Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:11 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,278 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a restaurant for eating good salads, and healthy foods? Nothing too pricey--but not fast food either. I am just looking for a really good nutritious meal for a family with kids. In most any area I'm just longing for a good salad with chicken maybe and lots of fresh veggies.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 02:50 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
My wife and I had a habbit of going to Jason's Deli on Sat or Sun for their salad bar. We did this 2 or 3 times a month. They have a fairly good salad bar at a reasonable price. I'm not a big iceberg fan, so I appreciate that they have spinach and field greens as well. We're not close to a Jason's in our new house, so we've had to adapt.

My wife now likes this place in Cary called Sweet Tomatoes. I hate it. I don't dislike the food in general, but I dislike the concept. You go through the salad bar line first, then find a seat, then you can get up to go to other food "stations" to get less healthy food like mac & cheese, cheese pizza, desserts, etc. I always spend the entire meal running back and forth getting food for my wife, toddler son, and myself and I don't feel like I relax and enjoy my meal. But, they have a fairly good salad bar and you can find coupons in the mail.

I also think that Panera Bread has some good salads, along with Carolina Cafe & Bakery. Village Deli has a really good Pear & Gorgonzola salad with field greens that I like. If you want something a little more exotic, try Neomonde Bakery. It is a Lebanese restaurant and they serve salads like falafel, hummus, and baba ghanouj. Whole Foods market has a good salad bar and they also have a few tables both inside and outside the market.

These are all counter-service type restaurants with no waitstaff. There are many more, but this is just a start.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:39 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
My wife and I had a habbit of going to Jason's Deli on Sat or Sun for their salad bar. We did this 2 or 3 times a month. They have a fairly good salad bar at a reasonable price. I'm not a big iceberg fan, so I appreciate that they have spinach and field greens as well. We're not close to a Jason's in our new house, so we've had to adapt.

My wife now likes this place in Cary called Sweet Tomatoes. I hate it. I don't dislike the food in general, but I dislike the concept. You go through the salad bar line first, then find a seat, then you can get up to go to other food "stations" to get less healthy food like mac & cheese, cheese pizza, desserts, etc. I always spend the entire meal running back and forth getting food for my wife, toddler son, and myself and I don't feel like I relax and enjoy my meal. But, they have a fairly good salad bar and you can find coupons in the mail.

I also think that Panera Bread has some good salads, along with Carolina Cafe & Bakery. Village Deli has a really good Pear & Gorgonzola salad with field greens that I like. If you want something a little more exotic, try Neomonde Bakery. It is a Lebanese restaurant and they serve salads like falafel, hummus, and baba ghanouj. Whole Foods market has a good salad bar and they also have a few tables both inside and outside the market.

These are all counter-service type restaurants with no waitstaff. There are many more, but this is just a start.

I agree about liking Jason's and hating Sweet Tomatoes. I do all the cooking at out house so if we eat out I want to be WAITED on hand and foot!! A serve yourself salad bar is okay but beyond that I want to sit and relax.
Alot of the restuarants we go to are starting to put salad with a meat, seafood or chicken on the menu.
Milton's pizza has a good salad bar..love that place!!!

We have gone heathy at our house and it bugs me that it is almost impossible to get whole grain bread when eating out.

We like the salad bars at Ruby Tuesdays .

Applebees has alot of low calorie meal choices.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:42 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,456 times
I second Sweet Tomatoes, Jason's Deli, and Whole Foods.

I also like the sandwiches at Sunflowers (Peace Street in Raleigh) and the salads at McAlister's Deli. Both places will customize for you.

McAlister's Deli
Jason's Deli
Souplantation & Sweet Tomatoes : Salad Bar, Soups, Pastas, and Breads
Sunflowers Sandwich Shop - Raleigh, NC, 27603 - Citysearch

For healthy options, I would steer clear of Carolina Cafe. Panera might work for you.

Hand-Tossed Salads
http://www.panerabread.com/pdf/nutr-guide.pdf

Old 06-15-2008, 08:47 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times
Doc Green’s Gourmet Salads & Grill

This place is located right beside Southpoint Mall by the Target.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:52 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Irregardless Cafe in Raleigh on W. Morgan near the intersection with Hillsborough St.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:03 AM

98 posts, read 511,840 times
I second Irregardless Cafe on W. Morgan, I've heard a lot of great things about it, and I'm dying to try it. It's all the restaurant's chef's recipes... and it used to be a purely vegetarian restaurant. Now they do have meat-options as well.

I also like Lilly's Pizza. They have a few options that are extremely delicious and pretty darn healthy for you. It's near the five points area on Glenwood, and they use all organic ingredients, I believe.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:20 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Doc Green’s Gourmet Salads & Grill

This place is located right beside Southpoint Mall by the Target.
Doc Green's is awesome!!! They have some of the best gourmet salads. Also, you can buy a $50 gift card for only $25!
Clear Channel Radio, Raleigh-Durham : Triangle Listener Rewards

I'm also not a fan of Sweet Tomato's either. Its actually the food that I dont like. It lacks flavor or something..its just not that good.

Whole Foods has some really good food, I also agree with that. Jason's Deli is soooooo good. There is one at Brier Creek, one off of Spring Forest and there's another in Durham at 15-501 in the shopping center as Walmart.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:45 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,456 times
Lilly's and Irregardless are good options. You mentioned children but not the ages. Irregardless and Lilly's are extremely busy at times. If your children are the inpatient sort, you might want to aim for earlier in the dining hour.

Also, Lilly's is a true hole-in-the-wall. (I love that place.) You order at the counter and grab your own seat. At peak times, securing a table can be difficult. Food is brought to the table as it comes out of the oven, not all together. Lilly's has a wonderful veggie salad! It takes a little longer to cook, but it is well worth it.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:47 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Doc Green's is awesome!!! They have some of the best gourmet salads.
That does look good. Too bad I live nearly 30 miles away or I'd give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
I'm also not a fan of Sweet Tomato's either. Its actually the food that I dont like. It lacks flavor or something..its just not that good.
They have a salad that I do like. It's a broccoli salad with raisins. Most of the entrees are pretty bad = simple and flavorless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary