Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Wake County schools research, problems with public school, schedules, financial aid, how to select a school, sports, electives, waiting list myths, admissions process

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:26 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSB View Post
Ok, you're crazy.

Actually, I thought most of what you wrote was insightful and interesting.

However, I'm disturbed by the trend (or at least a trend as I perceive it) of parents trying to control every aspect of their children's lives. It reminds me of a joke I heard recently:

Person 1: Knock Knock.

Person 2: Who's there?

Person 1: Control freak . . (very brief pause) . . ok, ok, this is where you say control freak who?!

The bottom line is that most of our parents never went through these kind of lengths to evaluate the schools we attended (nor should they have). We can't shelter our kids from every evil, and if parents do their utmost to protect and provide for their kids during middle and high school, they'll often pay the price later (most of these kids fly away from the nest eventually, what happens then?).

I have attended public schools from K-Graduate School and I have never regretted a minute of it. I had some really tough times fitting in, learning to be disciplined in my study habits, and developing the confidence to achieve. However, eventually I developed the self-esteem and confidence required to achieve any goals I set for myself, and I wouldn't change a thing.
Yes, I believe they are referred to as "helicopter moms" b/c they hover around the kids trying to "help".

That said, we are opting for private as well, so I can't be too critical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:41 PM
VSB

170 posts, read 798,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Yes, I believe they are referred to as "helicopter moms" b/c they hover around the kids trying to "help".

That said, we are opting for private as well, so I can't be too critical
In the end, we're after the same goal with different means. I'd rather spend those private school dollars on a house in a public school district with a decent reputation (or maybe a yacht). Despite that, I don't begrudge anyone for sending their kids to private school. However, if the primary objective is to create a more "controlled" setting, and avoid fancy cars and foul attitudes, that's a recipe for failure (and a few laughs).

Old 06-12-2008, 11:22 PM

108 posts, read 494,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSB View Post
In the end, we're after the same goal with different means. I'd rather spend those private school dollars on a house in a public school district with a decent reputation (or maybe a yacht). Despite that, I don't begrudge anyone for sending their kids to private school. However, if the primary objective is to create a more "controlled" setting, and avoid fancy cars and foul attitudes, that's a recipe for failure (and a few laughs).
Perhaps I should explain my concern about sportscars in student parking lots and behaviour that troubled me before school and at lunchtime (10:30 a.m. at a public school.

The worst was watching these kids use their cars as toys. they were driving their cars very fast them slamming the breaks in front of their friends. They were racing and cutting each other off. The cars used were sports cars that in my opinion are "too much" car for children who are very new at driving. I also heard their conversations, they used terrible language. A lot of them ate Bojangles for breakfast and some even threw the bags on the ground.

Hey, kids will be kids, but at Wakefieldd High especially after all the tragedies I think parents would have a 1 strike rule about reckless driving. I also wonder why parents feel the need to purchase kids ridiculous spoorts cars that responsible adults tend to drive to fast. It seems to me that most parents who give big things like big fany cars may feel like they haven't given enough of toher things like time or attention (Go ahead, let me have it now)

At the private school for the "wealthy" kids I saw pretty modest cars. In fact, many kids were dropped of by their parents.

I totally agree that anyone who believes their child is completely insulated is in for trouble. Trouble can happen anywhere but private schools will often take more significant action for a significant violation.

Also, I've not mentioned this but I lost my very closest childhood friend to drugs after we went through rezoning. Most of us managed in our own way, some better than others. But he met a group who was confrontational and violent. he was bullied and had knived pulled on him. He felt like he couldn't talk to his family about being afraid going to school, having people pull kives on him, etc. Ultimately, he found a group where he felt he fit in and he became a druggie. He was a very smart, funny, beautiful person who completely lost his confidence when what his friends were taken away from him and he had to start over with different people and a difference culture. He's gone now and I MISS HIM EVERY DAY

This might have happened in provate school but probably not.
Parents, if you're wondering about your lkds step in and do something.

Didin't mean to be depressing. Again my message is not "public school bad, private school good" As a matter of fact some of the best kids I've ever known are in or graduating from Wake County public schools right now.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,689 times
Hi, anyone know where I can get a list of raleigh and surrounding towns that offer the yr round schedule? I've looked everywhere!

Thanks.
Charayne

Old 06-14-2008, 07:18 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Are you looking for the various towns that have YR schools in Wake or the actual schedules?
I'm not sure there is an official list of towns in Wake that have them.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:39 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
You can start here: WCPSS: and you can also call WCPSS customer service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charayne View Post
Hi, anyone know where I can get a list of raleigh and surrounding towns that offer the yr round schedule? I've looked everywhere!

Thanks.
Charayne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary