U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2006, 10:12 AM

630 posts, read 1,723,197 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
This is by far the best site for getting honest info. Heres my story:
My current company is selling my product line and I'll be layed off around the end of the summer. I've been looking to finally make the move from MA. I'm sick of the winters, expensive housing and the general attitude of people (always unfriendly and rush rush rush).

I might have an opportunity in Roxboro, but I don't know much about the place. My situation is my fiance and I are a mixed race couple (shes asian and I'm white) and we're looking to be near Raleigh. How bad would a commute be from Raleigh north and is it common for people to have an hour commute?

From reading this board it seems that Apex or Cary is the place for transplants. I guess i'm mostly worried about her and how people will act towards her or us as a couple. Is there anywhere with a decent asian population or is there any good/safe communities north of cary/apex near Rt 501.

Thanks so much everyone
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2006, 02:29 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,988,892 times
I think that the closer you are to one of NC's bigger cities, the less stares or whatever y'all will get. It's highly unlikely that anyone would actually say anything or do anything, but some people might give you looks. Though, as I said, not so much (if at all) if you're close to one of our bigger cities. And it may not even happen a whole lot in more rural areas.

I live in Greensboro and mixed race couples are not unusual here. Just speaking for myself (a NC native), I don't see what the big deal is about a mixed couple. People are people. Who cares what color their skin is?

Anyway, I never hear of mixed couples being harrassed around here. There may be small pockets of ignorant people here and there, but it's not nearly as bad as it was a few decades ago.

Also, I think that those who do have a problem with mixed race couples seem to dislike black/white couples more than they do whites with other races.

You will make friends here. So don't worry that it will be just the two of you against the world or whatever. lol Most people here are pretty decent and friendly.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,398 times
My brother-in-law and sister-in-law are a mixed couple, too. (Same as you, in fact). They have been here for about 15 years and I have never, ever, heard them say they have been the subject of even one negative remark, or ever been treated different from someone else. The Raleigh area - especially the more upscale suburban areas - have huge populations of Asians (also Indian). The only races that seem to sometimes be viewed negatively, I am sorry to say, are Hispanics, and to a lesser extent, blacks. What century are we in?

Old 08-27-2010, 09:48 AM

17 posts, read 29,949 times
The mixed race thing is of little consequence. Roxboro is the Person County seat and as such has plenty of ineffectual police looking to bolster the coffers of the municipality and county. A pretty good distance to Raleigh from Roxboro too. The traffic you'll face from Durham on to Raleigh will remind you of MA. Perhaps a town closer to Raleigh would make you glad you moved to NC. If your work is in Roxboro with only occassional trips to the Capitol then Roxboro is OK to live in. ( I'm surprised if you found a decent job in Roxboro,,, it's got plenty of sweat shops and "cradle to grave minimum wage" paying employers with few exceptions.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:07 AM

36,268 posts, read 63,120,507 times
By Gum, This Here Just Might Be A Danged Record For Aniquity In NecroPosting!

It Is So Old, I Don't See Nothing But Hieroglyphics On My Screen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary