Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:44 PM

6 posts, read 16,742 times

Advertisements

This is only anecdotal, but my wife works as a recruiter for a major IT company that has big offices throughout the country. She says that when someone within the company relocates from the Bay Area to the Triangle area, they take a standard 10% pay cut. Of course, considering the cost of living differences, that seems like a great deal - since NC is much more than 10% cheaper than SF and the quality of living seems higher too (at least from the outside looking in).

As for myself, from what I have been able to gather looking at job listings, it seems like I would probably be looking at a 10%-20% pay cut going from LA to the Triangle for an equivalent position. (I am a manager at a software company.)

I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 03:13 PM

12 posts, read 35,766 times
I agree. I would put at least a 20% reduction from Ca to Raleigh. Cisco being a major client in San Jose and Raleigh, a person doing the same in both locations is not going to make the same thing. There is no doubt the salary as well as cost of living would mirror itself to a degree, but the salary won't be as big of a difference as the cost of living. You will still see that even with a 20% pay reduction you will live in a bigger house with a shorter commute in Raleigh. The bay area is prettier and it is a totally different lifestyle between the two. It's hard to put a price tag on a 30 min commute from your 3000sf house v/s an 1.5 hour commute from your 1000sf townhome. After living in LA for four years myself, I like Raleigh better, but I always will enjoy my time in CA and find it is a great place to visit with may fond memories.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:02 PM

Cisco is actually the company my wife works for as a recruiter where they require a 10% pay cut when moving from the San Jose office to the NC office.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:48 AM

We do a lot of SOW work with Cisco in both locations. I work for TEKsystems with the Nortel account in Raleigh. Cisco is busy and doing well. I'm hoping Nortel will rebound with it's alliance with Microsoft (ICA) and the development of IPTV. Only time will tell. Honestly supply and demand sets the price in IT regardless of where you live. Your probably closer with 10% than I am at 20% are you considering moving to NC?

Old 03-18-2007, 12:04 PM

My wife and I are getting more and more set on making the move from LA to Raleigh. We want to live in a place where life is a touch slower-paced, the landscape is greener, and the atmosphere is more condusive to raising a family (not to mention cheaper real estate). Don't get me wrong, we love southern California (we have both spent most of our lives here), but sometimes the place that is right for you when you are young starts to become a but less right as you get older. It will probably be a couple of years before we're ready to make the jump - but it is the goal we have our eyes fixed on everyday at this point.

Right now, I run a Quality Assurance department for a pretty large software company here in California. I am hoping that when we're ready to move I can find something similar out there (though maybe with a smaller company). I have looked around enough on the job boards to get a sense that there are jobs out there that I could probably fill - which gives me confidence that that will be the case when we move. I know that I probably won't be able to command the same salary in that job market, but that seems like a trade off that I am very willing to make.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:57 PM

You'll enjoy Raleigh. It's green, unlike the concrete jungle. There are mountains to the west and plenty of beaches to the east. You won't be able to ski in the morning and lay out at the beach in the afternoon, but it's only a few hours from Raleigh from one or the other. This area is changing so fast there is no telling where the best place is going to be to live in two years. In your price range you shouldn't have a hard time finding what you are looking for though.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:06 AM

27 posts, read 129,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I've been a IT/Telecom recruiter in the area for over seven years. If you tell me what your skill set is, I can give you my input on what your rate range may be by what I see at work. Again, it has to be a range, but hopefully a narrower one that what you are seeing on job boards.
I do the same type of work and would be happy to give another opinion on this topic.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:41 AM

306 posts, read 1,192,695 times
Question Did you look at

Craigslist? I just looked under the "tech support" and "system/network" and some of them DO list salaries. I don't know if there are jobs in your category listed, but it might give you somemore info. I do know my daughter's friend works for the US Government out here in CA and she would also take a cut in pay, but I am not sure how much. It actually not a "Pay Cut" but because CA's cost of living is so high here she just gets a salary increase adjustment. Good Luck. Char

Last edited by JustChar; 03-26-2007 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-26-2007, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,855 times
The Beast--
Looking for it/telcom job in area; relocating in Summer from NOVA, current gov't defense contractor w/ BS Comp SCi, MS Telcom Mgmt--best way to catch recruiters attention? Can you recommend recruiter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary