Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,668 times

Advertisements

Is there anywhere in the RTP area to purchase a highway speed electric car?

Actually, anywhere in the Wake/Johnston County area? New OR used?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 04:05 PM

58 posts, read 47,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasofino View Post
Is there anywhere in the RTP area to purchase a highway speed electric car?

Actually, anywhere in the Wake/Johnston County area? New OR used?

If the answer is yes, how much do they cost? I want one, but I am a cheapo.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:14 PM

5,730 posts, read 17,539,703 times
You mean FULL electric? Like an EV1 or Insight? Or do mean gas/electric hybrid?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:09 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,728,231 times
Default Triac

So far you can only get the Triac in California. My personal fav is the "future" blue and black, but I'd take a marigold red.

BTW, these are fully electric and have 3 wheels and have 2 seats. If you need 4 seats you can get the "mini van" version.... the Moose, 4 wheels, 4 seats.
Green Vehicles

BTW, the Triac is an affordable 20K

Old 06-09-2008, 06:51 PM

58 posts, read 47,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
So far you can only get the Triac in California. My personal fav is the "future" blue and black, but I'd take a marigold red.

BTW, these are fully electric and have 3 wheels and have 2 seats. If you need 4 seats you can get the "mini van" version.... the Moose, 4 wheels, 4 seats.
Green Vehicles

BTW, the Triac is an affordable 20K

They are so tiny. I would be afraid in them. Aren't they making anything a little bigger? They are cute though.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:56 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,800,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post

all EV1's were destroyed and the insight isn't electric. it's a hybrid. depending on how much you want to spend, you should check out tesla motors. they make a fully electric sports car that is faster than pretty much every gasoline sports car.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:01 PM

5,730 posts, read 17,539,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I stand corrected. Looks like the Insight is a hybrid, not a full electric.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:06 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,199,132 times
There use to be a fully electric car on display at Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh. Next to the car an info sign was displayed that had the name of the man and his local company and the price. I think he was a small operation and built these cars one at a time. It looked very nice and wasn't some tiny car. It looked like your average toyota or Honda. Sorry, but I can't recall the name of the business that manufactured these cars.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:07 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
They are so tiny. I would be afraid in them. Aren't they making anything a little bigger? They are cute though.
Phoenix was suppose to have a sedan model, but all I see on their website is a "SUV" and a truck.

http://www.phoenixmotorcars.com/vehicles/phoenix-suv.php (broken link)

These too are all electric... looks like they are taking reservations. Again a California company. Do you remember a few years back when the Prius first hit the market. People were flying to California to buy one because it was the only place you could get them. I predict we'll see a similar situation w/ the fully electric cars.

Stampede, I understand the worry about the size of the Triac. The other day a Hummer was behind me (right on my bumper) and I felt very small in my Outback, can't imagine what it would have felt like in one of those tiny electrics. A friend of my joked that the Triac was so small that it needs a bicycle safety flag on the back so it can been seen in traffic.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:12 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,922,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
all EV1's were destroyed and the insight isn't electric. it's a hybrid. depending on how much you want to spend, you should check out tesla motors. they make a fully electric sports car that is faster than pretty much every gasoline sports car.
The Telsa is pretty cool, but it's also over $100,000.

I have yet to read about a reasonably priced electric car that can travel at interstate highway speeds for hours on end. Even the Telsa can only go around 200 miles between re-charges.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-09-2008 at 10:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary