Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 02:25 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoFLtoNC View Post
At least NYers will just tell you like it is.
That's not always a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 02:25 PM

79 posts, read 226,963 times
I agree with Claire, my husband and his family have been here since the dawn of time, I'm a native Californian. What I observe that irritates natives is when you hear people talk openly about how in "such and such" place we did things this way and we have these kinds of places and we should have that here. I believe that the southerners feel, as any of us would, that we don't embrace what we have here. It's similiar to when you have someone new start working for a company and every other sentence out of them is how "when I worked at such and such place we did it this way". Now, in defense of newbies, there are some changes/additions that enhance the area, I think we need to be sensitive.....as they say "When in Rome"

Old 06-14-2008, 05:28 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
I agree with the prior post and would add a couple things, when a place becomes popular it puts pressure on the people whom have lived here and family before them. Homes have reached price levels unaffordable to the area which are caused by people who cashed out of resent bubble areas. Salary here is lower(wish it would adjust for the costs,not going to happen) and high equity transplants now looking for jobs makes it harder for every one to make a living. Traffic becomes like places no one here would want to live in but it was brought here by people from those places. Trees and open space has been replaced by apts and condos with no old trees any where. All the lakes and beaches get over run and crowded, Strange Places to eat pop up all over the place. Drug stores on every corner. People with different driving habits and also cause higher insurance for the area. People with strange accents and different social behavoir(not all is bad) One encounter with an ultra rude person ran over my wife with a grocery cart and never looked up never said excuse me nothing. at the check out clearly a NYer. Change has been brought here not by every ones choice and while it is better for the people moving here how can you expect it to be good for the people already here when it was a great place before this happened , thats what caused the surge. The saying it is what it is , is dead on here and some are very frustrated that the life they had has been altered and replaced with large crowds of people. But that is life and in the end who knows what this place will look like. You cant change destiny you just have roll with what your dealt. Now that this area has become so expensive and jobs are not keeping up with in migration we will wait to see what the next gold rush state is.
Guess I'm not the only one who thinks like this. Hello friend. I'm a refugee from New Orleans who came here with a job in 1989.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:25 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,470 times
Quote:
Strange Places to eat pop up all over the place.
This makes me want to open a restaurant called "Strange Places." Or maybe a bar. Or write a book with the title. It's evokes a sense of mystery and fun.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:54 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
I agree with the prior post and would add a couple things, when a place becomes popular it puts pressure on the people whom have lived here and family before them. Homes have reached price levels unaffordable to the area which are caused by people who cashed out of resent bubble areas. Salary here is lower(wish it would adjust for the costs,not going to happen) and high equity transplants now looking for jobs makes it harder for every one to make a living. Traffic becomes like places no one here would want to live in but it was brought here by people from those places. Trees and open space has been replaced by apts and condos with no old trees any where. All the lakes and beaches get over run and crowded, Strange Places to eat pop up all over the place. Drug stores on every corner. People with different driving habits and also cause higher insurance for the area. People with strange accents and different social behavoir(not all is bad) One encounter with an ultra rude person ran over my wife with a grocery cart and never looked up never said excuse me nothing. at the check out clearly a NYer. Change has been brought here not by every ones choice and while it is better for the people moving here how can you expect it to be good for the people already here when it was a great place before this happened , thats what caused the surge. The saying it is what it is , is dead on here and some are very frustrated that the life they had has been altered and replaced with large crowds of people. But that is life and in the end who knows what this place will look like. You cant change destiny you just have roll with what your dealt. Now that this area has become so expensive and jobs are not keeping up with in migration we will wait to see what the next gold rush state is.
50% of Raleighs population has a college degree. Wages are keeping up and housing is still low. Now you can blame that on the fact that so many educated people are here now but that's the reality. Find me any place with such a high amount of people with college degrees that is cheaper than Raleigh.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:26 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Find me any place with such a high amount of people with college degrees that is cheaper than Raleigh.
Not bad. This list surprised me. I didn't think that Raleigh would rank so high.

America's smartest cities - Aug. 31, 2006

Old 06-14-2008, 07:31 PM

18 posts, read 13,699 times
Quote:
Now that this area has become so expensive and jobs are not keeping up with in migration we will wait to see what the next gold rush state is.

Expensive? It seems dirt cheap to me.

There is an almost endless supply of jobs that pay $40k to $80k, thousands of homes under $250k, low energy costs, low insurance costs and affordale education. That seems like a good combination. We have the newcomers to thank for much of this. Them having decided to relocate here has brought good jobs, as good companies will flock to areas with highly educated people. Now our kids have a chance to graduate college and get excellent jobs themselves.

I like that kind of change.

Last edited by Cashinin; 06-14-2008 at 09:03 PM..

Old 06-14-2008, 07:41 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoFLtoNC View Post
I think it's really funny when I hear southeners complain about "yankees" moving here. Uh....the civil war ended hundreds of years ago.

The majority of citizens can trace their roots back to immigration. I think when I hear people who grew up in NC complain about northeners that they are really just being selfish. Obviously they don't own the state. That's just stupid.

Also, in my opinion, I think southeners are nice to your face and rude behind your back. At least NYers will just tell you like it is.

Well, If I didn't learn anything else from this heartwarming post, I DID deduce that you are from New York.
Some folks wear it well. Some less so.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:55 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashinin View Post
Expensive? It seems dirt cheap to me.

There is an almost endless supply of jobs that pay $40k to $80k, thousands of homes under $250k, low energy costs, low insurance costs and affordale education. That seems like a good combination. We have the newcomers to thank for much of this. Them having decided to relocate here has brought good jobs. Now our kids have a chance to graduate college and get excellent jobs themselves.

I like that kind of change.
Jobs bring new commers not the other way around. check out charlotte unemployeement is in the rise. more people then jobs. College was easer to get into before thousands of new residents moved here, I know have a kid going next year its alot tougher to get in now. Dont get me wrong I have watched people move in here all my life and it really never mattered to me. My issue is the huge migration doing it with out a job. Fact is if every one who moved here had a job first we wouldnt have near the problems we have and will have with schools roads ect. And its no different then any where else I listened to a guy tell me he could not stand new yorkers, he was from Upstate NY, said they drove up prices there and so he moved here.Its easy to blame some one but how can you when you have lived the good life and thats all they want to. Its happening in Texas Montana ect no different its the new age migration and some liked it before it happened thats all.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:59 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,844 times
Also check out the heat sheets for Nc verse lets say LI Prices have very much come alot closer together. Listing prices in some zips in LI are selling for 200,000 less then asking prices while here its still a sellers market. Raleigh it still close to historical highs while bubble areas are falling at rates of 20 plus %.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary