Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,529 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am going to be working in RTP from March and due to some reasons can't get a driver's license. I'm looking to rent/buy a place and was wondering which areas are well connected to RTP by public transportation. Is car a necessity or can people get around without it? I have looked at the TTA/CAT sites but I need specific information like the names of communities where I can live. Thanks for your help!
RN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 05:43 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
I am very interested in what people have to say about this. I think increasing public transportation to RTP is an absolute must in this area. I imagine homes located near public transportation to RTP are priced to represent this convenience. Am I right to assume as much?

Old 01-09-2007, 05:53 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
We do have a regional bus system, the Triangle Transit Authority (TTA). Go to their website to see their routes: ridetta.org

You can also visit gotriangle.org , which has combined the info for TTA along with the Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill city bus systems.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably aim to live in Durham, sorta towards RTP, and take TTA buses from there. It'd be a LOT less time and hassle than getting there from Raleigh.

Good luck.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 PM

23 posts, read 78,674 times
There are some apartments just south of RTP in Morrisville on Davis Drive. There is a TTA stop right there as well as a shopping center with a grocery store and restaurants right across the street. I have no idea about price for those apartments, but they look nice.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:51 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,586 times
I agree with RaleighRob. Living in Durham might be the best, if the bus connections are good. That way you could have some city conveniences for your time off, rather than being stuck in a suburban enclave.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:15 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,744 times
Make sure the bus route will take you to your new job. The buildings in the RTP are very spread out and the bus will definitely not drive by all of them.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:40 AM

98 posts, read 637,220 times
without a driving license you will be a prisoner in your apartment !!! you be better off in a large city with established public transportation rather than depend on TTA buses - other than than get yourself a bicycle and peddle like hell to avoid the potholes in the roadworks as trucks aim themselves at you. Also, you will be dependant on taxi's for any social life you may have in mind

Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,744 times
I agree! As far as the bicycle, I'd be concerned in riding a bike on the roads here. I've seen people riding bicycle in the middle of the road backing up all traffic because there's no space on the side for them. We're talking about narrow one lane roads with lots of curves and no lighting. Not very safe in my opinion!

Old 01-10-2007, 09:12 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
I agree! As far as the bicycle, I'd be concerned in riding a bike on the roads here. I've seen people riding bicycle in the middle of the road backing up all traffic because there's no space on the side for them. We're talking about narrow one lane roads with lots of curves and no lighting. Not very safe in my opinion!
Depending on where you lived... if you really wanted to be car-free and rely on buses/biking... it can be done.

As Alice and RaleighRob said above, Durham might make sense for taking buses to RTP. There's a fairly extensive bike trail network within RTP and throughout central and southern Durham. If you lived off of Fayeteville Rd. in southern Durham, you could take the American Tobacco Trail north to Cornwallis and then take special bike lanes over to RTP. There are "on street" options too but the trails/bike lanes could be easiest. Southern Durham has options for shopping, grocery stores, etc. and has both apartments and subdivisions (Hope Valley Farms, Woodcroft, etc.) right off the Fayetteville Rd. thoroughfare.

You might consider historic neighborhoods near downtown Durham, like Old West Durham, Watts-Hillandale, Trinity Park, Old North Durham, Duke Park, etc. These are walking distance to shopping and have bike paths that connect to the American Tobacco Trail. There is also a "bike bus" of RTP commuters who meet up and cycle to/from RTP together, IIRC. www.bikewalkdurham.org for more info, or www.smartcommute.org (which focuses on car-free transport to RTP.)

Carrboro/Chapel Hill are also very friendly communities for car-free people. The bus system in Chapel Hill is actually FREE (100% taxpayer supported) and is safe and very heavily used. TTA is an option from these communities as well.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:08 AM

823 posts, read 3,922,586 times
list of bike maps (some are old)
http://www.ncdot.org/transit/bicycle...aps_urban.html
Durham Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission http://dbpac.dchcmpo.org/
Durham Greenway trails map http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/departments/parks/trails.cfm (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary