Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:46 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times

Advertisements

Our TWC service is almost 100% reliable and Roadrunner has great US based tech support.

Customer service is open 24/7. Try at off-hours if busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 12:07 PM

167 posts, read 566,711 times
What happens if I order Dish, Internet and Phone through Bell South (I already have AT&T Wireless) and then subsequently cancel my phone service? They said if I don't get phone at all, I have to get my TV through another provider directly.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:32 PM

473 posts, read 1,736,687 times
OH MY GOSH my Mother in law just called me up about this and said everytime she got someone (after holding forever) and she said she was cxling service.. she got disconnected. It happened 3x. She is so frustrated.

She just switched to Embarq with phone, DSL and Dish Network. They are running a special for free tv for a year is you qualify. (you have to agree to a 2 yr contract w/embarq). I hope it goes well for her. We have TWC phone and internet only and are fine with it. We use Directv for tv. Its about the same amount of money in the end.

L

Old 06-19-2008, 01:49 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,980,837 times
I have dish network...Its okay. The only complaint I have is that for the most minor storms, the connection goes out. Its kind of annoying..
As far as TWC is concerned, put down the phone and just go to their offices in person. Get there right when they open before the line piles in.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 PM

776 posts, read 1,683,843 times
Ok, so I am planning my escape from Time Warner. Basically, the HD channels are severely lacking, compared to say, DirecTV. We don't even have Discovery HD, which I remember having at one point. With Internet and digital cable, our bill is around $110/mo. And this is without any premium channels like HBO, Showtime, or Starz. Ridiculous. We did call Time Warner and pulled a "we're going thru some financial difficulties and are threatening to go to satellite...can you do anything for me?". The best they can do was $100/mo for two years. Oh and by the way, if you choose to cancel service within those two years, we'll charge you a $200 termination fee. Yeeeeeah...no thank you. I know if I call and cancel outright...they would probably have a whopping deal for us.

So I'm planning an escape to DirecTV. They're running a promo til 6/24 for $50/mo for the HD/DVR package for the first year. Wow.

But here I come with some questions for all you Triangle DirecTV subscribers.

Do you have any reception issues...during storms or what not? I've got a clear line of view towards the southern sky, so I figure I should be ok.

How was your experience with these local DirecTV installers? I've heard nightmarish stories from some people across the country and I'm afraid I'm gonna get a lazy installer or one that wants to charge me an arm and a leg. I just plan on having the dish mounted to the side of my house. I understand that they will need to run a second cable line for the DVR. I also want them to run a line into my bedroom. Can they just tap into the existing TWC cable lines...I mean, the dish will only be about 5 feet away from my TWC box outside. I dunno...I just don't want any surprises.

What is the best choice for Internet? I currently do not have phone service and am not looking into getting a phone line set up. I'm thinking about going to DSL and maybe even purchasing the 768K plan, but I'm afraid I might lose some speed from the high speed I have now.

All in all, if I can get a cheap plan...and satellite for $50/mo...I'm looking at a mere $50/mo I'll be saving.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:14 AM

455 posts, read 918,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Ok, so I am planning my escape from Time Warner. Basically, the HD channels are severely lacking, compared to say, DirecTV. We don't even have Discovery HD, which I remember having at one point.

We've never had Discovery HD in the Triangle on TWC. We had Discovery HD Theater which was renamed to HD Theater either late last year or earlier this year. This is/was more of a showcase channel of various HD shows/specials from all the Discovery owned channels. Discovery HD is a simulcast of the standard Discovery channel (some programming in HD, some stretched from what I understand).

Old 06-23-2008, 05:51 AM

321 posts, read 1,576,860 times
Quote:
Ok, so I am planning my escape from Time Warner. Basically, the HD channels are severely lacking, compared to say, DirecTV. We don't even have Discovery HD, which I remember having at one point. With Internet and digital cable, our bill is around $110/mo. And this is without any premium channels like HBO, Showtime, or Starz. Ridiculous. We did call Time Warner and pulled a "we're going thru some financial difficulties and are threatening to go to satellite...can you do anything for me?". The best they can do was $100/mo for two years. Oh and by the way, if you choose to cancel service within those two years, we'll charge you a $200 termination fee. Yeeeeeah...no thank you. I know if I call and cancel outright...they would probably have a whopping deal for us.

So I'm planning an escape to DirecTV. They're running a promo til 6/24 for $50/mo for the HD/DVR package for the first year. Wow.

But here I come with some questions for all you Triangle DirecTV subscribers.

Do you have any reception issues...during storms or what not? I've got a clear line of view towards the southern sky, so I figure I should be ok.

How was your experience with these local DirecTV installers? I've heard nightmarish stories from some people across the country and I'm afraid I'm gonna get a lazy installer or one that wants to charge me an arm and a leg. I just plan on having the dish mounted to the side of my house. I understand that they will need to run a second cable line for the DVR. I also want them to run a line into my bedroom. Can they just tap into the existing TWC cable lines...I mean, the dish will only be about 5 feet away from my TWC box outside. I dunno...I just don't want any surprises.

What is the best choice for Internet? I currently do not have phone service and am not looking into getting a phone line set up. I'm thinking about going to DSL and maybe even purchasing the 768K plan, but I'm afraid I might lose some speed from the high speed I have now.

All in all, if I can get a cheap plan...and satellite for $50/mo...I'm looking at a mere $50/mo I'll be saving.
My husband and I were discussing this a while ago. We did have Discovery HD on TWC at one point and now it's gone. While I am disappointed with TWC and hope there will be some competition for them soon in the cable arena I could not switch to satellite. In Tampa TWC got bought by Brighthouse networks and then the service dramatically improved. Maybe that will happen here. Some friends who had this in Florida were terribly disappointed and you're tied to a contract. Every time it stormed the reception was snowy and would sometimes cut out all together. Personal preference. Anyway, good luck with the choice.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:22 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
We've never had Discovery HD in the Triangle on TWC. We had Discovery HD Theater which was renamed to HD Theater either late last year or earlier this year. This is/was more of a showcase channel of various HD shows/specials from all the Discovery owned channels. Discovery HD is a simulcast of the standard Discovery channel (some programming in HD, some stretched from what I understand).
We DID have Discovery HD but it has disappeared sometime in the last couple months. It seems to have been about the same time that they did the big update.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:24 AM

321 posts, read 1,576,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
We DID have Discovery HD but it has disappeared sometime in the last couple months. It seems to have been about the same time that they did the big update.
Yes, and that new update is horrible. The guide is so much slower than before and the rewind / ffwd options on the DVR are all messed up. Very disappointed and wish we could go back to the old system.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:43 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,444,632 times
Default Love, love, love DirectTV

Quote:
Ok, so I am planning my escape from Time Warner. Basically, the HD channels are severely lacking, compared to say, DirecTV. We don't even have Discovery HD, which I remember having at one point. With Internet and digital cable, our bill is around $110/mo. And this is without any premium channels like HBO, Showtime, or Starz. Ridiculous.

Wow, Frrrunkis, that IS ridiculous. I have DirectTV, and for $110 month, I have two hookups (one in the bedroom, one in the family room), HD hookup on my nicer TV in the family room, and every channel offered, with the exception of the premium sports channels. For no more sports events than what I watch, what I get now is fine.

The nice thing about the HD channels is I have all of them that are offered, and right now, I get like two sets of the same channel -- HD and not HD, which is nice right now for the TV that will be obsolete next year.

The only thing I am disappointed about is that is seems many of the premium movie channels no longer show recent releases on a regular basis, and I have planned to look into going with something like NetFlix and canceling my premium channels. Seems silly to watch older movies repeatedly when that is 80% of what is available. I have wanted to see if by canceling them, if I wouldn't keep HBO and Showtime in the HD lineup anyway.

Still, I love my DirectTV. We have been loyal customers for years, going back to when they were PrimeStar. We have always opted for DirectTV, and only once in the past ten years or so did we have to go with Time Warner. I'd rather have NO cable unless the reception was so bad as to require it, and nothing else was available (as was in our apartment). But even then, the DirectTV hooked us up, and yes!, it was to the existing cable.

As for phone service, we have excellent service with AT&T, but then we have been loyal Bell South customers for decades, too. We use a high speed DSL service with them, and our only complaints have been with the Linksys box. When I called At&T to say we were being 'courted' hard by Vonage, AT&T reduced our bill to the same price for 6 months, and I am getting ready to call them again to renegotiate now that the 6 months is drawing to a close. The new price is still much lower than it was originally, but if they can do $24.95 monthly for 6 months, then what's the deal?

I think they are all in a racket when it comes to $$$. Any of them will charge what fools are willing to pay, myself included. As for service, Time Warner, in my experience, absolutely stinks, and I am not saying anything I haven't told them repeatedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary