location (even though I'm not sure exactly what businesses are nearby , as in, walking distance). I heard the management changed so I'm not too worried about it.

Other than that, I'm looking to living near Cameron Village (near Raleigh Apts, but not in them). Is that typically an unsafe area?

I'm living alone, and I go to NC State. I'm hoping to sign the lease in the next few days with either apt I'm looking at.

ANY info would help!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 11:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
I live nearby on Boylan Ave. and think that you will be just fine. I've been to Cameron Court and other apts nearby for evening parties, etc. and have neither come across a "bum" in my path nor have I ever felt unsafe.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:33 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Contact Raleigh PD crime prevention for a call history on the block in question.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:59 AM

104 posts, read 377,229 times
I lived in Cameron Ct for 2 yrs 2002-2004 and loved it. At the time a 1 BR was $500 and 2 yrs ago I looked into it and the rent went up to about $800! There were no improvements to the old apts (they are 60 yrs old). The drawback is that the AC is a window unit and the bedroom never gets cool enough PLUS the kitchen is tiny--no dishwasher and VERY limited counter space. The location was wonderful and miss the neighborhood. I never had any break ins but there were times I felt very nervous. I was glad to have a dog with me because he made weirdos nervous.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:04 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
This area is pretty safe (I live around the corner from Cameron Court). You just need to employ common sense safety precautions that you would anywhere - don't walk around alone in the middle of the night, don't leave valuables visible in your car, etc. It is not any less safe than most areas.

That said, I have heard that Boylan Apartments were completely renovated last year, so they might be another option to look at. They are located right next to Cameron Court.

It's a great area to live in, with many things within walking distance.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:27 AM

The ones I am looking at have central AC that is actually paid for apparently so no worries about that. The dishwasher thing is going be tough for me (i'm spoiled, i know.).

I have looked at Boylan Apartments but they're almost 800 bucks for a 540 sq ft 1 br! And for a student, that's a little much But they did look about 8 times nicer. Oh well. i've never lived in a downtown location so maybe I'll try it out.

Thanks all for the info!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somuchbetter View Post
The ones I am looking at have central AC that is actually paid for apparently so no worries about that. The dishwasher thing is going be tough for me (i'm spoiled, i know.).

I have looked at Boylan Apartments but they're almost 800 bucks for a 540 sq ft 1 br! And for a student, that's a little much But they did look about 8 times nicer. Oh well. i've never lived in a downtown location so maybe I'll try it out.

Thanks all for the info!
When I was in college, and after I graduated, I lived in places that didn't have central A/C (in FL) or a dishwasher. I got used to doing the dishes even though I grew up with a dishwasher, it's no biggie. If it is just going to be you on your own, doing the dishes won't be as much of a problem as you think it will be, especially if you don't let the sink pile up with dirty ones. Get a dish drying rack and you'll be all set, won't even have to dry 'em! After doing that for so long, I now actually dread having to empty out a full clean dishwasher! It's much easier to deal with smaller batches of clean dishes when you have to hand wash.

I don't know what you would be paying at Cameron Court, but if they are definitely including the cost of running A/C, it sounds like a pretty good deal!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:34 AM

Thanks miamiblue! That is definitely a good way to look at it Plus I'm always kind of paranoid about how clean dishwashers actually get things clean so at least this way I can be sure!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:34 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
I think the trade-off of a dishwasher for a NC State student is a good one. When one thinks of the price of gas and the horror of parking on campus, living close to the university where you can walk or ride a bus is a good call. Plus, just about everything a younger adult would want to do in Raleigh is so convenient to this location. I think this is a good call.
Like Miamiblue, I too lived in a non-AC apt during and following college (at NC State). I never regretted that decision to stay close to the university. At least today, most apts do have window units.
Good luck!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:34 PM

Ok I was mistaken about the AC being paid for, but it IS central AC in Cameron Court.

I do love the location, and I will certainly the trade in-unit amenities for the charm and location of the complex. I just worry about being a petite girl being alone trying to get to my front door! I'm not as worried about my car being broken into, that can always be fixed and paid for...

I got hollered at when I visited the leasing office. I guess thats a good thing though, right?

Thank you all for your help and info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary