Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 PM

15 posts, read 44,737 times

Advertisements

I'm helping a friend do some research on the 'Perry Building'. Sitting on the corner of Mangum and Geer Sts., the Perry was built in the late 1920's, was apparently the headquarters for the United Way at some point, then [in the 1980's ?] converted into multi-unit condos.

My friend has been able to get some bits of information from the current owner of the building and Gary from the Endangered Durham blog, but if anyone has any more information I can pass along- pictures, history, any lead on who built it (or how to find blueprints)- I'd really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,836 times
Default Perry Building

Stacy,

I just happened upon your post through a google search. We bought a unit in that building two years ago and will be moving there full time in August. It was once home to the Salvation Army, not the United Way. I was told that Piedmont Airlines did an article about it (date unknown) but I have not read it. It was built in 1926 and I've heard differing stories about its original purpose (one version has it as a single family home with a look to the future to subdivide into the 4 current units. The other story was that it was built as a luxury apartment building with the 4 separate units.) It was reclaimed by the city in 1985 from the Salvation Army and, through a lottery, 4 buyers were selected. Purchase price for each unit was 10,000 plus a whole lot of sweat equity. I'd like to know what more you've found out about it. We'd planned to do further research once we move there from here (Cleveland, Ohio.)

Hope this helps,

Wendy

Old 06-20-2008, 08:52 AM

15 posts, read 44,737 times
Default More on the Perry

Wendy, thanks for your reply!

I mentioned you to my friend (Jonathan) and it seems both you and he are on the same page when it comes to the history of the building- with one exception. From his correspondence with Gary from the 'Endangered Durham' blog, he learned that the Perry Building may have been split into units, but that there was a large single family home on that spot- prior to the Perry's construction- evidenced by Sanborn maps of that section of Old North Durham circa 1913.

I've passed on your tip about the Piedmont Airlines article- I'm sure if it exists, he'll find it. By the way, Jonathan is actually planning to be in Durham in the second week of August. If I can put you two in contact, perhaps you'd cross paths this summer! Since he actually lived at 901, I'm sure he'd find it a real treat to see the house again!

Thanks for the information and I look forward to hearing from you again,

Stacy

Old 06-24-2008, 05:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,836 times
Default perry building

Stacy,

We will be in Durham around the 17th of August so we might miss your friend's visit this time but tell him that he can contact us though this list. According to the person who sold us the unit, the building was originally a single family home built looking ahead to the future when it would be divided up among the grown children into separate units. Another owner told us a different story -- that it had been built as a luxury apartment building with 4 separate units from the beginning. Gary's version makes more sense but I can ask the others what else they know and see if anyone still there has a copy of the Piedmont article. If Jonathan finds it, would you ask him to scan and post it to this list?

Thanks for your reply; how coincidental that I just happened to do a google search a week after your message. I look forward to delving more deeply into the history of the building.

Best wishes,

Wendy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary