Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 06:54 PM

18 posts, read 13,625 times

Advertisements

It seems the storms and rain are getting into the pattern of missing us again. Are we headed into another summer of drought? Better break out the rain barrels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 07:20 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,010,083 times
Drought never ended....

Old 06-14-2008, 07:55 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,927,952 times
Drought Status - North Carolina Drought Management Advisory Council (broken link)

Old 06-14-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Drought never ended....

We had been removed from the drought category and put in the abnormally dry category for a bit. Now back into the drought category.
It is just amazing out there. The storms pop up, but then fall apart before we can get any good rains here.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:25 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,376,225 times
Got some nice rain in Chapel Hill this evening but it's not enough to make up for the lack of rain over the last three weeks.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
Got some nice rain in Chapel Hill this evening but it's not enough to make up for the lack of rain over the last three weeks.
Can I come over and get some?

Old 06-14-2008, 08:49 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,927,952 times
Some activity still going on around the state.

http://images.intellicast.com/WeatherImg/Radar/clt.gif

Old 06-15-2008, 07:53 AM

It rained!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I woke up to a half inch of rain in my rain gauge.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:02 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,585,527 times
So nice to take a break from the daily watering of my newly-installed Zoysia sod!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:39 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,419,476 times
Default When is a drought not a drought?

Several of us were discussing this very thing just yesterday. We were declared, after the rain from this Spring, to be 'out of the drought' but still considered 'dry' -- drier than usual. I think of balancing my checkbook, and while I may have made up a hole created last week, last month, last year, I still have this month and the next and the one after that I need to address, so I had some difficulty wrapping my head around 'not being in a drought.'

How many years does it take for a trend to become the norm, I wonder.

The general area used to be Zone 7 in my gardening books, and now, it's considered Zone 8. Less rain for a number of years would equate to difference in average yearly rainfall, eventually, wouldn't it? Might become a moot point thinking the general Raleigh area can sustain, or afford to sustain, fescue grass(es) as opposed to the warm season ones like zoysia and centipede. Having moved to Raleigh from Wilmington, I am more used to brown grass in the winter, I guess, as opposed to this brown grass I have during the hot months of summer.

Have changes been made note of, in terms of the general climate here, including average rainfall? It may be that instead of declaring drought year after year after year, that we need to consider having less rainfall and adjusting accordingly. I have been too afraid to pour the water out on the lawn just because my experience these past several years -- three, to be exact -- has been that we ended up with a lot less water come the hot months of Summer here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary