Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Raleigh: gifted education programs, Chapel Hill, Cary, new construction, Apex.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:57 PM
nri nri started this thread

8 posts, read 23,434 times

Advertisements

I finally ventured into Raleigh area to see what it is, but in the wrong time. I was there on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, the temperatures ranged between 100 to 102, the heat was unbearable. I almost got fried, boiled, baked, grilled..you name it, I'm still recovering from it . Here are my observations about this area.

Everywhere it is green, green, green...,. I wonder why it was not listed in one of greenest cities in U.S.A.
So which place is beautiful in triangle area? The question is like which part of your body is beautiful? You can't see any difference between the places in this area since entire place is greenery and scenary.
Cary, Apex, Hollysprings, Morrisville - They have vibrant communities, atleast you notice that some activity is going on. These places have new communities and still some new constructions are going on. People here are very happy about their areas, through they agreed that school redistricting is an issue. None of their kids (whomever I spoke with) got redistricted in their elementary or high school. It is year round curriculum but I was told that you can choose some tracks where you get bunch of holidays at once in Dec and summer instead of every nine weeks. (Citation needed). People here love to send their kids to magnet schools, but they have to get it through lottery in Feb of every year. Once you are in, you all set(citation needed), Everyone unanimously voted for Chapel Hill area for school system, but there is a big difference in cost of living between Cary & Chapel Hill area. (Chapel Hill area is more expensive).
I jumped on to Chapel Hill area without any delay. It is really a hill with lot of curved roads covered with pinewooded trees. We have to sneak through tress to find whether there is a house inside. First couple of hours, I got scared while driving through these areas, but slowly adjusted after seeing some cops cars. Though there are plenty of houses (all are old covered with large pine wooded trees), it doesn't seem like people are living in these (may be because it was Sunday). I drove around Coker hills, Lake forest and Elliot drive. Enquired about schools and got the following feedback.
Glenwood is crowded.
Estes is good.
Rashkins and Seawell are new and equipped with latest technology and academically gifted programs.
I went to Estes, not impressed with appearance of the building (of course that is not important). Talked to school admin, when I told about their school's good reputation, she was surprisedwith my input.
Went to Seawell school which has pleasant look compared to Estes. School admin was very informative.
Looked for apartments around Estes school. Surprised to know that the residents in an apartment across Estes are going to Rashkins schools. When I asked apartment manager why they are going to Rashkins when Estes is visible from there, she also got puzzled and called her boss, he also had no clue but gave me a valuable advice to contact school district office why their apartment was not under Estes school
Went to another apartment which is 9 year old and looks very good. Asked the apartment manager whether their community was under Estes. He had a surprise look at me and told that I was the first guy who specifically asked for Estes where as all other prospective residents were asking specifically for Rashkins (this may be hi marketing technique, not sure).
Based on listings on aprtments.com and apartmentfinder.com, I went to one brand new apartments which I fell in love at first sight. Though it is very expensvie, I was ready to pay for it since I though it was under Estes according apartment.com. But the news is, their community went to Estes last year, now all are redistricted to Seawell school. The redistricting seems to be a problem here too, since some news schools are being constructed (Morrison...), again students from Estes, Rashkins and Seawell may be redistricted again. I'm too confused, only consolation is all schools in CH/Carrboro are excellent.
Regarding housing, there are no new constructions in CH area. Whether it is Cary, Apex, Chapel Hill, you get what you pay for. This concept is true across the country except California, Newyork and some other places. I don't understand why people say housing is affordable here. Enquired about some houses I liked in Cary and Chapel hill are, the price range is between 450K to 1.5 M:
I feel like writing more about my experience, but as I mentioned I'm still recovering from heat stroke and really need rest.
Overall it is

Please throw some inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 05:51 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Maybe Chapel Hill is not what will please your budget.

I live in a beautiful North Raleigh apt near Triangle Town Center and pay very reasonable rent.

Chapel Hill is on the high side of Triangle pricing.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:44 PM

892 posts, read 3,160,676 times
Wow, you did visit during the hottest June on record! Least you could enjoy the greenery as you baked/broiled! Hope your recovery goes well.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:06 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
Except for a few areas of Cary, where land scarcity and proximity to RTP and 540 has pushed up prices for new construction, you should be able to find a very nice home for under $450K. I don't see any comparable area (lots of high paying tech jobs, very good schools, etc) that offers any better value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary