Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 06:46 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times

Advertisements

All of the feeder roads heading into 540/440 fail to meet the current volumes, and with the continued spread of construction going on north of 540, that's going to both get worse and also demand a long term solution. We used to live just west of Creedmoor Road, north of 540, and whereas in 2007 I could easily turn out of my neighborhood onto Old Creedmoor Road, by the time we moved in 2019, it could take 3-5 minutes before the traffic presented a safe break to go. In the end, it took me a full ten extra minutes to get onto 540 at the end than when we first moved to NC. And now we live right off of 401, just north of 540, and it's already a parking lot for people who live north of us.

Not sure why/how a toll road makes sense, but I'm also all in for considering the options. And like Twingles mentioned earlier, an initial simple fix would be to get the timing of the traffic lights to cooperate. At certain times of the day I can drive down Capital from 540 to 440 and if I stick to the speed limit, never have to stop, so it can definitely be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 07:21 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,716,882 times
Traffic signal synchronization can help, but be careful what you ask for - you might get it. Creedmoor, Lead Mine, Six Forks, etc are all set up to prioritize north-south traffic during rush hours. That's great, if you're going between 540 and 440. But if you're going east-west across north Raleigh, you'd better have time on your hands.

50 is back in the plan for widening between 540 and Norwood. Will take longer for it to be widened between Norwood and 98, but it will happen eventually.

Old 01-30-2024, 08:30 AM

4,167 posts, read 4,882,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
All of the feeder roads heading into 540/440 fail to meet the current volumes, and with the continued spread of construction going on north of 540, that's going to both get worse and also demand a long term solution. We used to live just west of Creedmoor Road, north of 540, and whereas in 2007 I could easily turn out of my neighborhood onto Old Creedmoor Road, by the time we moved in 2019, it could take 3-5 minutes before the traffic presented a safe break to go. In the end, it took me a full ten extra minutes to get onto 540 at the end than when we first moved to NC. And now we live right off of 401, just north of 540, and it's already a parking lot for people who live north of us.

Not sure why/how a toll road makes sense, but I'm also all in for considering the options. And like Twingles mentioned earlier, an initial simple fix would be to get the timing of the traffic lights to cooperate. At certain times of the day I can drive down Capital from 540 to 440 and if I stick to the speed limit, never have to stop, so it can definitely be done.
A toll road would be necessary to raise funding to expedite construction projects faster since the DOT doesn't have sufficient funds budgeted which could push road improvement projects out 10 years or more before funding is allocated which is why portions of 540 are toll roads. In general I don't like the toll road idea because it will hurt businesses along Capital boulevard and lower income people will be discouraged from using the toll roads and will be more inconvenienced during their daily commute taking alternate routes.

Old 01-30-2024, 10:16 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
A toll road would be necessary to raise funding to expedite construction projects faster since the DOT doesn't have sufficient funds budgeted which could push road improvement projects out 10 years or more before funding is allocated which is why portions of 540 are toll roads. In general I don't like the toll road idea because it will hurt businesses along Capital boulevard and lower income people will be discouraged from using the toll roads and will be more inconvenienced during their daily commute taking alternate routes.

I could see NCDOT rebuilding Capital with freeway lanes and frontage roads northward until the interchange with 98, then continuing the frontage roads north of 98 Business more or less to Youngsville. The frontage roads could be free while the freeway lanes could be tolled.

Old 01-30-2024, 01:22 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
I think making it a toll road would be disastrous for both local businesses and commuters. People would just find alternate routes and move traffic congestion to those roads.
Have you driven it at all? There isn't much for local business between 540 and Falls of Neuse, aside from Car dealerships. The Car dealerships would be fine.

Old 01-30-2024, 02:54 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,882,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Have you driven it at all? There isn't much for local business between 540 and Falls of Neuse, aside from Car dealerships. The Car dealerships would be fine.

Yes I've driven it and there are other businesses in the area besides just car dealerships.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:02 PM

368 posts, read 295,872 times
Quote:
Yes I've driven it and there are other businesses in the area besides just car dealerships.
For about the last 20 years, driveway permits for new buildings on US 1 were written to say that access to the main line of US 1 was granted temporarily until the project to improve the corridor was completed. Permanent access would then be to the access road. At the public meeting about a year ago, I know there were some business owners that leased that were surprised by that.

Old 01-30-2024, 08:15 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Not really. There’s a Dunkin’ Donuts/gas station, a bar, a quarry…and mostly a bunch of car dealerships. Most of it doesn’t even seem to rely on drive by traffic.

Old 01-30-2024, 11:10 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times
From Raleigh up to Perry Creek Rd. I believe there are 4 sections of changes to US1, and only 1 has current funding with the remaining sections delayed until the next STIP around 2030.

This rebuilding will convert several intersections into interchanges with ramps, thus eliminating the traffic signals altogether.

The perpendicular roads will go under US1 which will rise over as an overpass. No frontage roads will be built to my knowledge.

From Perry Creek Rd to Franklin County and to Franklinton, obviously the first great need is a 3rd general purpose lane.

Hopefully some of the signaled intersections could be converted to NCDOT's updated version of the former "NC Superstreet", which is now called a Reduced Conflict Intersection. This eliminates the protected left turn phase and forces several movements to the minor road to be accomplished with u-turns. US 401 to the East features these intersections almost all the way to Louisburg.

If a toll was added to US1, it would likely only be with a HOT lane. A HOT lane's only purpose is to offer the option of a lane that guarantees free flow at a minimum of 45mph or greater. The price would constantly fluctuate to discourage too many cars from using it to maintain minimum 45mph+ speed.

This HOT lane would need to rise above existing intersections through Wake Forest and Youngsville, probably like the elevated reversable HOT lanes along I-75 in metro Atlanta's Cobb county.

They won't ever toll US's general purpose lanes, but it is indeed awful. There are 14 traffic signals from Mini City to Youngsville. People are content driving too slow on US1 and it's maddening.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:39 PM

94 posts, read 57,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
I could see NCDOT rebuilding Capital with freeway lanes and frontage roads northward until the interchange with 98, then continuing the frontage roads north of 98 Business more or less to Youngsville. The frontage roads could be free while the freeway lanes could be tolled.

They've been talking about doing that for a couple of decades now, but nothing has come of it. Back when the idea was first raised, land could have been purchased for far less than it would cost now. Lack of foresight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary