Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Yorker looking to relocate to Wake County North Carolina, want somewhat of nightlife without being in heart of city, information on teaching certification in NC with NY teaching certification

Old 01-12-2007, 03:54 AM

9 posts, read 30,172 times

Advertisements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone. I am looking to move to Wake County- Cary, Raleigh, Chapel Hill area.. not too sure yet. I want an area that is pretty much developed and has somewhat of a night life, and shopping but at the same time is not right in the city.
I just graduated last month with a Bachelors in Elementary Education and I am a New York State certified teacher. Just looking for some info about the elementary schools in Wake county- I've been hearing all positive things so far so I'm happy!
Just wondering if anyone knows the requirements for NC teacher certification.
Would i be able to teach under my NY certification or do I have to take tests and pay for a new certification? If anyone is familiar with NY certification process, i had to take 3 tests (LAST, CST, and ATS-w)
Any help would be great

Also, any info about upcoming job fairs would be very helpful
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 07:20 AM

49 posts, read 185,869 times
I've heard that the spring job fair is April 13th. If New York is recipricoal you will still have to get certified in NC but they will let you teach while you are getting your certificate. They require you to take the Praxis even if you are certified in other states and have taken their tests. The website for North Carolina Public Schools is www.ncpublicschools.org and this is also a good website teach4nc.org

Old 01-12-2007, 07:50 AM

653 posts, read 2,986,218 times
www.teach4nc.com (not .org) is a great website to get information about licensing requirements. Chapel Hill is actually Orange County, but the schools there are top notch, too. Wake County schools are www.wcpss.net, you can get info on individual schools and check job postings.
Make sure you research year-round vs. traditional schools in Wake, since several of the elementary schools have been or will be converted to mandatory year-round schedules. (You can search other threads on this forum, and also get information on the Wake County website.)
Good luck! This is a great place to teach (I taught when we first relocated here) and there is a need for teachers, since the area is growing so quickly.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:58 AM

198 posts, read 910,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizz143 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone. I am looking to move to Wake County- Cary, Raleigh, Chapel Hill area.. not too sure yet. I want an area that is pretty much developed and has somewhat of a night life, and shopping but at the same time is not right in the city.
I just graduated last month with a Bachelors in Elementary Education and I am a New York State certified teacher. Just looking for some info about the elementary schools in Wake county- I've been hearing all positive things so far so I'm happy!
Just wondering if anyone knows the requirements for NC teacher certification.
Would i be able to teach under my NY certification or do I have to take tests and pay for a new certification? If anyone is familiar with NY certification process, i had to take 3 tests (LAST, CST, and ATS-w)
Any help would be great

Also, any info about upcoming job fairs would be very helpful
thanks!
I would plan to attend the spring job fair 4/14...registration wont open until March 9 on the website (wcpss). I too am relocating to Raleigh from Indiana. I spoke w/ a recruiter yesterday who emailed me tons of info and she is going to keep in touch with me. She also notfied me of when they will be in Indiana at surrounding colleges and univ. so I may save myself a trip coming. I would check for licensing requirements at teach4nc.org. I applied for initial in NC and was able to get my license quick. They require PPST and then Praxis II tests Elem Ed Curr/Instr/Assess. Dont quote me on that but their requirements mirrored Indiana. You should be fine.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:40 PM

9 posts, read 30,172 times
thanks so much, all the info was really helpful. I applied online for the certification, but i know i had a lot missing. I am going to try to call the HR department at the school. I saw on other threads a woman that everyone said was very helpful. Im just concerned that waiting to go to the job fair in April is kind of cutting it close to starting this next school year. I think i read that the school year starts in July or August. So that will really only give me about 3-4 months to get a job, find a place to live etc. Plus im sure ill need to make several trips down there before making a definate decision.

Im really nervous about this move.. It'll just be my boyfriend and myself. Like i said, were 23 & 24 just out of college, will be leaving all our friends and family to start our life out there (hopefully it will be a right and good decision for our future)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary