Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2024, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 8,879 times

Advertisements

I'd like to find somewhere that will evacuate & recharge my car's air conditioner. Recommendations for a shop that specializes in auto air conditioning and who doesn't see it a flashing-dollar-sign sales opportunity? Ideally in Durham or Cary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 02:28 PM

360 posts, read 223,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htroberts View Post
I'd like to find somewhere that will evacuate & recharge my car's air conditioner. Recommendations for a shop that specializes in auto air conditioning and who doesn't see it a flashing-dollar-sign sales opportunity? Ideally in Durham or Cary.
Do you know why your car needs freon? Is it leaking out? Is there any cold are coming out of the vents at all? What is the year/make/model of the vehicle? Some newer cars use R1234yf refrigerant and it is very expensive. The machines needed to evacuate and add the precise amount of refrigerant are very expensive, so shade tree or part-time mechanics (who would normally be cheaper) may not be able to help you.

I'm sorry I can't make a recommendation, at least not in Durham or Cary. I do all of my own work because I don't trust other people. The folks at Sanders Automotive in Pittsboro (in between CH & PBO) are honest and reasonably priced.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:44 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htroberts View Post
Try APC Nick in Cary. https://www.facebook.com/performancechassis/ He seems to have a great connection with the Miata Community, and he helped fix my Miata AC (but works on other cars too). Was fair, reasonable and reliable. Not the cheapest in the world, but definitely seemed fair.

My one dealing with him was a good experience, if I need more work, I'll go back to him.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:05 AM
NDS

58 posts, read 65,260 times
I got a quote of roughly 200bux to perform similar service on my sedan, but it wasn’t quite clear to me if that service would be “we’ll find a fix the leak, and then recharge” or “unless the leak is massive and immediately visible, we’ll refill your coolant but you’ll have to repeat pay the whole thing in six weeks if there’s a slow dribble leak”. Anyone know the best way to ask questions of the auto shop such that you know what your all in cost will be (if there’s a slow dribble leak”?

Old 04-17-2024, 01:58 PM

360 posts, read 223,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDS View Post
I got a quote of roughly 200bux to perform similar service on my sedan, but it wasn’t quite clear to me if that service would be “we’ll find a fix the leak, and then recharge” or “unless the leak is massive and immediately visible, we’ll refill your coolant but you’ll have to repeat pay the whole thing in six weeks if there’s a slow dribble leak”. Anyone know the best way to ask questions of the auto shop such that you know what your all in cost will be (if there’s a slow dribble leak”?
You shouldn't need to replace Freon generally speaking. My vehicles have a "slow" leak, as in, I need to recharge every 3-5 YEARS.

The correct way to perform the job is to put the system under vacuum and pump out the old freon. If the system does not hold a vacuum, there is a leak. A technician should never recharge the system if it doesn't hold vacuum, otherwise you're just wasting Freon.

Coolant and Freon are different chemicals for different applications.

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 8,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Do you know why your car needs freon? Is it leaking out? Is there any cold are coming out of the vents at all? What is the year/make/model of the vehicle? Some newer cars use R1234yf refrigerant and it is very expensive. The machines needed to evacuate and add the precise amount of refrigerant are very expensive, so shade tree or part-time mechanics (who would normally be cheaper) may not be able to help you.

I'm sorry I can't make a recommendation, at least not in Durham or Cary. I do all of my own work because I don't trust other people. The folks at Sanders Automotive in Pittsboro (in between CH & PBO) are honest and reasonably priced.
I don’t know that it does need refrigerant, but it’s 23 years old and doesn’t cool near as well as it used to, and I’d like to try an evac & weighed charge first. It does cool, and it has a low charge cutoff, so there’s at least some refrigerant still in the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary