Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 07:51 AM

43,372 posts, read 77,281,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
300???? Even Cardinal Gibbons graduates almost 400. My son was one of 735 at Green Hope. My daughter's class was "only" 500 and that means the school is under-utilized per WCPSS so a whole bunch of people from Apex got reassigned there last year.

Apex Friendship is one of the five largest schools in the state. They're sitting at around 2800+ population right now.
SAS Sez SRMHS is 1362 in 4 grades.
That is the source of the 300+ reference.

Yeah. 700+ is crazed. Again, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2023, 07:58 AM

22,692 posts, read 36,875,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
SAS Sez SRMHS is 1362 in 4 grades.
That is the source of the 300+ reference.

Yeah. 700+ is crazed. Again, IMO.
ADM at SERMHS was 1409 in 22-23 school year. One of the smaller high schools, likely because no one wants to take advantage of their magnet option. I have a friend it was offered to, she said no thanks.

Schools are staffed according to their ADM - smaller population does not mean smaller classes or a better student teacher ratio.

And yes 700 per class is ridiculous. The facilities were not meant to handle that many kids. Ever been to a HS cafe at lunchtime? It's ugly. Even at good schools.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:18 AM

4,181 posts, read 4,897,227 times
Quote:
ADM at SERMHS was 1409 in 22-23 school year. One of the smaller high schools, likely because no one wants to take advantage of their magnet option. I have a friend it was offered to, she said no thanks.

Schools are staffed according to their ADM - smaller population does not mean smaller classes or a better student teacher ratio.

And yes 700 per class is ridiculous. The facilities were not meant to handle that many kids. Ever been to a HS cafe at lunchtime? It's ugly. Even at good schools.
When we first attended the SRMHS open house my son BEGGED to attend the school because of the specialized magnet programs they offered, and we live in North Raleigh, so this was no small commitment regarding transportation logistics. I had never seen him so excited about attending school. My understanding is that some of the magnet programs were discontinued after he graduated but it was a great school while he was there, not to mention the diversity of friendships he made that remain active to this day.

In regards to your question about staffing metal detectors, they would just have to hire people or contract it out to a security company. Given the large percentage of our tax dollars that are allocated to school funding plus added government funding they certainly have the means to implement better security measures, but for whatever reasons they CHOOSE not to...and that applies county wide and not just at SRMHS.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
When we first attended the SRMHS open house my son BEGGED to attend the school because of the specialized magnet programs they offered, and we live in North Raleigh, so this was no small commitment regarding transportation logistics. I had never seen him so excited about attending school. My understanding is that some of the magnet programs were discontinued after he graduated but it was a great school while he was there, not to mention the diversity of friendships he made that remain active to this day.

In regards to your question about staffing metal detectors, they would just have to hire people or contract it out to a security company. Given the large percentage of our tax dollars that are allocated to school funding plus added government funding they certainly have the means to implement better security measures, but for whatever reasons they CHOOSE not to...and that applies county wide and not just at SRMHS.
They don't even have textbooks and the teachers have to buy copy paper when their "allotment" runs out....and guess how fast it runs out when there are .... NO TEXTBOOKS? Did you know they're also limited as to how many copies they can make each quarter? When I was an IA our grade level ran out of copier access a week before the end of first quarter. That was fun. Meanwhile a teacher with 20 years experience maxes out their salary. But yeah, there's plenty of money to spend on security.That should absolutely be where our educational dollars get spent.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:39 AM

829 posts, read 454,543 times
I will almost always lay it on the parents. Some are stuck in bad schools and do try their best, but that is just a small minority.

When I was young, when adults took their responsibility of being parents seriously, the biggest fear of getting in trouble in school was what your parents would do when you got home. Now it's more often than not the teachers fault.

There are bad teachers... there are bad in every profession... but they should never be responsible for anything more than teaching school related subjects. Yet they often get blamed for not doing what the parents are supposed to... raise their kids.

Old 11-28-2023, 09:54 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,815,772 times
I think my kids' high school is the smallest public high school in the area - Carrboro High School. My daughter graduated with 175 kids last year. There are fewer than 800 total. There are still problems, of course. I don't know if there are fewer because it is a small school. Possibly. One big issue is still staff salary. Teachers aren't paid enough to deal with the cr*p that they have to deal with. There is a lot of staff turnover. Having a strong, consistent staff can lead to better outcomes than having a revolving door of teachers and administrators that have to learn the school rules and culture each year. And of course, kids are not as respectful these days as in the past.

Old 11-28-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
I will almost always lay it on the parents. Some are stuck in bad schools and do try their best, but that is just a small minority.

When I was young, when adults took their responsibility of being parents seriously, the biggest fear of getting in trouble in school was what your parents would do when you got home. Now it's more often than not the teachers fault.

There are bad teachers... there are bad in every profession... but they should never be responsible for anything more than teaching school related subjects. Yet they often get blamed for not doing what the parents are supposed to... raise their kids.
My sister is a teacher here. 100%. The emails she gets from parents are unreal. UNREAL.

ANd if you work for a spinless admin, you're sunk.

And the stats they showed about the number of weapons brought to school as a ratio of student population are a JOKE. Admin just doesn't report it. THere's really no point. My daughter had a classmate who brought a knife to school in middle school and also pushed a kid down the stairs. When they were in HS she used to tell me "if there's a shooting at Green Hope, Emma did it". As my sister said today - the kids all know. THe teachers all know. THe admins all know. They know who is trouble and they do nothing about it.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:35 AM

11,232 posts, read 8,328,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I think social media plays a huge role in what happens on school grounds. Bullying or arguments begin with social media posts and then escalate higher into in person confrontations or fights on school grounds. Those kind of situations are harder to detect early and deescalate before physical assaults take place.
You really think a paddle is going to deter someone with a knife or a gun? I don't. The issue is absolutely (IMO) the parenting. In my day, the schools had paddles, but they didn't need them, because every kid feared what would happen when they got home much more than what the Principle might do. Not to mention all the same people who are clamoring for more discipline are the same people who would sue the hell out of the school if THEIR kid got paddled.

And these idiots who want to address school violence by arming the teachers. Don't even get me started on why arming people who are not trained, and probably don't have the right mindset to use guns is a bad idea that will only lead to more violence.

IMO, one thing they can do is have even less tolerance. If you get in a fight, you're out. (Not sure how to deal with people who are defending themselves, that's a whole other issue.)

BTW, my graduating class (East Meck, Charlotte, 1986) had over 2,000 graduating. A few fights here and there, but nobody got shot or stabbed. I think the first violent injuries (Stabbings and shootings) started happening in CMS in 1987, and have mostly have continued since, or at least for several years thereafter.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:36 AM

4,181 posts, read 4,897,227 times
Quote:
They don't even have textbooks and the teachers have to buy copy paper when their "allotment" runs out....and guess how fast it runs out when there are .... NO TEXTBOOKS? Did you know they're also limited as to how many copies they can make each quarter? When I was an IA our grade level ran out of copier access a week before the end of first quarter. That was fun. Meanwhile a teacher with 20 years experience maxes out their salary. But yeah, there's plenty of money to spend on security.That should absolutely be where our educational dollars get spent.
These are all administration failures. No matter how much tax dollars we throw at the schools it's never enough to fill the big black bottomless hole. Most kids have or are assigned computers these days so textbooks are obsolete when they could be made available to students in PDF file form or online. When my son was in school his teachers would often send home donation requests for supplies and many parents did step up to provide them, but I also know teachers spend their own money as well and that needs to be fixed or have a reimbursement process. Unfortunately there is no magic wand that will fix our broken school system and all of it's problems.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:55 AM

1,120 posts, read 1,214,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
What do you mean "soft" on discipline? NC still protects corporal punishment in schools.

That school faces a number of challenges, and has for several years: https://ncreports.ondemand.sas.com/s...ar=2023&lng=en
AFAIK, there are 0 public schools that still use corporal punishment in NC, whereas when I was in school, many schools, including mine, still did it. So your example is an example of softer discipline, whether you agree with it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary