Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:05 AM

139 posts, read 550,509 times

Advertisements

Here is one website where you can ask ?s about sports in the 40/42 area of Clayton.

4042.com - The Home Page for Johnston County, NC

I have seen many times posts concerning travel soccer, baseball etc.

West Johnston also has a marching band that has won numerous awards and just marched in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade:

West Johnston High School Band Program

Here is the Clayton HS band:

Clayton High School Band

All middle schools have teams: basketball, soccer etc. I don't have any in middle so I can't comment but I do know they are competitive. The HSs always do well in their divisions: I think Clayton won the "overall best sports award" (based on a points system) for their division this year.

Local paper: claytonnews-star.com

I like that I can see pics and read stories about T-ball up to adult leagues in the local paper!

There are all the "normal" leagues: Y, Civitan, Pop Warner (we will try this year!), Little League, Parks and Rec, Upward and more I am sure.

Good luck with your move to Clayton. Been here 9 years now. I see many of the same families at games and love that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 07:17 AM

214 posts, read 701,673 times
I agree. Sports is one thing you won't have to worry about except for the competitiveness of it. Your oldest is too old for Civitan baseball but parks and rec has a less competitive team for teens 13 up to 17. Garner has a Little League team for teens that is more competitive. Many AAU baseball teams around the area always looking for players. Clayton Parks and Rec also has hoop for the boys. Clayton High did very well in hoop this year as did many of the other sports at the HS. JUSA has a very competitive soccer program and they are expanding. I believe there are also travel soccer teams in other towns to look at. Middle school (at least at Riverwood) has baseball, hoop, soccer, track, volleyball and football.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
Hi Suzanne,
I wouldn't be too worried. The folks on CD represents such a small portion of the population here...it really doesn't mean a whole lot that there aren't many responses (as apparently someone wants you to believe).
Actually I didn't mean it that way--it was my way of "bumping" (since this is a no bump zone), and I could see the question was getting lost. My wording it that way was in hopes it get arousing out of someone to respond. Guess it worked. Glad so many chimed in, esp. with great links and responses.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:37 PM

106 posts, read 343,998 times
Suzanne, Clayton definately does lack in the sports area, the middle schools start their sports in 7th grade but there are plenty of other area sports to join. Riverwood also provides a music program, I'm sure the other elementary schools do also just not familiar with them. No worries we have everything that your looking for.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:34 PM

431 posts, read 1,337,683 times
Default thanks

I appreciate the links.....I will look into them......

I also wasn't aware of the 4042 site which I'm going to check out.....

As I said the older one is very active in alot of sports and his music is very important to him....I would definately put him in pvt lessons if needed but the group playing is so much better for them to work together and learn.

I'm sure there are good programs everywhere it was just that thruout all my chatting here it never came up as a specific topic, and was and is something I need to look into and even have something possibly set up for when we do get there ( I wouldnt want to miss all the deadlines for signups) I know this will help them not only get used to the area and give them something more to do, but is a great way to make new friends....and actually will give us a way to meet new people also....

So I thank you all for your information and anyone who may have more or other insight is greatly welcomed and appreciated....

-Suzanne

Old 01-19-2009, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnsue View Post
hey everyone....

It's me again......well as alot of you know our plan is to move to clayton within the next school year.......

I have 3 boys 13 , 10 , 5 who are very involved in all sports.

2 play on travel soccer teams here and the oldest also plays outside our town on a tournament/travel type baseball team.....very competitive...and also both play basketball

i would love to know how the middle schools/hs fare up with their teams....

Baseball, soccer, basketball.........

And also are there separate leagues within the town or locally that they can join...... I'm curious how it works.....i know it may not be the same as here but i would like to have an idea so i can start researching now....

And while i'm here i'm also curious about their music programs.........my oldest play the saxophone and is actually quite talented so i'd be curious as to what your opinions are of the schools music departments......which may be better/ do they supply instruments/ concerts, etc....
Thanks in advance....

-suzanne

hi suzanne:

Just curious how did you make out with clayton - we are also from li and have visited the area and liked clayton as well. Our daughter will be attending middle school next next 2009/2010 and she is into sports and arts/music (ballet & piano). Please reply

lisa

Old 01-19-2009, 05:39 PM

420 posts, read 1,396,992 times
We are in Clayton. My daughter is in the band at Clayton Middle and I've gotten several recommendations for summer lesson spots for her. My oldest goes to West Johnston and their band is great!! I can't comment on sports as my girls are as girly as they come in that regard!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM

431 posts, read 1,337,683 times
Hi Lisa

We actually made the move a week ago last Thursday on Jan 8th, closed our home in West Islip and drove down for our closing on Friday. (which incidentally didnt happen).....although after alot of bs we closed late Monday.

We bought in Walker Woods over in Flowers Plantation in Clayton... We absolutely love the house and enrolled the kids last week and they were supposed to start school tomorrow......I thankfully got a call from my friend/realtor who told me they closed the schools tomorrow due to inclement weather ( supposed to snow tomorrow ) so I guess the boys lucked out....lol....their first week of school and they'll only have one day since they had today off for the holiday and they get Thurs and Fri off (for snow days they dont get) ironic huh... :-)

Anyways so I can't really give ya any info as of yet other than everyone at the elementary school Riverdell and the Archer Lodge Middle School have been nothing but great and really nice and helpful.....I think the boys will do fine and I'm actually excited for them......I do know that the ms baseball starts next month so my oldest is looking foward to trying out.....and he's also signed up for the band, to play tenor sax....still waiting to hear from the school music/band teacher for info....

Priorityonecb.....any info for summer music lessons would be helpful.....my son Nicholas plays the tenor sax and he's also looking for more of a Jazz band also.......I was told at Archer lodge that they have Jazz lessons after school......I told him I'd look into pvt lessons also as long as he continued in the school band.....

Suzanne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary